PDA

View Full Version : Biggest effort and NON effort while LOSING their FIRST title fight.

BOSS
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Complicated enough? Watch people willl mess it up but anyway here's the deal. Little Jimmy (just an example don't boxrec little jimmy)wants to be a boxer so he trains his whole life moves up the rankings sheds sweat blood and tears and finally his first title shot comes. Something he's been dreaming about for 20 years. He loses the fight but did he give his all or his none ? List both cases.

Ugotabe Kidding
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
The first two to pop into my mind

Effort: Zeljko Mavrovic
None effort: Audley Harrison

whiskey
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
David Haye for the first scenario.

Jesus of montreal
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
hard to beat tua for non-effort

whiskey
08-11-2011, 05:04 PM

David Tua is fat.

Pascals Wager
08-11-2011, 05:04 PM

I'd like to also point out that he's fat.

whiskey
08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I'd like to also point out that he's fat.

:clapagain:

Dog Jones
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Tex Cobb goes 30 rounds with Holmes he wins

Would Hakkar qualify for the non effort

Ugotabe Kidding
08-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Would Hakkar qualify for the non effort

Not IMO. People only remember the ridiculous 1st round of that fight but in fact in 3rd round or so Hakkar settled down and actually tried. He took his lumps and actually threw some combinations. Of course, Hopkins could have taken him out whenever he wanted to and the fight was a farce, but Hakkar ended up doing the little he could

Rick Frazier vs Roy was far worse

Jake
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
I'll nominate Diosbelys Hurtado for greatest effort. He was a 140 lb fighter still on the eight-round level when he got the call to fight Pernell Whitaker for the welterweight title.

Moved up in weight and class, and came within 1 1/2 rounds of unseating arguably the P4P best fighter in the world at the time (or at least right behind Roy on the list).

Ugo might have checkmate on Audley Harrison for non-effort. I honestly can't think of a better example.

Pascals Wager
08-11-2011, 06:00 PM
:clapagain:

Snap! (Both @ 3.04).

salaco
08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Effort: Nelson vs. Sanchez
Non-effort: Kevin Johnson vs. Vitali

loadedgloves
08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Effort: Nelson vs. Sanchez
Non-effort: Kevin Johnson vs. Vitali

was just about to post this

cdogg187
08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
In terms of a guy who waited essentially his whole career for a title shot, I'd nominate the outstanding Mexican bantamweight Jesus Pimentel. Guy watched numerous less-deserving guys get title shots before him until when he was on the fade, the great Ruben Olivares gave him a long-overdue shot...

In there with a legend at his peak, Pimentel slugged with passion but withered down the stretch and took a beating until his corner stopped it... it was his final career fight and lone title shot

Azazel
08-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Not IMO. People only remember the ridiculous 1st round of that fight but in fact in 3rd round or so Hakkar settled down and actually tried. He took his lumps and actually threw some combinations. Of course, Hopkins could have taken him out whenever he wanted to and the fight was a farce, but Hakkar ended up doing the little he could

Rick Frazier vs Roy was far worse

exactly, Hakkar first round was awfull, but overall, he gave a pretty gutsy performance considering how overmatched he was.

Destruction and Mayhem
08-12-2011, 10:58 AM

He gets a bad rap for the Lewis fight, but truthfully Lewis is very tall and has a ridiculous reach. Tua is 5'9 with T-Rex arms. Stylistically it was impossible for Tua to be able to do anything as long as Lewis fought tall.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-13-2011, 03:16 AM
He gets a bad rap for the Lewis fight, but truthfully Lewis is very tall and has a ridiculous reach. Tua is 5'9 with T-Rex arms. Stylistically it was impossible for Tua to be able to do anything as long as Lewis fought tall.

Perhaps, but what honest effort did Tua make to prevent that?

Tua has that despicable quality which so evenly defines Pacific Islanders. NO DETERMINATION.

Neil
08-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Tua has that despicable quality which so evenly defines Pacific Islanders. NO DETERMINATION.

yes that pacquiao sure lacks determination. racist!

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Hardly would include Pacquiao in the spirit of the term, "Pacific Islander," call it a colloquial distinction. You can also call it almost infallibly correct, in my vast experience.

jaws1216
08-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I understand this doesn't apply, but given how poorly the effort was, I'd throw in a nomination for Derrick Gainer against JMM that nullifies his previous title experience.

D MAN
08-14-2011, 02:15 AM

I've never thought of Pacific Islanders as lacking determination in sports, in fact quite the opposite in many cases, seems like a poor generalization to me.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
I didn't limit the generalisation to sports (in fact, sports would be the least realistic area to focus on for generalising, because you're talking about exceptional individuals, not indicative of a larger populace). Also, I wouldn't consider Phillipinos in that bracket, speaking colloquially.

I'm talking about Tongans, Fijians, Samoans, New Zealander Maoris...& my considerable experience tells me it couldn't be a more accurate generalisation.

Erratic
08-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Good efforts:

Richard Hall (although he did win an "Interim" title earlier) against Roy Jones
Miguel Espino against Kelly Pavlik

Overmatched opponents who were willing to take risks and received beatings. Espino fared fairly well all things considered.

Destruction and Mayhem
08-15-2011, 11:48 AM

This post sounds a little prejudice, Ramonza. You're Portuguese, don't forget that, don't get caught up in the racist Austrailian metality towards non-whites.

Destruction and Mayhem
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
yes that pacquiao sure lacks determination. racist!

Pacquiao isn't considered a Pacific Islander

mikE
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM

I haven't rewatched it, but at the time I never agreed with this sentiment. It was David Tua. Everyone outboxed him as he threw hard, sporadic shots and he waited for one to land before he expended any energy. I thought he was throwing those hard shot throughout the fight and he just never got through to Lennox to go to phase 2.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
This post sounds a little prejudice, Ramonza. You're Portuguese, don't forget that, don't get caught up in the racist Austrailian metality towards non-whites.

I wouldnt rush to judgement for judgements' sake on this one. I wouldnt be saying what Im saying if this were my experience with the majority of Islanders. After all, a lot of Aussies in Sydney take a dim view of the sizeable Lebanese community we have - pack-mentality cowards, thugs, violent, rapists etc - & sure, there is a big element of that which really hurts their image - but I cant prejudice them because I understand it for what it is - some letting others down.

However, Sydney has a massive Fijian/Tongan/Maori/Samoan population - & in all my years, I cannot recall seeing one - not one! - who wasnt clinically obese and adoptive of a lazy attitude toward any kind of work. I'll leave aside the two other popular stereotypes Sydney has toward them, but this one has proven infallible beyond exception. David Tua ir allegedly an elite athlete, or was, but he was rarely, rarely able to keep his weight down, because its his culture, as an islander (he is either Samoan or Tongan from memory) to over-eat massively & just avoid the hard yards. In the protective bubble of having rare motivation, as an athlete does, he received some protection from that. However it is said a man cannot hide from who he is inside the ring - & like Golota, Tua was exposed by Lewis. I think if you had been here the many years I have, & been confronted with the amazing consistency I have, I dare say youd have the same ideas.

Destruction and Mayhem
08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I wouldnt rush to judgement for judgements' sake on this one. I wouldnt be saying what Im saying if this were my experience with the majority of Islanders. After all, a lot of Aussies in Sydney take a dim view of the sizeable Lebanese community we have - pack-mentality cowards, thugs, violent, rapists etc - & sure, there is a big element of that which really hurts their image - but I cant prejudice them because I understand it for what it is - some letting others down.

However, Sydney has a massive Fijian/Tongan/Maori/Samoan population - & in all my years, I cannot recall seeing one - not one! - who wasnt clinically obese and adoptive of a lazy attitude toward any kind of work. I'll leave aside the two other popular stereotypes Sydney has toward them, but this one has proven infallible beyond exception. David Tua ir allegedly an elite athlete, or was, but he was rarely, rarely able to keep his weight down, because its his culture, as an islander (he is either Samoan or Tongan from memory) to over-eat massively & just avoid the hard yards. In the protective bubble of having rare motivation, as an athlete does, he received some protection from that. However it is said a man cannot hide from who he is inside the ring - & like Golota, Tua was exposed by Lewis. I think if you had been here the many years I have, & been confronted with the amazing consistency I have, I dare say youd have the same ideas.

Fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I do know that Australia has traditionally been the most racist nation on Earth...having a "WHITE AUSTRALIA policy" for almost 100 years. ANd the way the Australian Aborigne has been treated....Ai yi yi! I think they've only be counted as humans in the last 20 years or so, only recently being able to vote.

So I would hate for you to have been caught up in that madness.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Honestly, Im too young to be caught up in the Aboriginal affairs - my experience has been only of them receiving the same rights as whites (Im 27) with a few exceptions - those being benefits reserved exclusively for Aboriginals & the related Torres Strait Islanders - such as leg-ups in education, housing, mortgages etc. I know of these because my one of my sisters' kids are half-Aboriginal, & therefore eligible to those benefits whites & other nationalities do not receive - so in my relatively short life, it hasnt been so bad, at least in terms of the Government. Obviously on the street, there is still a tonne of resentment today between whites toward Abos, & vice-versa.

Slice N Dice
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
An aborigine lady threw a full McDonalds coke cup at my head once in Perth because I wouldn't give her any change (didn't have any). She missed.

Destruction and Mayhem
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Honestly, Im too young to be caught up in the Aboriginal affairs - my experience has been only of them receiving the same rights as whites (Im 27) with a few exceptions - those being benefits reserved exclusively for Aboriginals & the related Torres Strait Islanders - such as leg-ups in education, housing, mortgages etc. I know of these because my one of my sisters' kids are half-Aboriginal, & therefore eligible to those benefits whites & other nationalities do not receive - so in my relatively short life, it hasnt been so bad, at least in terms of the Government. Obviously on the street, there is still a tonne of resentment today between whites toward Abos, & vice-versa.

"Abos" have been treated like shit for centuries. Treated worse than any other race on the planet. Glad they're getting a few concessions now. They deserve it. They are probably still relegated to the shitholes to live in though and have very little chance of scoring a good job in the city. They have the highest suicide rate on the planet from what I once read.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I do know that Australia has traditionally been the most racist nation on Earth...having a "WHITE AUSTRALIA policy" for almost 100 years. ANd the way the Australian Aborigne has been treated....Ai yi yi! I think they've only be counted as humans in the last 20 years or so, only recently being able to vote.

So I would hate for you to have been caught up in that madness.

Define, 'recently?'

I wasnt sure off-hand, but I was quite certain Aboriginals had voting rights further back then the last 20 yrs. Looked it up and national voting was approved in 1967, with State voting occurring earlier.

Australia has a bad history with racism at the Governmental level, but I surely could not see it as the most racist nation on Earth. There have easily been worse and similar.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
"Abos" have been treated like shit for centuries. Treated worse than any other race on the planet. Glad they're getting a few concessions now. They deserve it. They are probably still relegated to the shitholes to live in though and have very little chance of scoring a good job in the city. They have the highest suicide rate on the planet from what I once read.

In the Northern Territory, it is very grim. There are a lot of problems with crime, incest, & alcohol is a persistent theme. Its true that you do see a lot of Aboriginal homeless in Sydneys CBD, but Sydney may as well be a different planet in terms of treatment & opportunities to the dastardly Nth. Territory.

Irish 2002/2003
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Most of the good ones have been already picked so.......

Effort: Byrd vs Vitali, Brewster vs Wlad

Non-Effort: Junior Witter vs Zab Judah

KaukipRrr
08-18-2011, 06:47 PM

There's a theory out there, that the second wave of Lebanese immigrants into Australia, occurred through similar circumstances that are described in the movie 'Scarface' ,..the authority incharge in Lebanon sent the then sympathetic prime minister Malcom Frazier the dregs of thier society,.. and if you look at the EARLIER wave of Lebanese immigrants they've become extremely successful citizens,.. Bob Katter sr, Bob Katter jr, Steve Bracks, John Symonds, Marie Bashir for example...

I'm not sure about the Islander situation down there lol,.. but it seems you really have been affected you poor bastard. :laugh11:

KaukipRrr
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM

:scratcher: Who's "Australian" in your mind? ,.. People here are descended from all sorts of European mixes.

cdogg187
08-18-2011, 09:37 PM
and portuguese people are white, caucasian if you will
wtf, sly?

KaukipRrr
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
wtf, sly?

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/06/05/2409913/ipad-art-wide-bob_katter-420x0.jpg

Here's a 'white racist australian larrikan' ,...

.......of Lebanese descent, oops.

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-19-2011, 02:51 AM
I cant say I experience much racism at all - beyond the odd generic call, no. I look Portuguese but theres no accent. Im usually mistaken for Greek, Italian or sometimes Lebanese, but its not often Im subject to racism.

I definitely do not consider myself any kind of minority, Sly. I may not be Anglo, but I am a white Australian.

loadedgloves
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Ramonza is a muzza!

Destruction and Mayhem
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
wtf, sly?

I know that. But the white Australians are typically descended from the British who have far less tolerance than the Pork Chops.

meetthefeebles
08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I know that. But the white Australians are typically descended from the British who have far less tolerance than the Pork Chops.

You really get bullied a lot as a kid, huh Sly?

MTF:Rubio:

Irish 2002/2003
08-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Everytime Sly starts moaning about Race, I think of Steve Buscemi' Mr Pink in Reservoir Dogs where he does that impression of the "Worlds Smallest Violin"

But Sly doesn't deserve to have Steve Buscemi/Reservoir Dogs embedded in his honour.

Instead, he gets this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAlTOfl9F2w?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAlTOfl9F2w?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Ramonza Soliloquies
08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Ramonza is a muzza!

A...?

KaukipRrr
08-19-2011, 11:01 PM
A...?

So what's happening with the islanders Ramonza, I hear alot about the Lebs, but don't hear much about Islander gangs or the like,.. What has been your prolonged experience with them?