Spence vs Thurman

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, May 27, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Honestly, is there ANYBODY left who would pick Run Time?

2. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

This would sell more tickets at AT&T Stadium than Canelo-GGG

3. Xplosive

No it wouldn't.

4. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Spence would brutally beat him up. He'd have Thurman living up to the "Run Time" monicker.

5. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Thurman is probably better than brook, but i still think spence is too much for him

6. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Thurman has a shot. He's athletic and fluid and Brook made Spence look a little clunky at times. Thurmans winging shots could land through Spence's guard if he catches him standing with his guard up. If Brook could've put up another close round and ran the last two he'd have probably won a decision. I could possibly see Thurman out working him early and surviving late.

But Spence seems too strong and Thurman seems like he'd bust up and wilt. Thurman has the tools and the skills in flashes but it's all about consistency against a bruiser like Spence.

7. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Thurman has better handspeed than Brook. He put Garcia in a shell with one counterpunch and took over after that. Spence has to be favored but I am looking forward to this fight. Would like to see Spence/ Porter too.

8. Xplosive

I couldn't agree more with that last sentence.

I'd very much enjoy watching Spence wipe his ass with your Ohio grappling scrub.

It boggles my mind how YOU of all people, the number one guy who hates grapplers, supports THE biggest grappler in the sport. It's gotta be the Ohio connection.

Kenny Porter ain't stupid. He ain't gonna let his son fight Spence.

9. Bordon

Porter doesn't really grapple, he just puts his body so close on his opponent that neither has any punching room and they just tangle up with each other. He's a shitty stinky fighter but I wouldn't say it's because he holds.

10. Xplosive

Porter makes Ricky Hatton look as smooth as Alexis Arguello.

11. puerto rock

I thought Porter did plenty of holding against Kell Brook.

12. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Thurman vs Spence is a 50:50 fight

Before this bout Brook was called a scrub, and Thurman is considered weak only since he once vinced after a body shot

13. Bordon

Thurman can't fight on the inside at all which means he's going to have to gazelle hop his ass off to keep Spence at distance.

14. Xplosive

Sure as Hell no
    I said PRIOR to yesterday that Brook gives Spence more trouble than Thurman.

You guys see something in Thurman that I'm not seeing.

Spence is a higher level technician with a better defense, and a better chin, and MUCH better stamina.

Theres gonna be a lot of crow to eat. Thurman won't see the distance.

15. puerto rock

The height and reach difference would be a big problem for Thurman. Plus the likelihood that he wouldn't be able to discourage Spence with his power makes it extremely difficult for him to not take a beating, even if he is able to run away for 12 rounds and hear the final bell.

I see Thurman putting this fight off for as long as possible under the pretext of "needing to build this fight up" until the pressure is too much and he can't put it off any longer.

16. Bordon

Spence doesn't have a better defense than Thurman.

17. puerto rock

Neither is a defensive genius. Thurman just changed his style after the Collazo fight. But his defensive holes would be badly exposed by Spence.

18. Bordon

Thurman has a much better defense. Even if most of it is running. I see the story is quickly changing from Spence taking a lot of shots and
    losing most of the early and Mid rounds before wearing Brook down to him dominating Brook with ease and simply "analyzing" him when he was getting out punched and outboxed lol.

19. puerto rock

To me, Brook was outboxing him in spots, but not consistently. Spence did a lot of good work even in those early rounds he had lost. It was never one sided until about the 7th round when it became all Spence.

Thurman doesn't have the ring IQ of Brook anyway. Nor does he have the jab and timing on his punches that Brook does. Thurman is just athletic with decent hand speed and decent power. Nothing more. Spence would figure him out easier than he did Brook.

20. Xplosive

Terp is a shameless Thurman groupie.

Thurman doesn't have a quality defense.

He's a pathetic Jones wannabe is what he is. Tries to avoid punches on reflex the way Roy used to, problem is he doesn't have a fraction of Roy's reflexes.

Thurman's quickness will give Spence a few early problems, but trust me, once Spence cuts the ring and finds his range, and you'll see how leaky Thurman's defense is.

21. Xplosive

Terp and few other dimwits keep pushing the theory that Brook "dominated" the mid rounds, but it's false.

Through 6, I had it 3-3. Brook 4-2 through 6 I have no problem with, but 4-2 after 6 rounds is hardly a domination.

What's not debatable is this... after 6 rounds Brook NEVER won another round. It was all Spence from round 7 on.

So please spare us... this was no life and death struggle that Spence had to pull out the fire.

After 6 rounds, he outboxed Brook, beat Brook up, then made him quit.

If that was Terp's buddy Thurman in there with Brook last night, Run Time would have gotten hurt and outboxed.

22. Bordon

I'll kill you sonuvabitch!!! Lol. I don't dislike Thurman but I picked Spence to stop him. All this Thurman love is in response to you guys going a little overboard with Spence.

23. Xplosive

I don't feel I'm going overboard on Spence.

He's no young Roy, he's no young Floyd, he's no Whitaker, or Leonard, or Ali... he'll never be that level.

But he's an EXCELLENT fighter and has the potential to one day be a HOFmer if he keeps his head on straight... I don't think that's overrating him. I don't think he'll ever be an "all time great".... but a HOFmer isn't much of a stretch.

24. Bordon

I was rooting for Spence and picked him to win by KO. As someone who was rooting for him I can say there was definitely uncertainty and danger in there. He goddamn sure wasn't "in control all the way" like someone else said.

It's a shame you're spoiling such a great win for Spence with this nonsense. He earned the right to call out the welterweight champ two days ago. Not before.

25. puerto rock

Thurman would in all likelihood lose to Brook, I agree.

26. Bordon

I can see him being a great fighter. It stood out to me how Thurman and Porter were going rounds with guys like Bundu and Lo Greco and Spence destroyed them like he was supposed to.

But you don't have to jump the gun. Realistically he's the #1 contender and I'd favor him over the champ.

27. Xplosive

Right now, neither Spence nor Thurman has the right to call themselves welterweight CHAMPION. That's what the PURPOSE of them fighting is for... to DETERMINE the welterweight champion. As of now, both are titlists. Just because Thurman has one more belt doesn't mean a damn thing to me, as Garcia was handed his belt on a silver platter.

Last night, Spence not ONLY beat a better fighter than Thurman's ever beaten, he beat a man who MANY of us consider BETTER than Thurman.

Thurman will get the top billing, as he's a bigger mainstream name right now, but Spence should be, and will be probably like a 3-1 favorite.

28. Xplosive

Thurman will probably beat Brook NOW!

Brook's gonna retire within 2 years IMO. BOTH his eyes are fucked now.

If I were Kell, I'd cash out against Khan then hang em up. It'll STILL be a huge fight in the UK, Kell will earn his highest payday, and he'll stop Khan easily.

Maybe Brook vs Liam Smith is a fight Kell should look at. That'd be a pretty good seller in the UK, and Brook would beat the Hell outta Smith.

29. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Ezekiel is done. Thurman would beat him now. He shoulda NEVER went up to 160lbs to fight GGG. What the hell were his team thinking?

30. Bordon

Spence was always an interesting name to throw in the mix but he wasn't actually in the mix until Saturday. And by the time he did that a Champ had already been established.