Justice League encounters kryptonite at the Box Office

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]
    Justice League as expected took the top spot at the box office. What wasn't expected was a disappointing opening numbers it took. At $96 million this is a far cry from 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" $166 million opening which then went to gross a global total of $870 million. This opening was supposed to be in $200 million department, not lower than 'Wonder Woman" $103 million debut numbers. With a reported $300 million pricetag and an undisclosed additional hefty amount on marketing (some speculate it could be over $200 million), 'Justice League' is now on the losing end of make or break. There were already reports in the media about WB executives asking for a total reboot of the DCEU with 'Justice league" the last entry in the interconnected film universe. I don't know if this is a good idea. I think that could be worse. They should just lower the films budget and come up with better stories told by better directors (Wonder Woman did that and worked).
    [​IMG]
    In the second spot Wonder took a solid $27 million, exceeding expectations and marking the first successful opening for a Julia Roberts film in a long time.
    [​IMG]
    Descending to the third spot after reigning at the top for two weeks, Thor: Ragnarok added $21.7 million to its arcs with a current domestic total of $247 million placing it at the #1 spot of the Thor trilogy. Worldwide it also bested the previous two entries with a current total of $738 million.

Daddy's Home 2 took $14.8 million for a current two weeks domestic total of $50 million.

And on the fifth spot Murder on the Orient Express took $13.8 million for a two weeks total of $51.7 million. However the film is doing much better overseas at the tune of $96.5 million or a global total of $148.2 million, which puts the Kenneth Branagh directed murder/mystery in profit street.

Finally this week's other new release the low budget animated Nativity film The Star took a better than expected $10 million in the sixth spot.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Basically, they need to totally ditch Zak Snyder.

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I agree that they should do a reboot of the whole DCEU. What they have now has been a near total failure, especially compared to the complete opposite of success that Marvel has displayed.

They should have a think tank meeting and do a complete and thorough break down of all the characters, who’s going to get films done in what order, who’s going to write and direct, and the theme and atmosphere for their films.

I’d also seriously consider having DCEU’s films be considered in a different universe than the tv show as it hasn’t exactly helped with attendance having them be merged. Nobody gives a shit about that same universe stuff. Barring all that maybe they should just ask Disney to make them an offer.

4. Panchyprsss

They have not merged the tv series and the films. That is why the Barry Allen/Flash from the tv series is a different guy than the dudette of the films.

Oh and Snyder is already out.

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Bring back Green Lantern!

6. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Well there was a strong hint that green lantern will be in the next JL film.

7. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

I didn't know this shit was coming out till a few days ago...n the trailer was boring..

If it was between this n Thor I would go watch Thor.......

8. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    The Marvel universe is very well done and has a more successful backing. The numbers are underwhelming to a degree but it's not like they will lose money. It has made 200 million overseas already.

Yes it's embarrassing that the all star team up should have made more, but who really agreed with the strategy of team up first and then solo movie for the characters later???

Plenty of blame to go around for that and it doesn't even come down to movie quality AT ALL.

9. Destruction and Mayhem

I happen to think that DC made the right decision to go for the team up first. Marvel is way ahead and the audiences have gotten used to hero ensembles. I don’t think people would have the patience to wait through years of solo films like they did with marvel. So DC is in effect releasing the thriller album first and then releasing billy Jean and beat it. It’s the only strategy they have right now after what marvel has done

10. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

D.C. Stuffed up by rushing to establish a universe. Should have focused on strong individual films rather than playing catchup.

Fans would have waited for the big team film and good films would have allowed us to get invested. For example, if Bale was Batman in this film it would have been far more enticing to watch. Affleck needed a standalone film to establish himself before this. You could argue that Flash and Aquaman needed theirs too. Cyborg I'm not sure if he's a strong enough character to front his own film.

This would also have allowed more time between the death of Superman and his resurrection. I understand that they probably couldn't lock these guys into the contracts needed but this effort was always doomed.

11. Panchyprsss

WB just need to shrink these films budgets. After all, they still make from $600-$800+ million each, but with budgets ranging from $250 million to $300 million is too much of a gamble. 'Wonder Woman' had the smallest budget of them all ($130 million) yet it made almost as much globally as 'BvS:DOJ' which had a $250 million budget and most likely will have made more than "Justice League".

12. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I thought the stories were merged but just that they changed the characters.

13. Panchyprsss

As far as I know there is absolutely no connection between the tv shows and the films unlike Marvel's 'Agents of Shield' and 'Agent Carter'.

14. Panchyprsss

The weekend actual numbers were released and 'Justice League' made $3 million less than originally reported. So its domestic weekend actual was $93.8 million or $10 million less than 'Wonder Woman' debut numbers. Next weekend numbers will be crucial even though it barely has any significant competition unless the animated 'Coco' pulls a surprise opening.

15. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Fuck superhero movies.

16. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

They'e cool!

Even the bad ones.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

You do realize that the Batman films are superhero movies right? You mentioned in the past that you like them, as well as a couple x men films.
    So in conclusion...

Fuck you!

18. Panchyprsss

19. Xplosive

Did I stutter?

Fuck superhero movies.

20. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
  21. Destruction and Mayhem

No...fuck you , you motherfucking motherfucker!! ;)

22. Xplosive

I think Donnie Darko would make a helluva Batman.

23. Panchyprsss

You DO hate superhero movies! LOL

24. Panchyprsss

When Affleck was hired Bale stated that no one from WB asked him to reprise the role. He stated he would have considered it.

25. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Which is exactly what I pointed out in my pinpoint-perfect reviews of the faulty Justice League movie a few days ago.

26. Panchyprsss

Mocus: if you despise so much these films, why you keep watching them?

27. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I do the exactĺy what you don't before your fat, child-meddling fingers type anything: I watch movies regardless of their style, content, budget, who's in them, etc, so I can actually make an informed opinion about them, good or bad.

You just post:
    * box-office numbers (cut n pasted from another source)
    * rumours (cut n pasted from another source)

Now get back to the panchy dying horribly thread....

28. Panchyprsss

LOL @ cut & paste. In fact I find it flattering that you believe that as it boost my ego as a writer. I only watch movies I am interested. Nobody pays me to watch all movies to do reviews. You and the rest of the LGBTQ community might call 'Brokeback Mountain" a great film, but I am not watching shit like that because it doesn't interest me. Like I have mentioned in the past: I have forgotten more movies that I watched than all the ones you will ever watch in your lifetime, so don't lecture me...amateur!

29. Destruction and Mayhem

word

30. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]