PDA

View Full Version : Lewis, Canizales, Brian Mitchell Voted Into Hall of Fame

Jake
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
... as well as TWIN's favorite announcer :lol:

CANASTOTA, NY - DECEMBER 9, 2008 - The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum announced today the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall. Living inductees include bantamweight champion Orlando Canizales (USA), heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis (UK), junior lightweight champion Brian Mitchell (South Africa), matchmaker / publicist / promoter Bob Goodman (USA), promoter Akihiko Honda (Japan), journalist Hugh McIlvaney (UK) and broadcaster Larry Merchant (USA).

"We're extremely excited about the Class of 2009 and very much looking forward to honoring the 20th class of inductees," said Executive Director Edward Brophy. "All living inductees are anticipated to attend and participate in 2009 Hall of Fame Weekend festivities."

The 20th Annual Hall of Fame Weekend is scheduled for June 11-14th in Canastota, NY. Over 20 events, including a golf tournament, banquet, parade and autograph card show, are planned. An impressive celebrity lineup of boxing greats of yesterday and today will attend this year's Induction Weekend. The highlight of the weekend will be the Official Enshrinement
Ceremony on the Hall of Fame Museum Grounds in Canastota, New York on Sunday, June 14th to welcome the newest members.

The Hall of Fame also released names of posthumous honorees:
middleweight champion William "Gorilla" Jones, welterweight champion "Mysterious" Billy Smith and middleweight champion Billy Soose in the Old-Timer Category; manager Billy Gibson and commissioner Abe J. Greene in the Non-Participant Category; journalist Paul Gallico in the Observer Category; and Tom Hyer in the Pioneer Category.

Inductees were voted in by members of the Boxing Writers Association and a panel of international boxing historians.

COMMENTS UPON RECEIVING INDUCTION NEWS

"It's truly an honor. Being elected into the Hall of Fame feels wonderful. There has been a lot of the greatest fighters inducted in the Hall of Fame and it's unbelievable to be in the Hall with them."
- Orlando Canizales

"I'm proud and honored to be selected into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. I'm humbled to be considered among the greats in my field by esteemed boxing historians and professionals. My journey began over 30 years ago when I put on my first pair of gloves. I continued boxing because I loved the sport and I received tremendous support from my family and coaches. To know that all of those years of hard work and sacrifice through my amateur
and professional career have been recognized and appreciated by the best in the boxing community is a great feeling. I can't wait to join everyone in Canastota in June to celebrate."
- Lennox Lewis

"I'm ecstatic! This is the most awesome news you've ever given me. I was a very proud WBA / IBF world champion and this will be my greatest achievement ever. This is an award I've been waiting for my whole life."
- Brian Mitchell

"This is unbelievable. I'm almost speechless for the first time in my life. I was hoping that someday I would join my father in the Hall of Fame. This is overwhelming. It's the honor of a lifetime."
- Bob Goodman

"As someone who has found boxing irresistible since my earliest days, I consider my induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame one of the greatest honors of my career in journalism."
- Hugh McIlvanney

"Television is the medium of show and tell. The show, meaning the fighters, are the most mportant by far. I'm just one of the tellers and I am deeply honored to be a footnote of all the great fighters that are in the Hall of Fame."
- Larry Merchant

For more information on the events planned for the 2009 International Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend, please call the Hall of Fame at (315) 697-7095 or visit www.ibhof.com (http://www.ibhof.com).

- ### -

Mitchell Kane
12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I might have to think about making the trip next year for Lewis' induction. :bears:

Jake
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Definitely

Joe King
12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Definitely
:bears:

Father of Muzse
12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Must say...damn near had a heart attack when I read "Brian Mitchell."

I said to myself, "the slama from 'bama" made it?????

:doh:

Father of Muzse
12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Definitely

I think you meant "absolutely"

Jake
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Ah, that's right, I forgot he expanded his vocabulary earlier this year.

Mitchell Kane
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Ah, that's right, I forgot he expanded his vocabulary earlier this year.

I do think he's improved a lot.

His call during the Hatton-Malignaggi fight was much better than when he started...and that wasn't with Papa setting him up.

Arben
12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Every year I want to make the trip, but there's always something else going on for me or a big fight going on in New York.

Hanz
12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Lewis needs cue cards to help him out. That's the best way.

SAW
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm happy to see Orlando Canizales' name on the list. He is/was one of my favorite fighters to watch and even though his accomplishments didn't necessarily make him a "lock", I'm glad to see him inducted regardless.

Hanz
12-09-2008, 04:31 PM
How the f*ck did this guy SAW, with only 22 posts, become a mod? :laughing:

Mitchell Kane
12-09-2008, 04:33 PM
How the f*ck did this guy SAW, with only 22 posts, become a mod? :laughing:

People liked the movies?

Hanz
12-09-2008, 04:34 PM
People liked the movies?

Ok but mod status? Some guys have been here for like 5 years and still haven't become mods.

Mitchell Kane
12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok but mod status? Some guys have been here for like 5 years and still haven't become mods.

Is that a particular goal of yours?

Hanz
12-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Is that a particular goal of yours?

Yeah, and first thing I'll do is ban mofos on here except for my friends.

StingerKarl
12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Mitchell was a good kid, but I can think of a lot of guys better qualified than him to go in.

Mitchell Kane
12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, and first thing I'll do is ban mofos on here except for my friends.

It's hard to see why you're not one already.

Jake
12-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Mitchell was a good kid, but I can think of a lot of guys better qualified than him to go in.
I was actually more surprised to see Canizales make it in on the first try (though unsure why this was his first year on the ballot).

I voted for Mitchell this year, one of my seven picks (Canizales wasn't one of them)

Hanz
12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
It's hard to see why you're not one already.

With that attitude, you'd be the first to go, Mitchell.

SAW
12-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I was actually more surprised to see Canizales make it in on the first try (though unsure why this was his first year on the ballot).

I voted for Mitchell this year, one of my seven picks (Canizales wasn't one of them)

This was his first year of eligibility? I could have sworn he's been on the ballot before...guess not.

ArturoGatti
12-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Must say...damn near had a heart attack when I read "Brian Mitchell."

I said to myself, "the slama from 'bama" made it?????

:doh:
same.

Jake
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
This was his first year of eligibility? I could have sworn he's been on the ballot before...guess not.
i don't believe so. then again, I didn't vote last year, it's possible he was added then. he wasn't on the last time I voted which was the year prior.

That said - it's not that it was his first year of eligibility. It was just the 1st time I saw his name on the ballot. Bobby Chacon had to wait more than a decade before finally being added - and that was only at the insistence of more than a few writers (including myself).

Tam Tam
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Canizales is in? I guess Virgil Hill will make it too now. Yay.

StingerKarl
12-09-2008, 04:58 PM

The kid that beat Tony Lopez, right Jake?

What did he do besides that?

Again, he was a good kid, IMO no way HOF worthy.

Jake
12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Do you believe Canizales should've made it in on the first try?

boxingnotboxers
12-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, it's not an overwhelming list, but can't really complain. I guess I'd like to know who was also on the ballot though.

Jake
12-09-2008, 06:15 PM
The kid that beat Tony Lopez, right Jake?

What did he do besides that?

Again, he was a good kid, IMO no way HOF worthy.
To answer your question, though...

- 13 defenses of the lineal super featherweight crown (not a paper title, but the one that traces all the way back to at last Flash Eldore),

- Grand total of zero title defenses at home. Entire reign (save for the night he won the belt) spent on the road with nine of the 13 in his opponent's home country.

- Never lost a world title fight (12-0-2), and in fact only lost once throughout his career.

I agree with you that he's not an immediate HOF choice... but then, he's been on the ballot for most of the decade, and I felt paid his dues in that regard. Of the names listed, I didn't see a lot that deserved to go in, in front of him.

Tam Tam
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Just a general comment on the Hall and the voting process in general. Not singling you out Jake, you're just the only one here so I ask; if Mitchell wasn't good enough a decade ago, why now?

I HATE that the Hall has to induct fighters every year. In weak years, far less than great fighters are sneaking their way in. Barry freaking MGuigan is in there for christs sake. Nigel Benn will probably get in at some point as well. Like I said before, Hill is going to get in for sure now that Canizales made it.

All it takes is a down year and so-so fighters make it, all the while the continual negligence of great lighter weight fighters continues. How is Jung-Koo Chang not there? Yuh?

Barry McGuigan.

Jake
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Just a general comment on the Hall and the voting process in general. Not singling you out Jake, you're just the only one here so I ask; if Mitchell wasn't good enough a decade ago, why now?

I HATE that the Hall has to induct fighters every year. In weak years, far less than great fighters are sneaking their way in. Barry freaking MGuigan is in there for christs sake. Nigel Benn will probably get in at some point as well. Like I said before, Hill is going to get in for sure now that Canizales made it.

All it takes is a down year and so-so fighters make it, all the while the continual negligence of great lighter weight fighters continues. How is Jung-Koo Chang not there? Yuh?

Barry McGuigan.
It's a fair question. In the past, I've voted for other fighters over Mitchell, not that he was my first (or second) choice this year. I viewed him as "one day worthy, but right now others get my vote."

This was the first year I voted for him. I also voted for Lewis, Chang (third time voting for him), Yuh (also third time), Ohba, Lloyd Marshall (second time voting for him)... and that's it. Damn, six this year, I thought I voted seven.

Valid point on mandatory selections every year, but it's really the only weekend of the year when the town sees a serious revenue spike. Sucks that it has to be like that, but at the very least, trimming down from four to three is a step in the right direction.

Jake
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Funny you mention Benn, though... he's yet to make the ballot. Same with Eubank, Julian Jackson and a few other modern day fighters. I mention them only because come time for 2013 voting, I'm all but positive that Arturo Gatti and Fernando Vargas will both find their way to the ballot. And I'm kinda scared that, given today's voters, both will get voted in.

Joe King
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
All of the HOFs in every sport should have only ONE year of eligibility per candidate. It's ridiculous and lowers the standards.

Tam Tam
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
It's a fair question. In the past, I've voted for other fighters over Mitchell, not that he was my first (or second) choice this year. I viewed him as "one day worthy, but right now others get my vote."

This was the first year I voted for him. I also voted for Lewis, Chang (third time voting for him), Yuh (also third time), Ohba, Lloyd Marshall (second time voting for him)... and that's it. Damn, six this year, I thought I voted seven.

Valid point on mandatory selections every year, but it's really the only weekend of the year when the town sees a serious revenue spike. Sucks that it has to be like that, but at the very least, trimming down from four to three is a step in the right direction.
Don't get me wrong I hadn't considered what the Hall weekend would mean for the community. Thats a valid point. Mine (as always) is just centered on what it means from a boxing standpoint and the ideology behind mandatory elections and the mindset of "not this year, maybe next". I believe it seriously degenerates the quality standard for entrants and might create some odd inclusions.

Good to see that you voted for Obah as well as the other two little people.

Tam Tam
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Funny you mention Benn, though... he's yet to make the ballot. Same with Eubank, Julian Jackson and a few other modern day fighters. I mention them only because come time for 2013 voting, I'm all but positive that Arturo Gatti and Fernando Vargas will both find their way to the ballot. And I'm kinda scared that, given today's voters, both will get voted in.

"Funny" is probably the wrong word, but hearing that he hasn't made a ballot yet is "funny" to me. :hammert:

Jake
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't get me wrong I hadn't considered what the Hall weekend would mean for the community. Thats a valid point. Mine (as always) is just centered on what it means from a boxing standpoint and the ideology behind mandatory elections and the mindset of "not this year, maybe next". I believe it seriously degenerates the quality standard for entrants and might create some odd inclusions.

Good to see that you voted for Obah as well as the other two little people.
I totally agree with you, there's very little integrity left in what it means to be a Hall of Fame fighter today. It's almost said that we can argue a fighter being Hall of Fame worthy, yet laugh when that same fighter is suggested as an all-time great - or in the case of McGuigan and quite a few others, not even "just" great.

Hitman
12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
wow good stuff... if the economy doesn't completely tank i shall be making a trip out there in June.

StingerKarl
12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
To answer your question, though...

- 13 defenses of the lineal junior featherweight crown (not a paper title, but the one that traces all the way back to at last Flash Eldore),

- Grand total of zero title defenses at home. Entire reign (save for the night he won the belt) spent on the road with nine of the 13 in his opponent's home country.

- Never lost a world title fight (12-0-2), and in fact only lost once throughout his career.

I agree with you that he's not an immediate HOF choice... but then, he's been on the ballot for most of the decade, and I felt paid his dues in that regard. Of the names listed, I didn't see a lot that deserved to go in, in front of him.

I should have phrased that, who did he beat besides Lopez?

The guy was an arm puncher, he didn't set himself well, IMO.

I respected the kid as a fighter, but to me he was very ordinary and in the right place at the right time as he faced very weak opposition.

Now Elorde, THAT was a Great Fighter.

Mitchell Kane
12-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Associated Press:

Short biographies of the 14 boxing hall inductees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CANASTOTA, N.Y. -- A brief look at the 14 people who will be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame on June 14, 2009:

ORLANDO CANIZALES -- Born Nov. 25, 1965, Laredo, Texas. Began professional career in August 1984. Won NABF flyweight title from Armando Velasco in 1987 with a fourth-round KO. In 1988, he added USBA super flyweight title with a second-round TKO over Louis Curtis. Moved up in weight and won the IBF bantamweight championship with a 15th-round TKO over Kelvin Seabrooks. Over the next six years, Canizales successfully defended his title a division-record 16 consecutive times. Abdicated title in 1994 to fight as super bantamweight and dropped 12-round split decision to WBA champion Wilfredo Benitez in January 1995. Retired in 1999 with a record of 50-5-1 and 37 KOs.

PAUL GALLICO -- Born July 26, 1897 in New York. Famed novelist ("Poseidon Adventure," "The Pride of the Yankees"), sports writer for the New York Daily News and creator of the Golden Gloves boxing tournament in 1927. Gallico famously sparred with Jack Dempsey -- and was knocked out in two minutes -- to write a column about what it was like to be hit by the heavyweight champion. Died July 15, 1976.

BILLY GIBSON -- Born in 1876. Manager of Hall of Fame champions (lightweight) Benny Leonard and (heavyweight) Gene Tunney, also served as a matchmaker and promoter at the Fairmont Athletic Club and Madison Square Garden in early 1900s-1920s. Died July 21, 1947.

BOB GOODMAN -- Born June 8, 1939, in New York. Son of Hall of Fame publicist Murray Goodman. With his father, formed Murray Goodman Associates and handled public relations for major bouts involving Ken Norton, Bob Foster, Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali and big events for Top Rank and Don King Productions. Later became matchmaker at Madison Square Garden Boxing.

ABE GREENE -- Born in 1899, credited with revitalizing boxing in New Jersey. Worked as a newspaperman at the Paterson Evening News for 56 years. Served as New Jersey state boxing commissioner from 1937-1953 and from 1971-1983. Was president of National Boxing Association 1941-1948 and in 1970 elected lifetime commissioner by the WBA. Died Sept. 22, 1988.

AKIHIKO HONDA -- Born Sept. 9, 1947. Took over Teiken Promotions at age 17 following untimely death of father and developed it into one of Japan's most influential and successful promotional companies. Among the fights promoted were ones involving Mike Tyson, Tony Tubbs and Buster Douglas. Has guided the careers of more than a half dozen champions, including current fighters Roman Gonzales and Edwin Valero.

TOM HYER -- Born Jan. 1, 1819, is the first recognized heavyweight champion of America. Won the title in 1841 by defeating George McChester in 101 rounds, a fight that took nearly three hours. Died of a heart attack at age 45 on June 26, 1864.

WILLIAM "GORILLA" JONES -- Born in Memphis, Tenn., May 12, 1906. Turned pro in 1924. Jones stopped Oddone Piazza with a sixth-round TKO to win NBA middleweight title in 1931. After title loss to Marcel Thil, Jones regained the NBA crown in 1933 with a seventh-round KO of Sammy Slaughter. Retired in 1940 with a career mark of 101-24-13 and 52 KOs. In retirement, became chauffeur and bodyguard for Hollywood starlet Mae West. Died Jan. 4, 1982.

LENNOX LEWIS -- Born Sept. 2, 1965, in West Ham, England. Defeated Riddick Bowe for 1988 Olympic super heavyweight gold medal. Turned professional in 1989 and claimed vacant WBC heavyweight title with a second-round TKO of Donovan "Razor" Ruddock in 1992. After losing championship to Oliver McCall in 1994, took it back in 1997 with a fifth-round TKO. Fought to a controversial draw in March 1999 with Evander Holyfield in what was then the highest-grossing fight ever at Madison Square Garden. Defeated Holyfield eight months later to win WBA/IBF belts and unify championship. Reclaimed the title in a 2001 rematch with Hasim Rahman. Knocked out Mike Tyson in the 8th round in 2002. Retired in 2003 with a record of 41-2-1 and 32 KOs.

HUGH MCILVANNEY -- Born in Kilmamock, Scotland, in Feb. 2, 1934. One of the most respected voices in British sports journalism, McIlvanney is an award-winning writer. He currently writes a weekly column for The Sunday Times and has been ringside for boxing legends from Muhammad Ali to Roy Jones Jr.

LARRY MERCHANT -- Born Feb. 11, 1931, in New York City, has been a sports writer for the Philadelphia Daily News, New York Post and Los Angeles Herald-Examiner. In 1978, he joined HBO sports as an expert analyst for boxing.

BRIAN MITCHELL -- Born Aug. 30, 1961 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Turned pro in 1981 and won South African junior lightweight crown in 1983. Won the WBA title in September 1986 with 10th-round TKO of Alfredo Layne and defended the title 12 consecutive times before he was stripped of it in 1991. Won the IBF belt later in 1991 with a 12-round win over Tony "The Tiger" Lopez. Retired in 1995 with a record of 45-1-3 and 21 KOs.

"MYSTERIOUS" BILLY SMITH -- Born May 15, 1871, in Little River, Nova Scotia. Turned professional in 1890. Although he had quick hands, Smith was more known for his often blatant disregard for the rules and became known as "The Dirtiest Fighter Who Ever Lived." Held the world welterweight title 1892-1894 and 1898-1900. Retired in 1915. Died Oct. 15, 1937.

BILLY SOOSE -- Born Aug. 2, 1915 in Farrell, Pa. Posted 170 wins in 176 amateur bouts. Soose was a three-time Golden Gloves middleweight champion and U.S. amateur champion. Won the 1937 intercollegiate title at Penn State. Was so dominant that boxing officials passed a law barring Golden Gloves winners from intercollegiate competition, ending his college boxing career. Turned pro in 1938. Won the NYSAC title in 1941. Retired in 1942 with a record of 34-6-1 and 13 KOs. Died Sept. 5, 1998.

---

Source: International Boxing Hall of Fame

ArturoGatti
12-12-2008, 01:13 AM

Barry McGuigan.
:cheer:

Tam Tam
12-12-2008, 01:33 AM
:cheer:

Fuck off.

Erratic
12-12-2008, 01:42 AM
I would like to see Lloyd Marshall get into the Hall of Fame. His achievements were more impressive than a number of guys in Canastota.

The Genius
12-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Canizales is in? I guess Virgil Hill will make it too now. Yay.

This enhances Roy's legacy.

Nobleart
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I gotta admit, I don't know a lot about Brian Mitchell and was surprised to see him elected. Jake made a good case for him though.

As in all the major sports, running a Hall of Fame is a business and guys are going to get in every year whether you like it or not. Otherwise there's no reason to hold big induction weekends. Sometimes guys will sneak in many don't think are worthy.

It's probably important not to just think of it as "The Best of The Best"...............but as a way to honor a lot of very good to great fighters and participants who might otherwise have been forgotten.

Just because Barry McGuigan and Sugar Ray Robinson are enshrined in the same building doesn't mean it's mandatory to compare their careers. Some fighters will just always be thought of more highly then others..............whether HOF'ers or not.

I've pretty much given up bitching about who's in and who's not. Just be glad a place like this even exists for boxers. The HOF used to exist as a special issue of Ring Magazine and a small room in their offices which was mostly closed to the public.

I'll be up there this coming year as usual. It's a great trip for any boxing fan whether you agree with the inductees or not.