PDA

View Full Version : Batista claims signing with Strikeforce

steve_dave
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.cagetoday.com/batista-claims-signing-with-strikeforce-wants-nothing-to-do-with-fedor/

Thoughts?

BOSS
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
41 professional wrestler aka actor going mma ? Who cares. Lesnar was young was a powerhouse and had legit wrestling credentials. This guy has nothing. I'm not gonna badmouth him I applaud him for showing balls and trying his hand at this but it's not really worthy of a thread.

TFK
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
I doubt it'll happen. Batista may try his hand at MMA, but I just can't see any legit organization letting him fight for them, at least until he gets some experience and wins under his belt.

But much like Pudz, Canseco, soon to be Toney and the rest of the bandwagon jumpers who are trying to be a latch on to MMA's rising star, he'll quickly find he is overmatched and underskilled.

TFK

TFK
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
So much for that....

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19630/spokesperson-no-strikeforce-deal-for-wwes-batista-right-now.mma

Despite a rash of recent reports, former World Wrestling Entertainment performer "Batista" (David Bautista Jr.) has not signed with Strikeforce.

The 41-year-old aspiring MMA fighter "definitely has not signed" with the organization, Strikeforce spokesperson Mike Afromowitz today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.fightbeat.com/) (www.mmajunkie.com).

Numerous reports of the supposed signing popped up this morning after TMZ.com issued a story quoting Bautista as having a deal.

Afromowitz declined to comment on anything beyond the denial of a signed deal. But additional sources told MMAjunkie.com officials have had informal talks with Bautista and may eventually offer a contract.

They stressed, though, that no such deal is imminent.

Bautista began on the pro-wrestling circuit in 2000 and joined the WWE in 2002. Although once one of the organization's most marketable stars, he cut ties with the WWE in May.

He could join UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and Strikeforce heavyweight Bobby Lashley as WWE vets who eventually made the move to MMA.

Although slightly smaller than his "billed" wrestling height of 6-foot-6 and weight of 290 pounds, Bautista would compete in MMA's heavyweight division. If the wrestler does sign with the California-based promotion, a bout with NFL veteran Herschel Walker, who made his MMA debut with Stikeforce early this year, could be a possibility given its marketability and both fighters' limited cage experience.

TFK

Joe King
06-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I doubt it'll happen. Batista may try his hand at MMA, but I just can't see any legit organization letting him fight for them, at least until he gets some experience and wins under his belt.

But much like Pudz, Canseco, soon to be Toney and the rest of the bandwagon jumpers who are trying to be a latch on to MMA's rising star, he'll quickly find he is overmatched and underskilled.

TFK

:boohoo:I didn't realize Toney fought yet. That Ray Mercer was sure overmatched against 2x UFC champ Tim Sylvia.

steve_dave
06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
:boohoo:I didn't realize Toney fought yet. That Ray Mercer was sure overmatched against 2x UFC champ Tim Sylvia.

He said soon to be Toney.

And Ray Mercer lost to KIMBO. :lol:

jarhead
06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I could totally see SF making a match between Batista and Walker. It would really suck to watch, but would be easy to market and sell for SF. Give the winner to Bobby Lashley.

TFK
06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I could totally see SF making a match between Batista and Walker. It would really suck to watch, but would be easy to market and sell for SF. Give the winner to Bobby Lashley.

It might sell, but it would kill Strike Force of any legitimacy. It would be the equivalent of Screech fighting Horseshack, or whatever those Celebrity Boxing matches were.

If Strike Force wants to be taken seriously, they should avoid the freak shows.

TFK

Godfather
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Damn word for word what i was gonna say. I was also going to add my famous video of joe not knowing what he is talking about

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
It might sell, but it would kill Strike Force of any legitimacy. It would be the equivalent of Screech fighting Horseshack, or whatever those Celebrity Boxing matches were.

TFK
U Mean like Placing Internet "Fighters" on TUF???...

REED:mj:

steve_dave
06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Damn word for word what i was gonna say. I was also going to add my famous video of joe not knowing what he is talking about

I almost threw out my classic... what's the matter with you, Joe?

jarhead
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM

TFK

I agree, I think SF is trying to become too big too fast right now. They are going away from what made them relative in the first place.

Godfather
06-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Hey man. He wasnt just an internet fighter when he was on TUF. He had just as much experience as other TUF contenstants that have even become champions.

TFK
06-21-2010, 02:33 PM

Somewhat, but the UFC is clearly in a better position to do something like bring in Kimbo or Toney, as they are already looked at as legit. Strike Force is still fighting for legitimacy, and having a Herschel Walker vs Batista fight will not help that fight.

Although I wouldn't be shocked in they brought in Kimbo down the line...that is if Kimbo still thinks he can be an MMA fighter.

TFK

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey man. He wasnt just an internet fighter when he was on TUF. He had just as much experience as other TUF contenstants that have even become champions.
The FACT is, Kimbo Slice was a FREAKSHOW "Fighter", Godfather...The UFC TRIES to Hold Itself to a Higher Standard (& Sure, the Level of Talent DWARFS Any Other MMA Organizations), but let's NOT Pretend that they're Somehow "Tooooo PROUD" to Milk a FREAKSHOW Act Themselves....

They ALREADY have...

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Somewhat, but the UFC is clearly in a better position to do something like bring in Kimbo or Toney, as they are already looked at as legit. Strike Force is still fighting for legitimacy, and having a Herschel Walker vs Batista fight will not help that fight.

Although I wouldn't be shocked in they brought in Kimbo down the line...that is if Kimbo still thinks he can be an MMA fighter.

TFK
As Looooooooong as Bastista vs. Walker/Canseco, etc. Isn't HEADLINING a Strike Force Show, REED Doesn't See the Big Deal...EVERY Combative Sport has it's Fair Share of "Freakshow" Participants....

Godfather
06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
The FACT is, Kimbo Slice was a FREAKSHOW "Fighter", Godfather...The UFC TRIES to Hold Itself to a Higher Standard (& Sure, the Level of Talent DWARFS Any Other MMA Organizations), but let's NOT Pretend that they're Somehow "Tooooo PROUD" to Milk a FREAKSHOW Act Themselves....

They ALREADY have...

REED:mj:All im saying is that Kimbo headlined 4 MMA Shows, 3 of them on CBS. Which is more than what most people on the TUF did. Kimbo was sliglhty established in the business before being picked up by UFC.

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
All im saying is that Kimbo headlined 4 MMA Shows, 3 of them on CBS. Which is more than what most people on the TUF did.An Established FREAKSHOW...

REED:hammert:

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Did Toney fight yet? No, so anything is speculation.

Did Mercer KTFO Sylvia?? YES.

So shut your shithole.

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Like I said to steve, shut your shithole. Mercer KTFO Sylvia in 10 seconds, that's undisputable.

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Did Toney fight yet? No, so anything is speculation.

Did Mercer KTFO Sylvia?? YES.

So shut your shithole.

Did Mercer fight Kimbo?

TFK

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Did Mercer fight Kimbo?

TFK

Yeah, and he lost, so what? Did he beat Sylvia? Yes.

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, and he lost, so what? Did he beat Sylvia? Yes.

So what?

TFK

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:07 PM
So what?

TFK

So boxers are as legitimate as any other "combatant".

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Like I said to steve, shut your shithole. Mercer KTFO Sylvia in 10 seconds, that's undisputable.
Wait a Minute...

Mercer has a 10 Second Win Over a Former UFC Heayweight Champion???...

REED:dunno:

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:14 PM
So boxers are as legitimate as any other "combatant".

Which isn't very.

TFK

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Wait a Minute...

Mercer has a 10 Second Win Over a Former UFC Heayweight Champion???...

REED:dunno:

If you have 10 seconds of free time, watch this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1M_PIFW4wI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1M_PIFW4wI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Which isn't very.

TFK

So you are finally admitting that MMA isn't legit?:mj:

Bob N Weave
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Man you are really digging yourself into a hole. You really have shown your stupidity today.

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Man you are really digging yourself into a hole. You really have shown your stupidity today.

By posting a fight that actually happened and isn't the speculation of some UFC fanboys on a fuckin messageboard?:lol:

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:22 PM

No, I'm admitting that non MMA fighters who compete in MMA are not legit. A fluke KO of a disinterested, overconfident, past his prime, out of shape Tim Sylvia does nothing to change that.

TFK

Godfather
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Tim got caught with one punch. Shit wasnt even a fight. Mercer got Chocked out by Kimbo.

CHOCKED OUT.

My Goodness Joe. Sometimes you are worse than Hanzy

steve_dave

Joe is just awful at making a point. I like to rip on cage fighting as much as the next guy, but damn.

Joe, you're a meatball.

Joe King
No, I'm admitting that non MMA fighters who compete in MMA are not legit. A fluke KO of a disinterested, overconfident, past his prime, out of shape Tim Sylvia does nothing to change that.

TFK

No, you're just using every excuse and adjective possible to discredit a win and doing it subjectively to defend your point of view.

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Joe is just awful at making a point. I like to rip on cage fighting as much as the next guy, but damn.

Joe, you're a meatball.

No you are just mad that you didn't bring it up yourself, that's all. Your rips on MMA are even worse.

Godfather
06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
No, you're just using every excuse and adjective possible to discredit a win and doing it subjectively to defend your point of view.
The win meant nothing. One punch was thrown in the fight. Shut up Joe

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Tim got caught with one punch. Shit wasnt even a fight. Mercer got Chocked out by Kimbo.

CHOCKED OUT.

My Goodness Joe. Sometimes you are worse than Hanzy

The bell rang, Tim threw a kick and got blasted out. It sure looked like a fight to the fans who were yelling and screaming afterward. It also looked like a fight according to sherdog's MMA record.

Choking out someone is more legit than a KO?:bangh: I would argue that they are the same but to each his own.

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:29 PM
The win meant nothing. One punch was thrown in the fight. Shut up Joe

So Kimbo's win over Mercer doesn't mean anything either right?:bears:

REEDsART
If you have 10 seconds of free time, watch this:

:lol:

steve_dave
No you are just mad that you didn't bring it up yourself, that's all. Your rips on MMA are even worse.

No, I don't use Mercer/Sylvia because the fight was a joke and I'm not an idiot.

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Hey, it is what it is. Sylvia was 1-3 in his last 4 before Mercer, and was coming off a horrific beatdown from Fedor. He was overconfident and out of shape, weighing in at over 300 lbs and looking every ounce of it.

If you want to think that Mercer KOing him makes some kind of point, in spite of being whooped by Kimbo...and this was before Kimbo had any real MMA training, then feel free. But the rest of us know better.

TFK

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
No, I don't use Mercer/Sylvia because the fight was a joke and I'm not an idiot.

No, you're definitely an idiot. Don't fool yourself.

Godfather
06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Sometimes i wonder if Joe is Trolling or if he really is that stupid.

Godfather
06-21-2010, 03:33 PM
No, you're definitely an idiot. Don't fool yourself.
Nice punctuation. you really worked hard on that sentence didnt you?

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey, it is what it is. Sylvia was 1-3 in his last 4 before Mercer, and was coming off a horrific beatdown from Fedor. He was overconfident and out of shape, weighing in at over 300 lbs and looking every ounce of it.

If you want to think that Mercer KOing him makes some kind of point, in spite of being whooped by Kimbo...and this was before Kimbo had any real MMA training, then feel free. But the rest of us know better.

TFK

You act like Mercer had full fledged MMA training at that point either.:boohoo:

I use excuses too, so I'm an expert at seeing who is justifying bullshit and who isn't. You are trying to justify your point of view just like everyone else.

THAT is my point.

steve_dave
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Don't you have some radio commercials to voice, Joe?

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM

TFK
If that Same "Disinterested, Overconfident, Past his Prime, Out of Shape" Tim Sylvia KO'ed Mercer in 10 Seconds in a BOXING MATCH, U'd CERTAINLY Remind "Boxing Guys" about it...

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Let's cut out the insults and get back to the topic of the thread.

And that is, Batista isn't signing with Strike Force. So there really isn't much else that needs to be said.

TFK

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
If that Same "Disinterested, Overconfident, Past his Prime, Out of Shape" Tim Sylvia KO'ed Mercer in 10 Seconds in a BOXING MATCH, U'd CERTAINLY Remind "Boxing Guys" about it...

Probably not, as I wouldn't have thought much of it. Just like I won't think much of it when Couture beats Toney.

TFK

Joe King
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Don't you have some radio commercials to voice, Joe?

I'm on vacation this week:cheer:

Godfather
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

REED:mj:Ray mercer is 157 years old Reed.

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Probably not, as I wouldn't have thought much of it. Just like I won't think much of it when Couture beats Toney.

TFKWhat will B your Spin if Toney (SOMEHOW) Manages to Beat Couture???....

REEDsART
06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Ray mercer is 157 years old Reed.
So was Joe Louis, yet Rocky Marciana Still Whipped his Ass....

TFK
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
What will B your Spin if Toney (SOMEHOW) Manages to Beat Couture???....

I really don't see it happening, but if it does, I better come up with a damn good one.

TFK

Godfather
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
So was Joe Louis, yet Rocky Marciana Still Whipped his Ass....

im going to watch that movie now.

steve_dave
06-21-2010, 05:01 PM
I really don't see it happening, but if it does, I better come up with a damn good one.

TFK

:lol: Yep.

In the interest of full disclosure, if Toney even has a sliver of success in the UFC I'll never let you hear the end of it.

Godfather
06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, if Toney even has a sliver of success in the UFC I'll never let you hear the end of it.
Does that include merchandise sales?

*Z*
06-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Steve_Dave :bears:

*Z*
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Steve_Dave :warning:

jarhead
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
If you give Steve_Dave anything, he's consistent:bears:

ElTerriblee
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM

TFK

Yes because they have such high standards when it comes to athletes with name recognition. :lol:

Mr Roboto
06-22-2010, 01:05 AM

They ALREADY have...

Agreed, and also...I think Brock was the same thing. A novelty who was supposed to be made example of. I don't think it was in the cards that with 6 months of training or whatever that he would be the champion of the UFC heavyweight division.

Azazel
06-22-2010, 03:06 AM

TFK

Kimbo fighting a former NFL player with no pro fight was big freak show too yet nobodies quesstionning the UFC legitimacy

TFK
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Kimbo fighting a former NFL player with no pro fight was big freak show too yet nobodies quesstionning the UFC legitimacy

Are you kidding me? People gave the UFC all kinds of shit for signing Kimbo.

TFK

Azazel
06-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Are you kidding me? People gave the UFC all kinds of shit for signing Kimbo.

TFK

Sure, but are they seen as less legit in the mainstream view ??? No

Trplsec
06-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Not true. Kimbo was Mitrione's second pro fight. But remember, neither guy walked in off the street. They went through the TUF program. If not for that, you don't see either guy fighting in the UFC.

Joe King
06-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Not true. Kimbo was Mitrione's second pro fight. But remember, neither guy walked in off the street. They went through the TUF program. If not for that, you don't see either guy fighting in the UFC.

Some MMA training on a TV show is all it takes right:shit:

Trplsec
06-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Some MMA training on a TV show is all it takes right:shit:

It's better than signing guys right off the street.

TFK
06-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Dana White has said himself that TUF is a shortcut to the UFC. That's why we've seen so many crappy fighters come through.

I really wish they'd up the qualifications needed to join the house.

TFK

Trplsec
06-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Dana White has said himself that TUF is a shortcut to the UFC. That's why we've seen so many crappy fighters come through.

I really wish they'd up the qualifications needed to join the house.

TFK

They need to do an American Idol type city-by-city auditioning process. It may limit you to one season per year, but the talent would be much improved.

Personally I think the Roy Nelson example really shows how limited the TUF talent pool has been. You didn't find any new talent that season. A journeyman like Nelson, who is really a gate keeper type talent, wins the show.

Joe King
06-23-2010, 11:03 AM
They need to do an American Idol type city-by-city auditioning process. It may limit you to one season per year, but the talent would be much improved.

Personally I think the Roy Nelson example really shows how limited the TUF talent pool has been. You didn't find any new talent that season. A journeyman like Nelson, who is really a gate keeper type talent, wins the show.

I knew Nelson would win as soon as he was announced. He's a veteran of over 50 fights. He shouldn't have had to go through the show against guys who were 3-0, 2-1, etc. It was a waste of time.

They need to bring in straight up novices or all experienced fighters. It's when they try that middle ground that they are screwed.

Trplsec
06-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I knew Nelson would win as soon as he was announced. He's a veteran of over 50 fights. He shouldn't have had to go through the show against guys who were 3-0, 2-1, etc. It was a waste of time.

They need to bring in straight up novices or all experienced fighters. It's when they try that middle ground that they are screwed.

I agree 100%. But if someone on the show would have beaten Nelson, they would really have been deserving of a UFC slot.