Kong is King at the box office

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Kong: Skull Island opened to better numbers than expected with $61 million domestically. While that sounds great, the fact that this film has a $187 million budget puts the new box office King in a hard spot as it needs to now perform better at the international market in order to make a profit. If it doesn't make at least $500 million worldwide it will not recoup its investment and will make the projected Godzilla vs Kong monster mash planned project less certain. On the other hand the film got mostly positive reviews and the fact that last week's residual films did so well might explain why Kong didn't did better. Next week will determine how mighty this gorilla is, but with Disney's overly hyped long awaited 'Beauty and the Beast' live action remake opening this Friday that doesn't sound very optimistic for our big guy.

[​IMG]
    In its second week, FOX Logan had a 58% drop with $37.8 million putting its domestic cume at $152.6 million. So far the last Hugh Jackman entry as the popular X-Man has out grossed "The Wolverine" and 'X-Men: First Class'. By tomorrow will out gross the domestic numbers for 'X-Men: Apocalypse'. However, the film might not reach the numbers of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past', but that film opened in a summer.

Get Out keeps going and going like an Energizer Bunny with losing much power: in its fourth week it still holds strong in the third spot with $21.6 million. Keep in mind that last week it took $26 million so it only had a small drop considering the competition. The horror critics darling has now grossed $111 million and in relation to budget ($4.5 million) is THE runaway box office blockbuster Sleeper of The Year.
    [​IMG]

Claiming the fourth spot is the Faith-based film The Shack which took $10.1 million for a 10 days total of $32 million. And in the fifth spot is The Lego Batman Movie which took $7.8 million.

Final numbers will be released on Monday afternoon.

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I went to see Kong yesterday and really liked it, way better than the peter Jackson version. My favourite bit was when they're first approaching the island through the clouds of a violent electrical storm and the camera's focused in close up on a bobble head richard Nixon doll jiggling on the dashboard of the helicopter as it struggles not to break apart. Then they come through the clouds into clear skies, sunshine and verdant greenery and its still the grinning richard Nixon doll jiggling his head for another 10 seconds. Excellent

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Isn't this movie like...where they've made King Kong superheroesque?

4. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Not as such but he's defacto protector of the tribe of humans that live there from huge lizards. The story's obviously nonsensical but there were some visuals and composition'a which I liked. I only went to see it because I loved the graphics of the poster campaign so much, tbh

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

:scratcher:
    You could've download the poster-graphics off the Internet, watched a VHS of 'My Name Is Joe' instead whilst drinking Special Brew with the savings...

6. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Aye mate

7. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I read a very disturbing review of the Kong film that made it sound like your typical CGI affair. Too much focus on visuals and action sequences, not enough on story and character development. Hope it's not true.

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Ya think? :lol:

9. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

It's 2017... 98% of movies focus too much on action and visuals. I can guarantee you this review is accurate.

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

And after watching it, I can guarantee you this movie isn´t very good....

11. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Ehhhhh, didn't do too much for me. I understand the visuals that Hut liked, which were kind of nifty and retro, but I saw this as not much more then 70s pin-up art disguised as a War movie. Hiddleston and Brie Larson looked like they stepped out of a Perfume ad and into a faux war film, the soldiers spit dialogue out of a Children's comic book about War movies.........and Sam Jackson...........was well...........Sam Jackson.

The only things saving this movie was Dr. Steve Brule, who easily stole every scene he was in, and the fact they didn't to the whole damsel in distress, Kong wants to fuck the tiny white lady (Fay Wray, Jessica Lange) thing with the Brie Larson character. I kind of liked that she had hardly any interaction with Kong at all.

As far as Giant Monster anti-hero movies go, the last Godzilla movie did it for me. This one, not so much.

6/10