PDA

View Full Version : Peterson Prefers Rios REVENGE Over RE w/Khan...

REEDsART
12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-las-vegas/lamont-peterson-shoots-down-a-khan-rematch-for-now-fancies-revenge-vs-rios

Taking a Feather from the Klitschko Kap, Lamont Peterson Says he's More Interested in AVENGING his Brother, Anthony Peterson's, Loss to Brandon Rios than Granting Amir Khan a RE...

While Khan DEFINITELY Deserves a 2nd Crack @ Peterson, it's Good to See that Lamont ISN'T Trying to Rest on his Acquisition of a World Title w/SAFE Defenses....

REED:cheer:

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Surprising.

A Khan fight is more winnable and would undoubtedly pay more.

Isn't a rematch with Khan mandatory though?

Xplosive
12-22-2011, 07:03 AM
He wont get revenge. Rios will beat his ass too.

FUCK whining Khan though! I'm glad he doesnt get his belt back. Little whiney bitch.

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 07:21 AM
It's a pretty bad matchup for Peterdude, he doesn't have the power to keep Rios off, or the elusiveness to outslick him, or the workrate to keep up with him.

He'll get bashed.

Double L
12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
It's a pretty bad matchup for Peterdude, he doesn't have the power to keep Rios off, or the elusiveness to outslick him, or the workrate to keep up with him.

He'll get bashed.

I'm not so sure. Peterson will have a speed advantage he didn't against Khan. But more importantly, tr has apparently offered him a better deal.

I like the idea of the amateur being squeezed out. Let him go to 147.

Muzse
12-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Surprising.

A Khan fight is more winnable and would undoubtedly pay more.

Isn't a rematch with Khan mandatory though?

Thought I read the IBF refused to mandate an immediate rematch.

EDIT: Yep....that's what I read.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/170751-ibf-will-not-order-immediate-peterson-khan-rematch

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh shit, that's interesting, I assumed it was in the contract.

But yeah Double, I like the idea of Khan being skanked out of a rematch too.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 08:03 AM
So this is why Oscar looked like a fat-faced maudlin toss-pot- he knew there was no Re-clause and that his man was likely to get left out in the cold. Peterson has lucrative options.

Pugilistically, Khan deserves a rematch. It was a decent close fight.

Personally, Khan deserves fuck all. He took Peterson lightly, probably offered him very little money and then went whining after the fact.

PS the Klitschkos never turned down lucrative rematches after close fights to go and fight somebody their brother lost to. What did Wlad say? Fuck you Barrett, close fight but no rematch, I'm off to fight Byrd to make Vitali feel better? What did Vitali say? Fuck you Lewis, I prefer to fight Sanders for a vacant title? Who missed out on a payday vs Vitali just so he could fight Purritty?

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 08:08 AM
So this is why Oscar looked like a fat-faced maudlin toss-pot- he knew there was no Re-clause and that his man was likely to get left out in the cold. Peterson has lucrative options.

Pugilistically, Khan deserves a rematch. It was a decent close fight.

Personally, Khan deserves fuck all. He took Peterson lightly, probably offered him very little money and then went whining after the fact.

PS the Klitschkos never turned down lucrative rematches after close fights to go and fight somebody their brother lost to. What did Wlad say? Fuck you Barrett, close fight but no rematch, I'm off to fight Byrd to make Vitali feel better? What did Vitali say? Fuck you Lewis, I prefer to fight Sanders for a vacant title? Who missed out on a payday vs Vitali just so he could fight Purritty?

Had a few holiday drinks?

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 08:12 AM

Rarely drink, drink brings the country down. Have not even had a coffee, too many kids dying picking that shit. Did you read about the Sugar Belt kids? Check it out.

Hut*Hut
12-22-2011, 08:17 AM
FUCK whining Khan though! I'm glad he doesnt get his belt back. Little whiney bitch.

hear hear :mj:

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Good post Irish.

Despite hating Khan, if he had just kept his mouth shut after the fight and took his loss with dignity, objectively I would say he really deserves a rematch.

But being such a pathetic whiny bitch after the fight, talking about getting the decision overturned etc for a ref doing his job, I hope he doesn't get a rematch at all.

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Good post Irish.

Despite hating Khan, if he had just kept his mouth shut after the fight and took his loss with dignity, objectively I would say he really deserves a rematch.

But being such a pathetic whiny bitch after the fight, talking about getting the decision overturned etc for a ref doing his job, I hope he doesn't get a rematch at all.

It was a good post until the odd Klitschko rambling.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Good post Irish.

The thing of it is, I have a feeling that if Khan were left to his own devices, he would go back to England and have a few easy paydays there then relaunch himself as soon as a title became vacant etc.

Its his father, advisor and Oscar that he acts as a vessel for. They say "rematch", "appeal", "robbed" and Amir trots it out like it were the very truth itself.

His team are known scrooges. They offer shite money to begin with. And Oscar isn't St Francis on the old generosity front. Running around saying that the Peterson crew had offered them a rematch. Yeah. OK.:Thumbs: Everyone knows the dust settles first, then people make their decisions. Not at ringside in the heat of the moment.

Team Khan and Oscar seem to be some sort of a blend of ingénue and thief all at the same time. Thats why Oscar De La Ladron was stood there with that upset look on his face. He knew that when Petey Pete resurfaced, he was going to have options in Rios, Timmy La Testa and Khan. Its not like he had nowhere else to go except back to Khan which WOULD have been the case if they had done the extra contractual legwork. Sloppy thieves are something I can't stand.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 08:45 AM
It was a good post until the odd Klitschko rambling.

Reed "erroneously" introduced that. No Klitschko ever re-fought a Sanders/Purritty/Byrd if there was superior business to be done elsewhere. I know Reed was just by-the-by, its no bigge, I threw it in as an addendum. Peterson would be turning his back on a Khan re. to do the Rioss/Anthony thing. Vitali never wanted any part of Sanders, he wanted Lewis II. Just saying.

Muzse
12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
I think Golden Boy has already laid the groundwork to move Khan to 147 by making it appear they're trying to make the rematch.

First they said they've offered Peterson $1 million and the fight happens in England...then it was the Staples Center. Then they said HBO gave them a date in May and Amir will fight that day with or without Peterson.

I believe they're set on their date and will move Khan to 147 and pretend they did everything to make a rematch and make it appear Peterson didn't want a return match.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I think Golden Boy has already laid the groundwork to move Khan to 147 by making it appear they're trying to make the rematch.

First they said they've offered Peterson $1 million and the fight happens in England...then it was the Staples Center. Then they said HBO gave them a date in May and Amir will fight that day with or without Peterson.

I believe they're set on their date and will move Khan to 147 and pretend they did everything to make a rematch and make it appear Peterson didn't want a return match.

Par for the course, considering not just Oscar and Team Khan, but the time and the age itself.

"Scandalously driven out of 140 after a broken promise and controversial refereeing, the multi-faceted Khan faces dangerous contender Freddie Pendleton in tonights epic clash, book now, $59.99"...Okay.
:wack:

Nobleart
12-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Par for the course, considering not just Oscar and Team Khan, but the time and the age itself.

"Scandalously driven out of 140 after a broken promise and controversial refereeing, the multi-faceted Khan faces dangerous contender Freddie Pendleton in tonights epic clash, book now, $59.99"...Okay.

:laughing:

loadedgloves
12-22-2011, 10:19 AM

No, he's just crazy.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
No, he's just crazy.

You need therapy, Bwoy. Start here.

http://www.besharam.co.uk/

loadedgloves
12-22-2011, 11:33 AM
You need therapy, Bwoy. Start here.

http://www.besharam.co.uk/

Looks gay/cheesy as hell. Like a Maxim (which is terrible to begin with) for Paki Guidos living in the UK. This type of thing is your reading material of choice?

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Looks gay/cheesy as hell. Like a Maxim (which is terrible to begin with) for Paki Guidos living in the UK. This type of thing is your reading material of choice?

Choice is dead mate. Welcome to the UK/Ireland in 2011. PS I agree with you, it's a shite publication, and it seems that Paki fellows are being sold the same line of shite, just printed in the opposite direction. In fact, some of the content is disgraceful, it offers fuck all guidance and has no literary merit.

Khan, just to stay on topic, should come back to England now and fight some tough domestic opposition. They messed up in-and-out-of-the-ring with Peterson. They either offer him the big big money now, or they cut their losses and get back to England, fight some local lads, make a bit of noise, then go back to the USA.

loadedgloves
12-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Choice is dead mate. Welcome to the UK/Ireland in 2011. PS I agree with you, it's a shite publication, and it seems that Paki fellows are being sold the same line of shite, just printed in the opposite direction. In fact, some of the content is disgraceful, it offers fuck all guidance and has no literary merit.

Khan, just to stay on topic, should come back to England now and fight some tough domestic opposition. They messed up in-and-out-of-the-ring with Peterson. They either offer him the big big money now, or they cut their losses and get back to England, fight some local lads, make a bit of noise, then go back to the USA.

I think they should go all out to try to get the Peterson fight.. offer him 70% if they have to. It's a fight Khan is almost certain to win, especially since GBP will ensure they have a ref who lets him get away with murder whenever Peterson gets inside.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
I think they should go all out to try to get the Peterson fight.. offer him 70% if they have to. It's a fight Khan is almost certain to win, especially since GBP will ensure they have a ref who lets him get away with murder whenever Peterson gets inside.

Yes, I agree, but, with my Green-and-White Crescent hat on, I cannot for the life of me see Shah Khan and Asif Vali taking this one on the chin. Its their nature to demand the lions share. Will they see the bigger picture- accept Oscars wisdom that he can get them the right conditions in Vegas, and swing for the fences after they beat Peterson, or will their innate nature as cornershop skinflints prevent them for seeing the overall. Pardon my insensitivity- I am merely being genuine. My guess is that they are pre-disposed to a penny-wise, pound-foolish mentality and it will be up to Oscar to convince them that he can turn the trick in Vegas and then they can start making money later. Do they think that they know best? My guess is that they regard Oscar as a mere business partner they can, and should, over rule from time to time.

joony
12-22-2011, 12:13 PM
i think peterson whups rios.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 12:16 PM
i think peterson whups rios.

stay on topic. This is the Khan forum. :nono:

That that Peterson/Rios shit to TAAA :lol:

Seriously, Khan is, ironically, a focal yet distant figure in all of this. :scratcher:

He's nowhere, yet everywhere.

Neil
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
i agree with the puerto rican, peterson beats rios.

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Unless Peterdude suddenly has a new lease of life after dethroning Skate 'n' Flurry, I very much doubt he beats Rios.

Peterdude did surprisingly well as a makeshift pressure fighter against Khan, but looked pretty crap against Ortiz and Bradley when they took the fight to him.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Unless Peterdude suddenly has a new lease of life after dethroning Skate 'n' Flurry, I very much doubt he beats Rios.

Peterdude did surprisingly well as a makeshift pressure fighter against Khan, but looked pretty crap against Ortiz and Bradley when they took the fight to him.

We're still not sure about Rios. I hope Peterson doesn't do a Rahman on this. He's won a big fight, his next big fight is crucial, and he's got to win it, especially if it isn't against Khan.

cdogg187
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:Freddie Pendleton

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:Freddie Pendleton

When he was younger, Freddie would have beat up Khan. His ballsy stand against the much bigger James Page is pure grit personified. Much like Maskaev, he had no backing and was always used as fodder, but persevered to win. I like him vs Khan.

cdogg187
12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
When he was younger, Freddie would have beat up Khan. His ballsy stand against the much bigger James Page is pure grit personified. Much like Maskaev, he had no backing and was always used as fodder, but persevered to win. I like him vs Khan.

he would have knocked Khan out, IMO

I was just laughing at NOW

bigdawg
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Fuck that Khan deserves a rematch. As a matter of fact any time a champion loses his belt the way Khan did deserves a chance to get his shit back. Don't matter what Khan said afterwards. Fuck I woulda felt the exact same way. I'll Holla 5000

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Khans people should come to me. I'll put the word out that Freds prime is NOW!!!

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Fuck that Khan deserves a rematch. As a matter of fact any time a champion loses his belt the way Khan did deserves a chance to get his shit back. Don't matter what Khan said afterwards. Fuck I woulda felt the exact same way. I'll Holla 5000

Yeah, you can't really argue with this.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Yeah, you can't really argue with this.

This is the baaxhin bidness. You don't get what you deserve.

KaukipRrr
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
This is the baaxhin bidness. You don't get what you deserve.

:crafty: Had Khan not been a bit of a demographic enemy,.. you ought scored that for Khan,.. give peace, and workrate a chance.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 08:59 PM
:crafty: Had Khan not been a bit of a demographic enemy,.. you ought scored that for Khan,.. give peace, and workrate a chance.

Khan is my sworn enemy!! East Timor will be avenged!!!:bomb:

meetthefeebles
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Sorry, but this is BS. Khan whined like a horrible, horrible bitch but be under no illusions: he lost his title because he ran into a referee who wanted to make a name for himself so decided to deduct points for something no-one else deducts points for. He deserves an immediate rematch, reguadless of whether or not he is a cry-baby bitch. Peterson is a cunt if he doesn't do so IMO

MTF

Neil
12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
:crying:

Jake
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh shit, that's interesting, I assumed it was in the contract.

But yeah Double, I like the idea of Khan being skanked out of a rematch too.
Peterson was the mandatory challenger. In the US, it's illegal to order an immediate rematch or demand options on a mandatory title fight (Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform act). That's why Khan and Schaefer are going the cunty route.

I don't blame Peterson to make them sweat. Golden Boy claimed all along to represent Peterson, yet haven't shown an ounce of loyalty, even going as far as to treat him as "that other guy" in his own hometown.

Good for Peterson and for Barry Hunter, for knowing they have the upper hand and not backing down.

meetthefeebles
12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
How original

MTF

meetthefeebles
12-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Peterson was the mandatory challenger. In the US, it's illegal to order an immediate rematch or demand options on a mandatory title fight (Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform act). That's why Khan and Schaefer are going the cunty route.

I don't blame Peterson to make them sweat. Golden Boy claimed all along to represent Peterson, yet haven't shown an ounce of loyalty, even going as far as to treat him as "that other guy" in his own hometown.

Good for Peterson and for Barry Hunter, for knowing they have the upper hand and not backing down.

I totally agree. Oscar and his little cunty cronies have sold Peterson down the river. But from a boxing perspective, that fight was too close, and too controversial, for an immediate re not to take place IMO.

MTF

puerto rock
12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
The only thing Khan deserves is a new box of tampons for being such a bitch.

Irish 2002/2003
12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Feebles, if the ref wanted to make a name for himself, why didn't he take points off Peterson instead? Then he probably would have got a name and more work?

Jake
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
I totally agree. Oscar and his little cunty cronies have sold Peterson down the river. But from a boxing perspective, that fight was too close, and too controversial, for an immediate re not to take place IMO.

MTF

I don't disagree, a rematch is probably the best thing. Just find Khan's actions amusing. A day after the fight, they claimed rematch was on for March 24 or 31. Two days later, he and Golden Boy claim Staples Center is on hold for mid-May.

I try my hardest to go to bat for Schaefer. But between The Ring, and now his own guy running Showtime, it's blatantly obvious he wants full control of the industry, and not used to not getting his way.

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Hey Jake, thanks for the info. Gotta admit I had no idea about that.

Seems like a good part of the act, especially not being able to demand options. Surely leads to a decent number of relatively unknown challengers NOT getting shafted in their first title shot.

GBP are pretty slimy and awful, people really hate on Arum, but he seems to have always been a bit fairer and less cunty with fighters than GBP on the whole.

Double L
12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't disagree, a rematch is probably the best thing. Just find Khan's actions amusing. A day after the fight, they claimed rematch was on for March 24 or 31. Two days later, he and Golden Boy claim Staples Center is on hold for mid-May.

I try my hardest to go to bat for Schaefer. But between The Ring, and now his own guy running Showtime, it's blatantly obvious he wants full control of the industry, and not used to not getting his way.

Why would it even cross your mind to go to bat for him or any other promoter?

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Jake, what do you think is likely for the Cinco De Mayo weekend?

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 09:53 PM

Jake is a good, honest boxing journalist. I don't want to speak for the man but I think he's saying he wants to be fair.

mexican wedding shirt
12-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Money.

Jake
12-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Seems like a good part of the act, especially not being able to demand options. Surely leads to a decent number of relatively unknown challengers NOT getting shafted in their first title shot.

GBP are pretty slimy and awful, people really hate on Arum, but he seems to have always been a bit fairer and less cunty with fighters than GBP on the whole.
Yeah it only exists in the U.S. So that's the loophole for promoters taking fights beyond US borders, or commissions that don't fall within the ABC.

I hear what you're saying on the last part... but Arum lies like it's a disease he can't shake.

Jake
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I've always argued that he's a stand up guy (and still believe it for the most part). Lately, though, the dictator in him is beginning to come out.

Just sucks though that the problems in the game are systemic. Rather than reform and moving forward, everyone seems to search for the same loopholes and short cons.

Jake
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Money.

Hey now!

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Jake, I had a question you motherfucker!!

Jake
12-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Jake, what do you think is likely for the Cinco De Mayo weekend?
I honestly don't know. Manny most likely won't fight until June (either against Bradley or... gasp... a 4th fight w/ Marquez). If that's the case, it kills whatever plans Cotto had re: Puerto Rican Day Parade weekend, if in fact that was an option.

It depends on who gets the date. If it's Arum, probably either an HBO doubleheader or an independent PPV featuring Donaire and Arce (head on, or separate bouts) and Chavez Jr. against someone safe but TV friendly.

If Golden Boy gets the date, I'd have to imagine Canelo gets the lead role. Against whom would be the question.

Would be a great time for Arum and Schaefer to kiss and make up, if for just one night, and do Chavez-Alvarez on that weekend.

Jake
12-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Jake, I had a question you motherfucker!!

Ha sorry. Just answered it now

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Ha sorry. Just answered it now

:lol: Love you.

I ask, because I'm planning a vacation with my younger brother for that week and we were hoping to watch some boxing. I was going to buy tickets for whoever Floyd was fighting, but now I'm concerned I'll get zero good fighters rather than one.

steve_dave
12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
And thanks for the reply. Was hoping for something big... Pacquiao not fighting 'till June is weak.

REEDsART
12-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Reed "erroneously" introduced that. No Klitschko ever re-fought a Sanders/Purritty/Byrd if there was superior business to be done elsewhere. I know Reed was just by-the-by, its no bigge, I threw it in as an addendum. Peterson would be turning his back on a Khan re. to do the Rioss/Anthony thing. Vitali never wanted any part of Sanders, he wanted Lewis II. Just saying.
Correction, You Got MENSTRUAL & CREATED a "Slight" in your Mind...REED was Only Pointing Out that the Brothers Klit have a History of AVENGING the Losses of the Other...Lamont's Aiming to Do LIKEWISE in the Case of Anthony...

No MORE, No LESS...

REED:Lok:

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Correction, You Got MENSTRUAL & CREATED a "Slight" in your Mind...REED was Only Pointing Out that the Brothers Klit have a History of AVENGING the Losses of the Other...Lamont's Aiming to Do LIKEWISE in the Case of Anthony...

No MORE, No LESS...

REED:Lok:

:boohoo::boohoo:

I never said there was any slight. Where did I say or imply anyone was slighted??

I said your example was "erroneous"

REEDsART
12-23-2011, 03:18 AM
:boohoo::boohoo:

I never said there was any slight. Where did I say or imply anyone was slighted??

I said your example was "erroneous"
Sorry if REED Rubbed your KLIT the Wrong Way....

REED:limp:

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Sorry if REED Rubbed your KLIT the Wrong Way....

REED:limp:

:boohoo:

Peterson isn't taking a feather from their cap. He's turning his nose up at a lucrative rematch to take care of "family business".

The Klitschko rematches were done in the absence of lucrative alternatives.

This is all. :dunno: I sought no offence, found no offence, too no offence, I just felt the example was incongruous, didn't fit.

REEDsART
12-23-2011, 03:41 AM
When Chris Byrd "Beat" Vitali, Who AVENGED the Loss???...When Ross Purrity & Corrie Sanders Beat Wlad, Who AVENGED Those Losses???...Anthony Peterson Lost to Brandon Rios & Now Lamont Peterson is Looking to Avenge It...

The Pieces & the Comparison Fits PERFECTLY, Unless U're Willing to Dig 6 Feet Deeeeeeep on Tangential Bullshit...

REED:boohoo:

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:47 AM
When Chris Byrd "Beat" Vitali, Who AVENGED the Loss???...When Ross Purrity & Corrie Sanders Beat Wlad, Who AVENGED Those Losses???...Anthony Peterson Lost to Brandon Rios & Now Lamont Peterson is Looking to Avenge It...

The Pieces & the Comparison Fits PERFECTLY, Unless U're Willing to Dig 6 Feet Deeeeeeep on Tangential Bullshit...

REED:boohoo:

When Wlad beat Byrd, Byrd WAS the big payday. Prior to that it was Monte Barrett. When Vitali beat Sanders, Lewis was the big ticket. Prior to that it was Cedric Boswell. Vitali didn't fight Sanders because Sanders beat Wlad, he fought him because Lewis retired.

REEDsART
12-23-2011, 04:14 AM
When Wlad beat Byrd, Byrd WAS the big payday. Prior to that it was Monte Barrett. When Vitali beat Sanders, Lewis was the big ticket. Prior to that it was Cedric Boswell. Vitali didn't fight Sanders because Sanders beat Wlad, he fought him because Lewis retired.
REED's Point was Very SPECIFIC & had NATHAN to Do w/"Paydays"...Not Really Sure why U Persist in Clinging to TANGENTIAL BULLSHIT...

REED:dancingBaby:

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 04:17 AM
REED's Point was Very SPECIFIC & had NATHAN to Do w/"Paydays"...Not Really Sure why U Persist in Clinging to TANGENTIAL BULLSHIT...

REED:dancingBaby:

I'm sorry you feel this way. Vitali ultimately fought Sanders because Lewis retired. Peterson will be fighting Rios whilst Khan is still there and begging for a Re.

REEDsART
12-23-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm sorry you feel this way. Vitali ultimately fought Sanders because Lewis retired. Peterson will be fighting Rios whilst Khan is still there and begging for a Re.
Riiiight...

Vitali Fighting Sanders had Absolutely NATHAN To Do w/the FACT that Sanders Whipped Wlad's Ass...Mere Coincidence...

REED:notallthere:

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Riiiight...

Vitali Fighting Sanders had Absolutely NATHAN To Do w/the FACT that Sanders Whipped Wlad's Ass...Mere Coincidence...

REED:notallthere:

Vitali wouldn't have been fighting him if Lewis had arranged a rematch. Khan wants the rematch. Peterson will fight Rios.

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Vitali wouldn't have been fighting him if Lewis had arranged a rematch. Khan wants the rematch. Peterson will fight Rios.

No one cares, bro.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 08:37 AM
No one cares, bro.

Reed does.

mikE
12-23-2011, 12:02 PM

There were parts of the Ali act that sucked, but I agree that no mandatory rematch clauses for mandatory bouts was an excellent inclusion. (The other area that comes to mind was not letting the sanctioning bodies strip their minor titles for no reason--that was really getting ridiculous).

Don't agree about Arum. I'd have to see some examples, first.

Khan's best option is to call Peterson a pussy. Since everyone hates Khan already, he might as well play up the role. If Peterson does go on to fight other opponents--for LESS money--then he is ducking Khan. Khan should just move on, but call out Peterson at every occasion so that there is no doubt about who is ducking who right now. Then Khan can tell Peterson to fuck off if and when Peterson loses, but then seeks a $$$ match with Khan. Or Khan can at least lowball him at that point.

I think Peterson's best course would be to take an easy defense while Khan builds up a rematch and then do a rematch with Khan while he still has leverage and can get big big $$$. No way would I put him in with Rios with a Khan fight out there.

mikE
12-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Of course Pendleton would have knocked out Khan. The more you lose, the better you are, right Bert?

mexican wedding shirt
12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
There were parts of the Ali act that sucked, but I agree that no mandatory rematch clauses for mandatory bouts was an excellent inclusion. (The other area that comes to mind was not letting the sanctioning bodies strip their minor titles for no reason--that was really getting ridiculous).

Don't agree about Arum. I'd have to see some examples, first.

Khan's best option is to call Peterson a pussy. Since everyone hates Khan already, he might as well play up the role. If Peterson does go on to fight other opponents--for LESS money--then he is ducking Khan. Khan should just move on, but call out Peterson at every occasion so that there is no doubt about who is ducking who right now. Then Khan can tell Peterson to fuck off if and when Peterson loses, but then seeks a $$$ match with Khan. Or Khan can at least lowball him at that point.

I think Peterson's best course would be to take an easy defense while Khan builds up a rematch and then do a rematch with Khan while he still has leverage and can get big big $$$. No way would I put him in with Rios with a Khan fight out there.

Agreed, seems like a ludicrous idea.

What parts of the act sucked?

Also, I might be overrating Rios, we'll have to wait and see, but I think many people on this forum are underrating him.

Needless to say he'd get crushed by the likes of Pacquiao and Floyd, and I would pick Marquez over him too I think, but I have feeling he'll prove to be pretty hard to beat outside of the super elite.

I am fairly confident that he beats the Khans and Peterdudes of the world. He's a much better fighter than Maidana.

mikE
12-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Agreed, seems like a ludicrous idea.

What parts of the act sucked?

Also, I might be overrating Rios, we'll have to wait and see, but I think many people on this forum are underrating him.

Needless to say he'd get crushed by the likes of Pacquiao and Floyd, and I would pick Marquez over him too I think, but I have feeling he'll prove to be pretty hard to beat outside of the super elite.

I am fairly confident that he beats the Khans and Peterdudes of the world. He's a much better fighter than Maidana.

Ah...over 10 years ago when I was on top of it...checking the internet now...the wiki article is extremely and unusually weak so that's no help...this is better... http://www.ringsidebygus.com/ali-act.html ... but I'm not seeing the stuff that I had problems with... one of them is that it handicapped promoters...not letting them act as managers...it gutted the Don King way which is good in some respects, but it also prevents a guy like Keith Holmes from making big money like he did with Don...as I remember, Holmes was making 3x more with King than Arum admitted he could pay him...

It also had a bunch of shit that isn't being enforced...but my problems with the act were more about its inclusions rather than its future enforcement...

I don't think I liked the parts about states having to go by other state's suspensions...at least not in every situation...

The bill addressed shit that didn't need to be addressed and took away state rights in places it shouldn't have...

anyway...here's a pretty decent article from Charles Jay... http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/charles-jay-takes-on-john-mccain-boxing-reform/ As I remember, I was in line with many of his positions back then...however this article is not from 2000, it's from 2008.

REEDsART
12-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Reed does.
Nah...

REED Lost Interest in your Tangential BULLSHIT Several HOURS Ago...

REED:popcorn:

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Ah...over 10 years ago when I was on top of it...checking the internet now...the wiki article is extremely and unusually weak so that's no help...this is better... http://www.ringsidebygus.com/ali-act.html ... but I'm not seeing the stuff that I had problems with... one of them is that it handicapped promoters...not letting them act as managers...it gutted the Don King way which is good in some respects, but it also prevents a guy like Keith Holmes from making big money like he did with Don...as I remember, Holmes was making 3x more with King than Arum admitted he could pay him...

It also had a bunch of shit that isn't being enforced...but my problems with the act were more about its inclusions rather than its future enforcement...

I don't think I liked the parts about states having to go by other state's suspensions...at least not in every situation...

The bill addressed shit that didn't need to be addressed and took away state rights in places it shouldn't have...

anyway...here's a pretty decent article from Charles Jay... http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/charles-jay-takes-on-john-mccain-boxing-reform/ As I remember, I was in line with many of his positions back then...however this article is not from 2000, it's from 2008.

Don King, sanctioning bodies - you appreciate the finer things, mikE. :bears:

mikE
12-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Feebles, if the ref wanted to make a name for himself, why didn't he take points off Peterson instead? Then he probably would have got a name and more work?

Where does the ref work? Where is Peterson from?

mikE
12-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Don King, sanctioning bodies - you appreciate the finer things, mikE. :bears:

I appreciate fighters making the most money possible. Don King and sanctioning bodies are means to that end.

I also appreciate free markets.

I also appreciate that power tends to corrupt so things like sanctioning bodies and Don King-types need checks against their power. But so do jackasses like John McCain.

I also appreciate your usual inability to appreciate anything other than the obvious which means I probably lost you a few sentences ago.

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I appreciate fighters making the most money possible. Don King and sanctioning bodies are means to that end.

I also appreciate free markets.

I also appreciate that power tends to corrupt so things like sanctioning bodies and Don King-types need checks against their power. But so do jackasses like John McCain.

I also appreciate your usual inability to appreciate anything other than the obvious which means I probably lost you a few sentences ago.

The part in bold contradicts itself. Had to stop there, sorry mikE, you fucking idiot.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Nah...

REED Lost Interest in your Tangential BULLSHIT Several HOURS Ago...

REED:popcorn:

Reed, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 02:33 PM
The part in bold contradicts itself. Had to stop there, sorry mikE, you fucking idiot.

Too crude, too crude, too premature. You're too face-first, go back to the 6 rounders kid, learn your trade.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Where does the ref work? In a boxing ring where thunder is thrown
Where is Peterson from? America.

I see no relation.

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Too crude, too crude, too premature. You're too face-first, go back to the 6 rounders kid, learn your trade.

Sometimes it's fun to throw some hard shots early. I've plenty of stamina in the tank.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Sometimes it's fun to throw some hard shots early. I've plenty of stamina in the tank.

You're going to gas, start pushing, then a point comes off and major paydays go down the chute.....:doh:

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 02:54 PM
You're going to gas, start pushing, then a point comes off and major paydays go down the chute.....:doh:

Sometimes someone makes such a glaring error - like saying Don King is the road to boxers getting their fair share - you can't help but load up on a big shot. The early KO is there, and even if you don't get it, he's got nothing to challenge you down the stretch.

Neil
12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
how about if someone claims hopkins hit his peak at age 40+ versus tarver?

should you go all in for the KO, mike jones-soto karrass style?

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Equally silly statement, but at least Irish knows better.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Nope. Never convicted on no hit no peak at 40 claim!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HIWUN7x_C-o/SSUkjtueyqI/AAAAAAAAAi8/MTmX3e-bjl0/s200/carlito_brigante.jpg

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Equally silly statement, but at least Irish knows better.

Who made it???

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Sometimes someone makes such a glaring error - like saying Don King is the road to boxers getting their fair share - you can't help but load up on a big shot. The early KO is there, and even if you don't get it, he's got nothing to challenge you down the stretch.

A lot of guys did make a lot of money with King, they made so much money that they could afford to let him take half of it and still be rich. Boxers don't help themselves. Nigel Benn used to play that fucking card..."Duhh....what do I care how much Don King gets if I am makiing $3m...." dummies.

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 03:16 PM
A lot of guys did make a lot of money with King, they made so much money that they could afford to let him take half of it and still be rich. Boxers don't help themselves. Nigel Benn used to play that fucking card..."Duhh....what do I care how much Don King gets if I am makiing $3m...." dummies.

I think we agree?

Either way, to say you support boxers getting as much money as they can and bringing up King as an example to support said stance.. well, that makes you a fucking idiot. :lol:

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
I think we agree?

Either way, to say you support boxers getting as much money as they can and bringing up King as an example to support said stance.. well, that makes you a fucking idiot. :lol:

Yeah basically we agree. Thats not to say some guys didn't make money with King. One thing I hated was the Don King Bad - Bob Arum Good routine.

Double L
12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
I actually think boxers should be focused on what they make in absolute terms and not get caught up in percentages.

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah basically we agree. Thats not to say some guys didn't make money with King. One thing I hated was the Don King Bad - Bob Arum Good routine.

They are both scum. King was just a little more blatant about his criminal behavior. I just hope Don's death is long and painful.

Neil
12-23-2011, 03:33 PM
king was the greatest promoter ever. a boxer could benefit from his promotional expertise financially as long as checks and balances were in place. obviously not allowing carl king or another crony to manage you was crucial.

mexican wedding shirt
12-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I actually think boxers should be focused on what they make in absolute terms and not get caught up in percentages.

Agreed. 10% of a huge amount is a lot more than 100% of nothing :)

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 03:37 PM
king was the greatest promoter ever. a boxer could benefit from his promotional expertise financially as long as checks and balances were in place. obviously not allowing carl king or another crony to manage you was crucial.

Many fighters didn't get that option.

mikE
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Many fighters didn't get that option.

Don King made many of his fighters more money than any other promoter would have. Keith Holmes is a perfect example.

Fighters need to watch out for themselves, but thinking that Don King didn't make many of them better off than they otherwise would have been is wrong.

This is where you make a quip and throw in a lol face and ignore that I'm right. Here, I'll include one in this post so you just copy and paste. :lol:

steve_dave
12-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Don King made many of his fighters more money than any other promoter would have. Keith Holmes is a perfect example.

Fighters need to watch out for themselves, but thinking that Don King didn't make many of them better off than they otherwise would have been is wrong.

This is where you make a quip and throw in a lol face and ignore that I'm right. Here, I'll include one in this post so you just copy and paste. :lol:

Does Keith Holmes make up for the list of fighters he tricked/forced into longterm deals and ripped off in the 80s?

I would venture to say I know quite a bit more about this subject than you do mikE, otherwise you wouldn't be defending King here.

mexican wedding shirt
12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Does Keith Holmes make up for the list of fighters he tricked/forced into longterm deals and ripped off in the 80s?

I would venture to say I know quite a bit more about this subject than you do mikE, otherwise you wouldn't be defending King here.

No. Obviously mikE is right in that King managed to monetise some fighters to the max, above what their market value should have been, but that's overshadowed significantly by the amount of fighters he's skanked the shit out of.

mikE
12-23-2011, 04:16 PM

We'll never know because you never make any substantive posts.

Cory Spinks, Mayorga, James Page...we are talking about guys who were looking at minimum wage in boxing terms and Don King managed to turn them into draws.

I don't deny that Don King took advantage of many fighters, but that is (arguably) his job. He's the promoter, not the manager, not the fighter. He promoted, he made the pot bigger than it would have been with most, if not all, other promoters, and if you looked out for yourself you would be better off with King than with the other guys.

This isn't going to be true in all cases, but it is true in enough that the point stands and your dismissal (absent anything other than a proclamation, as usual) doesn't.

In the situations where King didn't live up to his part of the bargain, fighters could take him to court and win what they were entitled to. But I am pretty confident that those were the exceptions (at least legally), and not the rules.

Irish 2002/2003
12-23-2011, 06:40 PM
King would make you a millionaire. If you had brains. But if you had brains, you wouldn't be a boxer in the first place, and if you still did, you wouldn't sign for King. Kind of a non-starter.

Erratic
12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Khan is starting to annoy me with his whining, in addition to his ugly, amateurish, "stay away from me" style. Plus he has gotten overrated as hell, like many fighters do when they have fast hands.

It'll be entertaining when he gets his ass kicked. I'm glad Peterson won, because I value boxing skills over athleticism and "leap amateurism".

mexican wedding shirt
12-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Fast handed fighters definitely get overrated in a big way.

For 2 reasons.

1) It's such an obvious and flashy attribute.

2) Fast hands really do go a long way in boxing. Especially when coupled with reach. That's basically all Khan has.

Xplosive
12-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Khan is starting to annoy me with his whining, in addition to his ugly, amateurish, "stay away from me" style. Plus he has gotten overrated as hell, like many fighters do when they have fast hands.

It'll be entertaining when he gets his ass kicked. I'm glad Peterson won, because I value boxing skills over athleticism and "leap amateurism".

Trust me, trash-Khan WILL get his ass whupped again. The fucker isnt improving anymore than he already has. What we see is what we get at this point.

I dont think any top fighters will have too much trouble figuring out his style anymore. Handspeed only gets you so far. And what good is handspeed when you have shit footwork, and shit reflexes?

Khan has more beatings coming.

Erratic
12-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I've been over at boxingscene, ESB, and watching HBO too much.

I kid you not, I actually have heard more than a few people talk about Khan's "great footwork" and how he is "a complete fighter except for his chin".

puerto rock
12-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah the boxingscene forum is pretty bad. Lol.

If Peterson faces Rios and loses to him, would GB allow Khan to face Rios?

puerto rock
12-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Trust me, trash-Khan WILL get his ass whupped again. The fucker isnt improving anymore than he already has. What we see is what we get at this point.

I dont think any top fighters will have too much trouble figuring out his style anymore. Handspeed only gets you so far. And what good is handspeed when you have shit footwork, and shit reflexes?

Khan has more beatings coming.

I think he's gonna be protected honestly.

At least until he gets either a Mayweather or Pacquiao fight, which by then he'll get his ass whipped again.

But I doubt Golden Boy will allow him to fight anyone too dangerous for short money.

Irish 2002/2003
12-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Fast handed fighters definitely get overrated in a big way.

For 2 reasons.

1) It's such an obvious and flashy attribute.

2) Fast hands really do go a long way in boxing. Especially when coupled with reach. That's basically all Khan has.

Amir Khan is to boxing what Glam Metal is to The Philadelphia Philharmonic Orchestra.

He is spandex, in a jar, wrapped in tinfoil, with some LED's and some tinsel.