PDA

View Full Version : Shane Mosley vs Jose Luis Castillo @ 135

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Does Castillo go the distance with a prime Shane?

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Shane destroys him. Castillo is a B-class fighter.

IMO this would have been a mismatch.

Double L
08-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Shane destroys him. Castillo is a B-class fighter.

IMO this would have been a mismatch.

you can't be serious. and if you are, you might be stupid.

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 03:32 PM

:lol:

Yeah OK ... Castillo is a good solid fighter. However there is no way in hell he can match Mosely at 135.
Fuckin Mosely would hit him 3 times before he even fired off a shot. Mosely's skill is one level above Castillo.
Not to mention Mosely would match him in strength and stamina.
No fuckin way does Castillo ever match a prime Mosely!
Like I said , its a mismatch.

You might be stupid if you think Castillo is or ever was a top elite fighter.

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Lemme guess, you pick Castillo, right?:lol:

slystaff
08-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I pick Shane, but I can't see a mismatch. That's going too far. Shane by close decision.

Father of Muzse
08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I pick Shane, but I can't see a mismatch. That's going too far. Shane by close decision.

Hater.

Shane beats the hell out of Castillo.

have you seen Shane at 135. He was more active and faster than your boy Floyd who spent the majority of his time trying to NOT fight Castillo.

Shane would have won a wide UD.

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
:lol:

Yeah OK ... Castillo is a good solid fighter. However there is no way in hell he can match Mosely at 135.
Fuckin Mosely would hit him 3 times before he even fired off a shot. Mosely's skill is one level above Castillo.
Not to mention Mosely would match him in strength and stamina.
No fuckin way does Castillo ever match a prime Mosely!
Like I said , its a mismatch.

You might be stupid if you think Castillo is or ever was a top elite fighter.

Double will now tell you how underrated Castillo's skill and defense were.:lol:

Your right though, Shane would have lit him up. Not to say Castillo wasnt a very good fighter, but he'd be way too slow and hittable for Shane.

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Only if you consider 9-3 to be close. Shane stopping him with a body shot is also a very real possibility. A prime Mosley was a BETTER body puncher than Hatton.

slystaff
08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Hater.

Shane beats the hell out of Castillo.

have you seen Shane at 135. He was more active and faster than your boy Floyd who spent the majority of his time trying to NOT fight Castillo.

Shane would have won a wide UD.

Who did Shane fight at 135lbs that was in Castillo's class?

I musta missed that shit!

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Well for starters he destoyed Lejia. The same Lejia who went onto school Lazcano. The same Lazcano that Castillo lost 4 rounds to.

Its not just about opposition. Mosley is a proven quality fighter, and had too much speed and ability for Castillo.

slystaff
08-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Only if you consider 9-3 to be close. Shane stopping him with a body shot is also a very real possibility. A prime Mosley was a BETTER body puncher than Hatton.

Last I checked, Castillo had a better chin, harder punch and hands at least as fast as a one WILFREDO RIVERA. I didn't see Shane beating him by a 9-3 type dominating performance by the time it was stopped.

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 03:59 PM

Bro , you are just saying this shit because of the Castillo/Mayweather fight.

If they had never fought , I know you are really smart enough to know a prime Shane Mosely would beat the crap out of Castillo.

You shouldn't have PBF on your mind here. He is a different fighter with a completey different style then Mosely anyway.

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Last I checked, Castillo had a better chin, harder punch and hands at least as fast as a one WILFREDO RIVERA. I didn't see Shane beating him by a 9-3 type dominating performance by the time it was stopped.

Last I checked that fight was at WELTERWEIGHT, Shane's first fight at welter I may end. Castillo woulda LOST to Riveria at 147. This is a 135 matchup we're talking about here. Shane's right hand would unable to MISS Castillo's big ass head.

slystaff
08-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Bro , you are just saying this shit because of the Castillo/Mayweather fight.

If they had never fought , I know you are really smart enough to know a prime Shane Mosely would beat the crap out of Castillo.

You shouldn't have PBF on your mind here. He is a different fighter with a completey different style then Mosely anyway.

Good post. I agree with you in principle. Different styles. But I don't think it's a mismatch or dominating type performance. I've never seen Shane dominate ANYONE on Castillo's level.

slystaff
08-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Last I checked that fight was at WELTERWEIGHT, Shane's first fight at welter I may end. Castillo woulda LOST to Riveria at 147. This is a 135 matchup we're talking about here. Shane's right hand would unable to MISS Castillo's big ass head.

hahaha! You're one hilarious fella brother X.

When has Shane dominated a guy on Castillo's level?

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 04:06 PM
hahaha! You're one hilarious fella brother X.

When has Shane dominated a guy on Castillo's level?

He beat Oscar 8-4 in the first fight. I'm gonna be generous to Castillo and say he would win one less round than Hoya.

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Good post. I agree with you in principle. Different styles. But I don't think it's a mismatch or dominating type performance. I've never seen Shane dominate ANYONE on Castillo's level.

Castillo is like a Jeff Lacy in the sense that he is a solid good fighter and at times can look the part of an A-class fighter against certain opposition but , lets be real here. Just like Jeff Lacy , Castillo is a B-class fighter.

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 04:11 PM
He beat Oscar 8-4 in the first fight. I'm gonna be generous to Castillo and say he would win one less round than Hoya.

IMO , Shane would stop Castillo late in the fight.

Not the same styles at all but , the beating itself would be similar to Trinidad/Mayorga

Xplosive
08-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Castillo is like a Jeff Lacy in the sense that he is a solid good fighter and at times can look the part of an A-class fighter against certain opposition but , lets be real here. Just like Jeff Lacy , Castillo is a B-class fighter.

Nonsense! He would beat Arguello, Whitaker, and Pryor!

So Double once claimed.:lol:

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Nonsense! He would beat Arguello, Whitaker, and Pryor!

So Double once claimed.:lol:

:lol: :lol:

slystaff
08-17-2007, 04:21 PM

I had Shane winning 7 rounds to 5, and it was a split decision if i remember correctly.

CleanYourClock
08-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I had Shane winning 7 rounds to 5, and it was a split decision if i remember correctly.

Doesn't matter. That was at 147 anyway.

If Castillo had fought the Oscar of that night , he would have been in the fuckin hospital with brain damage.

Father of Muzse
08-17-2007, 04:34 PM

You're right, it wasn't a 9-3 type performance...

It was 9-0 and it was a 10 round fight!

slystaff
08-17-2007, 04:40 PM
You're right, it wasn't a 9-3 type performance...

It was 9-0 and it was a 10 round fight!

You had Shane winning every round of that fight?

Father of Muzse
08-17-2007, 05:01 PM
You had Shane winning every round of that fight?

I believe I did.

That's a fight revisionist historians act like Shane almost lost when the truth of the matter is, it was a decent scrap that Shane won by KO.

Cats act like it was a come from behind victory or a fight barely within Shane's reach.

It kinda reminds me of the Toney-Jirov fight when guys act like James whupped Jirov's ass the whole night when the truth of the matter is, the fight was up for grabs going into the 12th.

Or...

Oscar fight with Molina. Oscar EASILY won 8 rounds that night and you could make a case for giving Molina maybe three rounds.

Same thing...different haters.

Double L
08-17-2007, 06:05 PM

exactly. if he doesn't have an easy time with gomez, he certainly doesn't dominate Castillo.

wins over the likes of John Brown and Leija don't impress me.

Father of Muzse
08-17-2007, 06:20 PM
exactly. if he doesn't have an easy time with gomez, he certainly doesn't dominate Castillo.

wins over the likes of John Brown and Leija don't impress me.

No matter how skilled Castillo was, he's still far too slow to deal with Shane. Mind you I like Castillo and I was one of the FIRST to speak about how he'd give Floyd hell PRIOR to the first fight.

With all of that said, at 135 Shane's hands were too fast and chin was too good for Castillo to seriously threaten him. Not to mention, at 135 Shane was one hell of a body puncher and more importantly...

Castillo had a size and strength advantage over the vast majority of his lightweight counterparties...that would not have been the case vs Shane. Shane usually weighed 147 the night of his fights.

As we've seen Shane go up in weight and handle bigger punchers, there's no doubt Castillo couldn't hurt him. Plus, to date, Shane has NEVER had problems with guys his height or shorter.

slystaff
08-17-2007, 06:29 PM
No matter how skilled Castillo was, he's still far too slow to deal with Shane. Mind you I like Castillo and I was one of the FIRST to speak about how he'd give Floyd hell PRIOR to the first fight.

With all of that said, at 135 Shane's hands were too fast and chin was too good for Castillo to seriously threaten him. Not to mention, at 135 Shane was one hell of a body puncher and more importantly...

Castillo had a size and strength advantage over the vast majority of his lightweight counterparties...that would not have been the case vs Shane. Shane usually weighed 147 the night of his fights.

As we've seen Shane go up in weight and handle bigger punchers, there's no doubt Castillo couldn't hurt him. Plus, to date, Shane has NEVER had problems with guys his height or shorter.

I respect you very much as a fight analyst, you know this Musze, and as such you should know that Shane's handspeed is largely irrelevant because of the way he fights: slugging in spurts.

He's handspeed is only an obvious advantage in the first couple of rounds, before he becomes stationary. He was the same at lightweight.

Shane tended to have a size advanatge over his lightweight foes also.

He and Castillo would be the same height and size, Castillo would take EVERY punch than Shane threw (Shane didn't punch anywhere near as hard as Corrales) and would beat him for Workrate (or AT LEAST match him).

Shane would win, but it wouldn't be easy.

Xplosive
08-18-2007, 03:03 AM

Yeah a split decision cause one judge musta been corrupt as fuck! You COULD give Oscar 5 rounds, but personally I thought it was 8-4 Mosley. Thats how Lederman scored it as well, and I dont always agree with Harold's card, but in this fight I did.

lb 4 lb
08-18-2007, 09:31 AM
I believe I did.

That's a fight revisionist historians act like Shane almost lost when the truth of the matter is, it was a decent scrap that Shane won by KO.

Cats act like it was a come from behind victory or a fight barely within Shane's reach.

It kinda reminds me of the Toney-Jirov fight when guys act like James whupped Jirov's ass the whole night when the truth of the matter is, the fight was up for grabs going into the 12th.

Or...

Oscar fight with Molina. Oscar EASILY won 8 rounds that night and you could make a case for giving Molina maybe three rounds.

Same thing...different haters.Completely agree FoM. The 1st time I saw that fight I too thought it was close. Go back and rewatch it and you'll see that Shane seemed to be having more problems with his stamina than he did with Rivera. He looked fine in that fight and was easily handling Rivera like all the other opponents he whipped.

I respect you very much as a fight analyst, you know this Musze, and as such you should know that Shane's handspeed is largely irrelevant because of the way he fights: slugging in spurts.

He's handspeed is only an obvious advantage in the first couple of rounds, before he becomes stationary. He was the same at lightweight.

He and Castillo would be the same height and size, Castillo would take EVERY punch than Shane threw (Shane didn't punch anywhere near as hard as Corrales) and would beat him for Workrate (or AT LEAST match him).

Shane would win, but it wouldn't be easy.Bullshit. Mosley never had stamina problems at LW and rarely at WW. It wasn't until he went to 154 and back to 147 that he's seemed to age and show the stamina problems that not surprisingly have crept up. Stop rewritting history to be right. I've seen LW fights where Shane slugged for several rds only to come out in the latter rds on his toes & box the guy and get him out of there in the same rd. You know, kind of like he did in the 2nd Vargas fight.

I realize why you and Double L suck at fight analyzations Sly. It's because rather than compare the fights and styles of the 2 combatants who are matched up against each other. You 2 pick a fight 1 of them had against someone totally different and use that as your measuring stick rather than actually analyzing the guy they're going up against.

CleanYourClock
08-20-2007, 01:27 PM

I agree. I don't see Shane having anymore problems with Castillo then he had against Vargas in the rematch.
IMO that is the worst case scenario for Shane in this matchup.

He beats Castillo the same way he beat Vargas in the second fight , or he wins even more convincingly then that.
I would bet he is even more dominant. Castillo is just too slow and Mosely can bang pretty hard.

phonetap
08-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Shane would win, but it wouldn't be easy.

you know you think castillo would win...:lol:

Donnybrook
08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't see Shane having anymore problems with Castillo then he had against Vargas in the rematch.
IMO that is the worst case scenario for Shane in this matchup.

He beats Castillo the same way he beat Vargas in the second fight , or he wins even more convincingly then that.
I

Ok, brother CYC, no matter what you think of this match-up, comparing the results to Mosley-Vargas II is ridiculous, man.

Come on, now.

People forget...Castillo had a prime at 135, too.

It seems it's the 140/47 lb. Castillo in the Hatton fight that's in everyone's head.

Mosley wins this fight, no doubt, in a clear decision.

But I would say it's definitely competitive; due to Castillo's excellent late-rounds surges and the fact that Mosley loooved to trade and exchange, especially at 135.

Those two elements create opportunity for Castillo to make this a competitive, action-filled fight.

People are under-estimating Castillo's handspeed, resiliency, infighting skills and footwork - and stamina, of all things - at 135, closer to his prime.

Also - again, Mosley does not fight inside. JLC does.

To me it's a great 8-4 or 7-5 type fight with Mosley winning clear but having to work very hard for it, especially late.

Peace.

slystaff
08-20-2007, 02:34 PM
you know you think castillo would win...:lol:

Nah...he's too slow ultimately to have beaten Shane at 135.

Double L
08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I realize why you and Double L suck at fight analyzations Sly. It's because rather than compare the fights and styles of the 2 combatants who are matched up against each other. You 2 pick a fight 1 of them had against someone totally different and use that as your measuring stick rather than actually analyzing the guy they're going up against.

oh, you mean in our "analyzations" we prefer to base our judgements on concrete evidence rather than on baseless conjecture?

what better way to predict the response of a fighter in a particular matchup than to think of the response of a similar fighter who actually took part in the matchup?

the room for error then is in your choice of which fighter to use for comparison. those pointing to vargas as evidence that Mosley would destroy Castillo, for example, have a weak argument.

and really that's what makes this match-up very debatable - the fact that Mosley never fought, let alone beat, anyone at 135 who was as good as Castillo.

CleanYourClock
08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
oh, you mean in our "analyzations" we prefer to base our judgements on concrete evidence rather than on baseless conjecture?

what better way to predict the response of a fighter in a particular matchup than to think of the response of a similar fighter who actually took part in the matchup?

the room for error then is in your choice of which fighter to use for comparison. those pointing to vargas as evidence that Mosley would destroy Castillo, for example, have a weak argument.

and really that's what makes this match-up very debatable - the fact that Mosley never fought, let alone beat, anyone at 135 who was as good as Castillo.

Just so you know , thats is not what I said.
I said I don't see Mosely having any harder of a time with Castillo.
I did not base that opinion from the actual Vargas fight.

Double L
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Just so you know , thats is not what I said.
I said I don't see Mosely having any harder of a time with Castillo.
I did not base that opinion from the actual Vargas fight.

you said this indirectly, didn't you? if you're saying that Mosley would have no more trouble with Castillo than he did with Vargas, aren't you saying that Castillo, at 135 in his prime, was no better than a shot and weight drained Vargas?

CleanYourClock
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
you said this indirectly, didn't you? if you're saying that Mosley would have no more trouble with Castillo than he did with Vargas, aren't you saying that Castillo, at 135 in his prime, was no better than a shot and weight drained Vargas?

I understand why you might have thought that but really , I just used the Vargas rematch because it was fresh in my memory.
I did not mean just because Shane beat Vargas , he would have beaten Castillo at 135.
Though , IMO that is pretty much how the fight would really go. Only difference is that both guys would have been younger ,faster etc.

Explosivo
08-21-2007, 01:20 AM
I cannot believe that this MM has this much debate.

Shane Mosley @ 135 is probably as close to unbeatable as any fighter has been in over three decades.

Shane Mosley would be too tough for Castillo to KO.....and way too fast and skilled for JLC to outpoint.

Castillo's jaw is solid,..but I guarantee you that Mosley's bodyshots at lightweight were just as effective as Hatton's are at Jr. Welter.

Mosley by wide UD.

Explosivo
08-21-2007, 01:26 AM

:bears:

Great post.

Double L
08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I cannot believe that this MM has this much debate.

Shane Mosley @ 135 is probably as close to unbeatable as any fighter has been in over three decades.

Shane Mosley would be too tough for Castillo to KO.....and way too fast and skilled for JLC to outpoint.

Castillo's jaw is solid,..but I guarantee you that Mosley's bodyshots at lightweight were just as effective as Hatton's are at Jr. Welter.

Mosley by wide UD.

how do you figure? because he managed to stop John Brown? the guy was good. and @135, strong as hell. for sure. but, "as close to unbeatable as any fighter has been in over three decades?"

gimme a fkin break. it'd be one thing if he'd fought anyone @135, but he didn't.

it's so funny how the most "unbeatable" fighters, especially today, are the ones who never fought anyone.

joony
08-21-2007, 10:41 AM
castillo was a strong for a lightweight but not strong enough for 140 or 147.

mosley was the faster and stronger guy at any weight and would've beaten him up and won a wide decision.

lb 4 lb
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
how do you figure? because he managed to stop John Brown? the guy was good. and @135, strong as hell. for sure. but, "as close to unbeatable as any fighter has been in over three decades?"

gimme a fkin break. it'd be one thing if he'd fought anyone @135, but he didn't.

it's so funny how the most "unbeatable" fighters, especially today, are the ones who never fought anyone.Like I've often explained to brother Ike. Another indicator of greatness is ones longevity as champion and how impressively they've defeated their competition. Shane's 8 title defenses all by KO goes a long way. Besides, Shane may not have fought any so called great LW's but he did move up to WW and defeat an alltime great in ODLH. That alone should let us know he would have easily handled the pressure and power of Castillo and likely would have stopped him with his commitment to body work. Bottom line is Castillo had a style that Shane consistently excelled against. I just couldn't see him winning here.

Anyway, you keep up your consistently good work of arguing against Shane rather than for him, seeing as how your such a big fan of his. :rolleyes:

Father of Muzse
08-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok, brother CYC, no matter what you think of this match-up, comparing the results to Mosley-Vargas II is ridiculous, man.

Come on, now.

People forget...Castillo had a prime at 135, too.

It seems it's the 140/47 lb. Castillo in the Hatton fight that's in everyone's head.

Mosley wins this fight, no doubt, in a clear decision.

But I would say it's definitely competitive; due to Castillo's excellent late-rounds surges and the fact that Mosley loooved to trade and exchange, especially at 135.

Those two elements create opportunity for Castillo to make this a competitive, action-filled fight.

People are under-estimating Castillo's handspeed, resiliency, infighting skills and footwork - and stamina, of all things - at 135, closer to his prime.

Also - again, Mosley does not fight inside. JLC does.

To me it's a great 8-4 or 7-5 type fight with Mosley winning clear but having to work very hard for it, especially late.

Peace.

The difference in speed and Mosley's willingness to fight early would thwart any late rally Castillo could muster.

Castillo essentially caught up with Mayweather because Mayweather was intent on NOT engaging him early in their fights. Mayweather had no other choice but to settle down as the fight went on; therefore, Castillo was able to pace himself.

Castillo was always viewed as a "slow starter", but rarely was he in with a guy who could match in power. Even in his matches with Johnston, he wasn't overly concerned with 'Lil But Bad seriously hurting him. Especially not the way Shane would have.

Put Castillo in with Mosley who would make him work harder earlier, I'm not certain Castillo has a late rally in him.

Donnybrook
08-21-2007, 06:58 PM
The difference in speed and Mosley's willingness to fight early would thwart any late rally Castillo could muster.

Castillo essentially caught up with Mayweather because Mayweather was intent on NOT engaging him early in their fights. Mayweather had no other choice but to settle down as the fight went on; therefore, Castillo was able to pace himself.

Castillo was always viewed as a "slow starter", but rarely was he in with a guy who could match in power. Even in his matches with Johnston, he wasn't overly concerned with 'Lil But Bad seriously hurting him. Especially not the way Shane would have.

Put Castillo in with Mosley who would make him work harder earlier, I'm not certain Castillo has a late rally in him.

I hear what you're saying....but Castillo, to your point, has almost always been a slow starter beyond just the PBF matches...and has increased his output, physicality and aggression as the fight wears on.

And we have seen that Castillo, when he IS in with a guy with power (Corrales; whose power arguably rivaled his own in terms of 1-shot power); didn't take a step backward...and performed some of his best work.

Yes, he was worn down by round 10...but Corrales hands-down hits harder than Mosley at 135; and committed to every single shot, center ring....Mosley wouldn't do that. And Castillo was still on his feet, there was some controversy...and that was with Corrales winging away taking clean, FULL shots at him.

Additionally, that fight happened when JLC was already 32 years old.

That's not the JLC that would be "in the ring" with Mosley.

I do think the Johnston and Mayweather matches are telling, because they show how JLC could match and stay in with guys with superior handspeed and movement.

Also, Mosley has ALWAYS been a fighter who stops his opponents by attrition....by accumulation.

Yes, he was a bigger physical force and a pretty big hitter at 135; but even then he got them outta there by wearing them down and overwhelming opponents with sheer volume of punches in bunches. And he did get buzzed by a Morales right hand at 135.

He was never in at 135 with an opponent nearly as good - or as BIG or strong physically - as Castillo....and you have to ask the same question of Mosley that you are of JLC - how would being in with someone just as big and strong; who can match him for power to head and body; affect Shane?

Especially when Mosely never liked to stay hit; he was thinking offense when he was in against aggressive fighters...and was willing to depend on his speed and thus be open up the middle with his chin up when firing away combinations.

It's not like he's going to be able to fire away with impunity and not worry about the incoming or counters, the way he did with smaller, lighter-hitting opponents at 135. For trying to go to the body often, Shane would be punished.

The very same argument you have against Castillo, you have to apply to Shane.

Mosley slowed down against even smaller, lighter-hitting opponents in the late rounds....how does he do vs. JLC?

Shane was never in at 135 with someone as good as JLC. Spent Molina? Gomez? Holiday? Johnson? Brown?

Also, people hate to hear it, but Mosley did and does like to fight in spurts; while JLC was a very consistent worker. That works in JLC's favor.

No, Castillo doesn't stop Shane - Mosley's chin is world-class.

I believe Mosely wins this contest clearly...no dispute there. He's proven his strength, resiliency, speed, chin and ability to win all the way up to 154.

But he doesn't win in wide, dominating fashion against an in-prime JLC at 135. That I certainly disagree with.

Peace.

LOK
08-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Shane destroys him