Is the Heavyweight division the most exciting division in boxing right now?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Jimmy, May 15, 2017.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Give me your thoughts.

2. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Potentially, Yes, but Not as of Yet...

Thus Far, Joshua's Faced Wlad, as has Fury, but Until Those Guys Face Each Other and the Likes of Wilder, Ortiz, Parker, etc., Follow Suit, REED Would Tab Welterweight as the Sports Most Exciting Division...

@ Welter, Porter's Already Faced Brook, Broner and Thurman (w/a RE Looming)...Thurman's Faced Porter and Garcia...Garcia's Faced Thurman, Khan and Matttttthhhhhyyyyyysssse (Who Both Campaign @ Welter Now)...Spence is Jumping in the Mix w/Brook in Less than 2 Weeks...And Terrance Crawford will Undoubtedly Move Up Soon...

Granted, Joshua-Wlad was a More Exciting Fight than Any of the Aforementioned, but in Terms of MEANINGFUL Matchups Coming to Fruition, it's Hard to Beat Welter Right Now...

REED:cool:

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Welterweight has the edge...especially if Pacquiao gets back into the mix and is still capable. If fights between Joshua, Wilder, Fury, Ortiz and Parker start getting made then the heavyweights will be on top.

4. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Hell no

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Just because of one great fight in [Insert Years Here] ?

No.

6. Jimmy

I agree, I've just seen many people posting on other sites saying they think the heavyweight division is the most exciting. It will be when all the big guns start facing each other but it's not right now.

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

But also, when was the the last time the Heavyweight division was the most exciting.....I mean realistically?

8. Jimmy

Well, the 1990's and this era does not compare, even if Fury comes back and we see all these guys facing each other. Don't get me wrong though, it'll be awesome if those fights come to fruition.

9. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

the 1990s was good...but definately not the most exciting division of that decade....

10. Jimmy

Well obviously not as exciting as the golden Age of the 1970's, but it was still a great period for heavyweight boxing.

11. Jimmy

We've seen many fighters face soft opposition because their handlers want to protect the belt they hold and their 'O', instead of facing the best in their division. Slowly but surely, this is changing.

You get the sense with Wilder though that he's just not going to step up to the plate and it's time now that he does. It's time to smell the roses and cash out.
    But he's the American champ and if he's gone, who is there across the pond?

There's just too much money to be made from AJ-Wilder though so it's gonna happen.

12. Jimmy

To add, AJ-Wilder is the most exciting fight to make at heavyweight.

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Wilder Tried to Fight Povetkin, but he's Definitely COASTED in Terms of Matchmaking, Since that Bout Fell Thru...

Of the New Wave of NAME Heavyweights, REED Thinks Wilder Should Fight Joseph Parker...He's the Least Threatening of the Bunch, Yet Would BOLSTER Wilder's Status, Simultaneously...

In Theory, Joshua-Wilder Would Be a Good American Debut for Annn-Tunney, But Wilder is Only a Draw in the State of Alabama, a Place Joshua has NOfuckingBUSINESS Fighting...Vegas or MSG for Joshua, Exclusively...

14. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Welterweight and super welterweight are the two best divisions IMO.

But, the heavyweight division is starting to get exciting again. There is some talent making it's way to the forefront. But we need to see some of the matchups start to materialize.

15. Jimmy

True, he did try to fight Povetkin but on the whole, his career to date has been a laughing stock.

I can see Parker facing Bellew before anyone else. It makes sense for him and for Bellew. Bellew has Eddie Hearn behind him so Parker would make the most amount of money he's ever made in his career, would likely be tempted over to the UK, beat Bellew thus making a name for himself over here and increasing the chances of fighting Joshua here too. But it's not a fight that I or many others care about.

Bellew is also a good opponent for Wilder to fight over here too. It'll boost his popularity in the UK and would make a Joshua-Wilder fight all the more appealing to fight fans. Little chance though that Wilder chooses the UK over Alabama though.

16. Jimmy

Would Wilder-Klitschko appeal to many and could it happen in Vegas or MSG?

17. Jimmy

Because something has to be done to increase Wilder's popularity in the States as Joshua-Wilder does big numbers and the more Wilder is exposed over there the more bucks there is to make from the fight, no?

18. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Klitshko was never a draw in the states and I can't imagine it's changed after he's been humiliated and ktfo in his last two fights. He's obviously a threat to Wilder and it wouldn't make any sense for Wilder to risk losing to a has been that lost decisively to the other two names in the division.

Wilder fighting Bellew in England to set up a fight with Joshua or Fury makes more sense. He can lowball Bellew since he's a nobody, fill up an arena and make more money than in Bama and Bellew has the promise of the big Joshua/Fury payday if he wins.

Wilder-Parker could happen but Parker is unknown.

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

There'd Be a DEGREE of Appeal to Wilder-Klitschko, Especially if Wlad Chose That Route Next , Instead of an Immediate RE w/Joshua...It WOULDN'T Be a Successful PPV, However, and Wouldn't Be Vegas or MSG Worthy, in REED's Opinion...Barely a Ripple from the Mainstream Fans...

Barclay's Might Not Be a Bad Venue Though, or Alabama...

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

As REED Types, Joshua's ALREADY Garnered More Mainstream American Notoriety than Wilder Ever Has, Including Winning Bronze @ the '08 Olympics...600,000 or So Americans Caught the Live Broadcast of the Wlad Fight on Showtime, and Another 6-700,000 (or More) Watched the HBO Replay, Several Hours Later...

Undoubtedly, the Bout Would Do Bigger and Better Business in Europe, but if the Intent is for Joshua to Fight in America, Wilder's the ONLY Opponent that Makes Sense/Cents...

21. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

If the money is right, I can't see Wilder refusing going to UK to fight Bellew. This should be an easy one.

22. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

That's an exaggeration. Americans don't care about a British bronze medal. Wilders entertaining KO's got some attention as well. I agree Joshua's only door to the US market is thru Wilder.

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

1nce Again, WTF Twerp???...

In MULTIPLE Threads Now, You've Attributed Comments to REED that he NEVER Even Made...You've Proven to Be QUITE Talented @ Completely MISinterpreting Words that Have Been CLEARLY Presented to You...

"British Bronze Medal"???...

Uuuuuuh, The "Bronze Medal" REED Spoke of was Wilder's, in the 2008 Olympics...REED Even STATED Such in the Post You Quoted...Do You Actually REED the Fucking Posts You Respond To, OR Are You Soooooo Caught Up in Other Shit, You're OBLIVIOUS to Your Own Responses???...

For the Record, Joshua has a "British GOLD Medal", Which was Actually an OLYMPIC Gold Medal...Not Sure WHEN/WHERE You Got Confused, but Look in the Fucking MIRROR...Joshua Beat the Presumed "Champion" in Front of 600,000 AMERICAN Showtime Viewers + That Amount and More on the HBO Replay...

Anthony Joshua's ALREADY More of a Statewide Draw in America than Deontay Wilder Is...w/Out EVER Fighting on American Soil to This Point...What EXACTLY Were You Bitching About in the 1st Fucking Place???...

REEDo_O

24. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    If wilder fights joshua it only makes sense in the uk

25. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Wilder is definitely not even half the draw that AJ is. And I don't see him becoming any bigger of a star.

All things point to him having to go over to London if he wants that AJ fight.

26. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I thank the Lord that American Football is not popular with Englands big men.

27. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

AJ isn't a big draw per se.

There are 2 guys on the planet he does 90,000 against.

The rest of them............it's probably 20,000 at the Excel.

28. Jimmy

Not three?

29. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I get where Irish is coming from (am assuming he's referring to Wilder and Fury), those two sell out Wembley. Still though, AJ has clearly crossed over into the mainstream, and Hearn, as much as I don't like the guy, is brilliant at selling to the casuals. Maybe only a couple of guys sell out Wembley as it currently stands but I'm pretty sure he could sell out most football stadiums in England regardless of the opponent. Hatton sold out the City of Manchester stadium and that was against a guy like Lazcano. Joshua at the current rate will surpass Hatton's drawing power IMO (which I never understood).

30. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Off topic but I totally understood Hatton's draw....having grown up in England. Hatton was the typical white boy. He was a pub going lad that was 100% English, unadulterated white boy with no pigment or lips. The Brits love guys like that. He was boxing version of Wayne Rooney...who's the same type of pure English nutter. Just look at the crowd that used to follow hatton around chanting " there's only one Ricky Hatton!".....bunch of drunk nationalistic Anglo Saxons