Dumbest Recent Statements from Casual Fans (Name em)

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Yes. And if Canelo looked like Antonio Margarito, then he'd never be a PPV star, and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in close fights against Trout and Lara, so he'd likely have 3 losses instead of 1.

2. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

He's not 'awful'. He's a good fighter. But in comparison to what has gone before him in such a decorated division, he is an average champion. He has no real power to speak of. He has awful stamina. He takes rounds off. His technique is decent but no more than that. His chin is okay but he can be put in a shell when facing someone who hits him, and he is hittable.

He is the champion of a truly appalling division. This could easily be the worst era of middleweight fighters in the last 40 years. Even the era of Hopkins, which was an absolute barren waste by comparison to the era which can before it, was better than this - Holmes, Joppy, Eastman et al were better than the likes of Jr, Smith and Khan. Much better.

MTF

3. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Canelo is a good fighter. Limited but good. I wouldn't pick him over the elite 154 pounders of all time but he could alot of guys.

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Yup, but on the flip side, if he looked like Margarito and wasn't as popular with the mainstream...you'd probably appreciate his skills more than you do now.

5. Xplosive

I recognize all of Canelo's skills.

He's got a solid jab, he's a good combination puncher and counter puncher, and although you overrate his defense, his defense isn't horrible.

I don't know about "appreciate"... I usually only "appreciate" the skills exceptional fighters, which Canelo is not.

I appreciate the rare skills of Floyd, even though I hate the man.

There's nothing to APPRECIATE about Canelo, cause he doesn't bring anything to the table that we haven't seen before.

He's a good offensive fighter... and although I don't THINK he'll beat Golovkin, obviously he's not without a chance. Acknowledging all that should be enough.

6. Destruction and Mayhem

Fair enough. I agree that he's not exceptional.

7. Xplosive

But neither is Golovkin, to be honest. So Canelo does have a chance.

Golovkin not being exceptional is why I was outraged when you suggested a few years ago that Golov could beat Hagler.

8. Destruction and Mayhem

Hagler wasn't exceptional either. He was a solid all round fighter with an exceptional chin but he made hard work of fights that he should have won easily if he were exceptional (Mugabi and Duran for example). A guy like Jones, who was exceptional, would have embarrassed the majority of Hagler's opponents.

9. puerto rock

"Naseem Hamed is one of the top 10 most skilled boxers of all time."

I liked watching Hamed fight and he brought some excitement to the game but come on.

10. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Like he embarrassed Jorge Castro?

11. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    If Amir Khan did have a chin it's entirely possible he'd have entered the top 10 pfp a long time ago.

He doesn't have a chin and got past Maidana having nearly stopped him in the first round.

He was making Garcia look stupid too, and not for one round either.

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Right...

Because Castro Be Awarded a Participation Medal for Winning MAYBE 1-2 of 10 Rounds vs. a 17 Fight Pro...

Certainly Wasn't a MEMORABLE Moment in Castro's Career...

REED:cool:

13. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

It wasn't one of the most memorable of Jones' career either. Castro was just a strong rugged guy like Hamsho, Obel, Roldan, etc But not as good. Young Jones was uneasy about how tough and reckless the guy was. People under rate how green Jones was at 160.

14. Xplosive

In Jones last title defense at 160, against Thomas Tate, I think he officially entered his prime.

15. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. Jones at 160 wasnt very impressive. Fast and a hard puncher, but not a lot of craft

16. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Jorge Castro is one of the toughest humans in the history of earth

And a young jones jr beat the dog shit out of him

17. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    "There's no way Mayweather can hurt McGregor because McGregor is used to getting hit with little MMA gloves. Those boxing gloves are going to feel like getting hit with pillows."

o_O

18. puerto rock

"Canelo would have destroyed Tito."

I think both Vargas and Reid would beat Canelo, in all honesty.

19. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Absurd

20. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I'd confidently pick Vargas over Canelo. Reid-Canelo is a good matchup.

21. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

IRS

22. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Some guy where I work, who'S a big Mayweather fan, said you had to rank PBF in front of Ali (which is arguable) because Ali record was littered with bums :eek:

23. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

You work with Slystaff?

24. Destruction and Mayhem

Doesn't sound like slystaff to me. My impression of him, and I could be wrong, is that he's a bigger Ali fan than he is a mayweather fan and thinks Ali's level of competition is second to none.

25. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Maybe. Haven't seen him for ages. Heard he got arrested for something unsavory.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

Yeah, he was banging cocktail waitresses, two at a time. Players couldn't get a drink at the table. What's da matter with you?

27. Xplosive

Floyd has no case in living Hell for being ranked over Ali. You should be banned from any boxing forum if you're a fan who believes that.

It's HIGHLY arguable if Floyd even belongs over Chavez all time. And Chavez, while high on all time lists, isn't in the same ranking class as Robinson, Ali, Armstrong, Duran, ect.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  28. Destruction and Mayhem

While I rank Ali over Mayweather to say Floyd isn't in the class of Ali, Robinson, Armstrong and Duran is just "ignant".

Similar to the way Americans cannot accept any concept outside of the almighty constitution, many boxing fans must have certain names in their top 5 without considering the possibility that maybe just maybe other fighters have since surpassed them.

Ray Robinson would NOT be ranked p4p # 1 all time if he were fighting today ( not saying there are better fighters currently active, just saying that if he were contemporary he wouldn't be nearly as revered). He received that status because he revolutionized the game with the introduction of the speedy slick, moving, combination punching style of fighting. As I said before, he was ahead of his time. He was a pioneer.He also demonstrated great chin heart and power and was the first fighter to hold the mythical P4P title. It was created for him actually. However this doesn't mean that he's the P4P number one forever. He had flaws and there have since been fighters with better boxing acumen than him that have built upon what he introduced way back when in the good old days of black and white. Einstein is known for his intelligence and he ( among others) revokutionized science, however that doesn't mean that he's the smartest man who will ever live. Same type of thing. Founding fathers of the US constitution were smart men....doesn't mean they were inerrant. Too many people are stuck in the past. If JC Owens wasn't timed, fuckers like you would be saying that he's faster than Usain Bolt.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  29. Xplosive

Conversely, if you put in Floyd in Robinson's era, the narrative of his career, which is COMPLETELY built around his unbeaten record, changes entirely. Floyd would NOT be undefeated if he was fighting as frequently as Robinson, and taking on the level of opposition as Robinson. And who is Floyd without his precious 0?

Your dick riding must cease. At this point, you're clearly trying to make a transparent argument for Floyd as the GOAT. We all see it.

Ranking Floyd on the same tier as guys like Chavez, Monzon, and Whitaker is hardly a disgrace. If anything, it's generous to him.

He's done nothing to warrant top 5. Nothing.

30. Destruction and Mayhem

If you put Floyd in Robinson's era and if you assume he was fighting the p4p equivalents of Turpin, Lamotta, Olsen, Fulmer and Turpin as well as the smaller and/or washed up greats that Robinson was fighting....plus add some delicious black and white TV and Don Dunphy commentary and Floyd would be hailed as the GOAT all now. Given the frequency of fighting I concede that Floyd would have the odd "L" or two on his record but it wouldn't matter to modern fans who are forgiving of past greats having losses