PDA

View Full Version : Juanma Lopez' career over!

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I just watched his fight with Oliver and I must say he looks awful. He is VERY SLOW and is still wide open for counters. He is probably the most sloppy fighter I have seen in recent times at his level. He cant beat any of the top fighters of his division with that rookie corner. He needs a real trainer but at this stage there is only so much that can be done.

Dog Jones
10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Can't say his career is over when he stopped the guy in two rounds

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Can't say his career is over when he stopped the guy in two rounds

He looks HORRIBLE in doing so. Juanma Lopez is very lucky he got power. Watch the fight and you will see how he cant beat any top fighters at this point.

Dog Jones
10-02-2011, 01:25 PM
He looks HORRIBLE in doing so. Juanma Lopez is very lucky he got power. Watch the fight and you will see how he cant beat any top fighters at this point.

Where's the video

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Where's the video

I downloaded it via torrents. I will search Youtube now and let me know what you think,

puerto rock
10-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah he didn't look too good. I think Salido will KO him again.

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Cant find round 1 yet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tiy5wQ4fbRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah he didn't look too good. I think Salido will KO him again.

Oh I agree. Salido will KHTFO in the rematch. Juanma needs to improve in many areas.

Dog Jones
10-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Actually I found it, you're right he's not looking too good, Oliver tagged him with clean shots and even momentarily stunned him

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Actually I found it, you're right he's not looking too good, Oliver tagged him with clean shots and even momentarily stunned him

Agreed! I'm not sure whats happening. He is regressing as a fighter. At this point he needs a new corner that can help him get better. He has TOO many defensive holes.

Irish 2002/2003
10-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow that ref was ugly.

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Wow that ref was ugly.

:lol:

Irish 2002/2003
10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
:lol:

I was watching it and wondering what Dad from the 70's Show was doing in there.

puerto rock
10-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Agreed! I'm not sure whats happening. He is regressing as a fighter. At this point he needs a new corner that can help him get better. He has TOO many defensive holes.

Looking back on it, he's actually been regressing for quite a while. I thought that because he was young he had some upside but he's just looked slower and his stamina has gotten worse.

The fact that he blows up to 150 plus pounds in between fights suggests to me he's not dedicated.

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Looking back on it, he's actually been regressing for quite a while. I thought that because he was young he had some upside but he's just looked slower and his stamina has gotten worse.

The fact that he blows up to 150 plus pounds in between fights suggests to me he's not dedicated.

Agreed. It's only a matter of time before he is brutally ko'd. He dosent have much of a career left at this point unless he makes serious changes in his corner and himself as a fighter.

puerto rock
10-02-2011, 02:08 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they try to steer him clear of Salido for at least a year or until Salido shows signs of age.

But if he wants to maintain any credibility in Puerto Rico, he'll have to fight him again.

ILLUMINATI
10-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I just watched his fight with Oliver and I must say he looks awful. He is VERY SLOW and is still wide open for counters. He is probably the most sloppy fighter I have seen in recent times at his level. He cant beat any of the top fighters of his division with that rookie corner. He needs a real trainer but at this stage there is only so much that can be done.

And you had a man crush for him a few years ago......:crafty:

I didn't see the fight last night...but IMO Juanma has always been a fighter that would have benefit by leaving PR(training camp), getting a better trainer....throwing more jabs to set up his other punches. He looks like a fucking imbecile throwing lead right hooks or slooowww straight lefts...

His nickname should be squared up...because thats how he ends up everytime he is throws a punch...esp. the straight left.

puerto rock
10-02-2011, 06:33 PM

I didn't see the fight last night...but IMO Juanma has always been a fighter that would have benefit by leaving PR(training camp), getting a better trainer....throwing more jabs to set up his other punches. He looks like a fucking imbecile throwing lead right hooks or slooowww straight lefts...

His nickname should be squared up...because thats how he ends up everytime he is throws a punch...esp. the straight left.

He won't leave PR. He's too much of a party guy.

To me, the talent is there. But he's not dedicated or disciplined enough. Likes to eat, likes to party, and always has a struggle to get the weight down.

Plus his corner is very inexperienced and instead of showing improvement in his last few fights, he's actually just regressed.

Sadly, I don't think he has much future. Waste of talent.

mexican wedding shirt
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't even think he has the talent to be honest. Decent pop, and um, that's about it.

I've said for years that he's one of the most overrated fighters of the contemporary generation, alongside Arabham, Dawson etc.

I think people realise now, but for a few years he's been talked about as an elite fighter and the truth is he's not even close. Salido beats him again and Gamboa batters him.

ILLUMINATI
10-02-2011, 08:04 PM
He trains to fight squared up..I thought it might do something that happens during the fight.....but noooooo...

He was better off when he was less aggressive and stood back and counter...
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qopAqBOcGgE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 08:10 PM

I agree I was very high on Juanma years ago. But as he stepped up in class I seen too many defensive holes and sloppiness. At this point its only a matter of time before he gets Ko'd brutally. I agree that it's best that he leaves PR for training camp and gets a new QUALITY trainer.

Irish 2002/2003
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
There's a good chance that Bernard Dunne could come out of retirement to ice that fool.

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't even think he has the talent to be honest. Decent pop, and um, that's about it.

I've said for years that he's one of the most overrated fighters of the contemporary generation, alongside Arabham, Dawson etc.

I think people realise now, but for a few years he's been talked about as an elite fighter and the truth is he's not even close. Salido beats him again and Gamboa batters him.

I agree both Salido and Gamboa knocks him the fuck out.

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
He won't leave PR. He's too much of a party guy.

To me, the talent is there. But he's not dedicated or disciplined enough. Likes to eat, likes to party, and always has a struggle to get the weight down.

Plus his corner is very inexperienced and instead of showing improvement in his last few fights, he's actually just regressed.

Sadly, I don't think he has much future. Waste of talent.

THIS!

cdogg187
10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
He was propped up as this sort of re-incarnation of Wilfredo Gomez but all I really saw out of him was some power, none of the great skill and versatility of "Bazooka"

puerto rock
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM
^^^^This generation is just so low on talent.

I don't know whats going on.

Hex-One
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
^^^^This generation is just so low on talent.

I don't know whats going on.

Good point. It could be that and a combination of poor trainers.

Double L
10-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Not to change the topic here, but in what sense is Dawson over-rated? If anything, he's under-rated at this point, and his victory over Hopkins will prove that.

He lost to spurt-fighting Pascal. And was coming on in a big way when the fight was stopped. Other than that, what reason is there to think he's not at least as good as people thought?

Double L
10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I like Lopez. I haven't seen his last couple of fights because they've been on over-priced PPV, priced to squeeze Puerto Rican fanatics. But what I have seen I like his aggression, his strength, his combination punching, and his punching power. Given his style, it's not surprising he gets hit as often as he does. And maybe it doesn't all add up to a sparkling record. But he's definitely a skilled and talented fighter. He has some impressive wins. And he's fun as hell to watch.

cdogg187
10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Good point. It could be that and a combination of poor trainers.
yup...

Hex-One
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I like Lopez. I haven't seen his last couple of fights because they've been on over-priced PPV, priced to squeeze Puerto Rican fanatics. But what I have seen I like his aggression, his strength, his combination punching, and his punching power. Given his style, it's not surprising he gets hit as often as he does. And maybe it doesn't all add up to a sparkling record. But he's definitely a skilled and talented fighter. He has some impressive wins. And he's fun as hell to watch.

I agree. I re watched the fight and Lopez does have the talent. I not sure how much more he can improve with a good trainer, there is only so much someone can do. He is however very fun to watch because he is vulnerable with good power.

ILLUMINATI
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Aggression is all good...but Juanma turns into a mindless slugger. He is skilled enough to jab and counter punch his way into decision victories or late KO. But he doesn't use the jab, is always off balance and squared up after throwing punches, and IS DUMB..DUMB. People bitch about Trinidad being a dumb fighter...but IMO he was doing the best with the skills given to him by the creator......JUANMA IMO is more skilled than what he is showing....

Hex-One
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Aggression is all good...but Juanma turns into a mindless slugger. He is skilled enough to jab and counter punch his way into decision victories or late KO. But he doesn't use the jab, is always off balance and squared up after throwing punches, and IS DUMB..DUMB. People bitch about Trinidad being a dumb fighter...but IMO he was doing the best with the skills given to him by the creator......JUANMA IMO is more skilled than what he is showing....

Very well said.

LATIN KING
10-03-2011, 11:19 PM
carreer over? jaja! some of you act like a fighter can't redeem himself.

I did not watch Juanma's fight from the weekend but if he avenges Salido he is back on track.

dude needs to watch his weight though.

ILLUMINATI
10-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Juanma still KO's Gamboa....:Chainsaw:

LATIN KING
10-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Juanma still KO's Gamboa....:Chainsaw:that fight is still a toss up to me. Both guys are inconsistant. They can look great and dominant in one fight and stink out the joint on the next one.

ILLUMINATI
10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
that fight is still a toss up to me. Both guys are inconsistant. They can look great and dominant in one fight and stink out the joint on the next one.

I doubt have much faith left on Juanma punching power...but I think he still catches Gamboa at the end of a right hook turn his lights out...

Jake
10-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Yeah was gonna say this is a fight where you can't just go by the line result. He just looked so lethargic and I'm convinced he can't even spell defense, much less practice it.

He blamed the Salido loss on distractions (getting divorced, not properly training, etc), but looked terrible here. He was just fortunate that Oliver has already grown accustomed to the opponent role - that and the fact that he has no power.

Please oh please, make Gamboa-JML in 2012. Or better yet, Donaire-JML.

Jake
10-03-2011, 11:54 PM
that fight is still a toss up to me. Both guys are inconsistant. They can look great and dominant in one fight and stink out the joint on the next one.
Gamboa looks inconsistent but still wins his fights with miles to spare. I don't see him going life and death with present day version of Rafael Marquez the way JuanMa did last year, at least through the first half of the fight.

I personally think (and have always thought) that Gamboa-JuanMa is a train wreck heavily in Gamboa's favor. Given that the matchup has taken this long to happen and still not any closer, fairily convinced that Arum/Top Rank see it the same way.

steve_dave
10-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Juanma doesn't have to be good, he just has to be fun.

Jake
10-03-2011, 11:56 PM
carreer over? jaja! some of you act like a fighter can't redeem himself.

I did not watch Juanma's fight from the weekend but if he avenges Salido he is back on track.

dude needs to watch his weight though.
Problem is, no guarantee at all that he avenges Salido loss. In fact, a lot of people saw the first fight coming (meaning, they called it in advance, not the Emanuel Steward "it happened exactly as I thought it would" prediction).