Canelo-Munguia: Final predictions

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Fight week is here for this one. I'm gonna pass on ordering, but I'm opening the thread anyway.

The asking price is way too much considering the undercard is PATHETIC and considering Canelo-Munguia isn't even a great matchup imo.

I think Nelo will win a decision or late stoppage. Munguia will have his moments but his defense is too leaky.

The next PPV I order will be the great August 3 card.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Undercard isn't that bad! You want to see a shitty undercard, check out the upcoming Fury card.

3. Flo-Raiden

Flo-Raiden Undisputed Champion

Card is ok, although it’s good to see Stanionis and Figueroa back in action.

As for the main fight itself Canelo most likely wins this, unless he gets old overnight or severely underestimates Munguia to the point that he gets shocked. I don’t have high hopes for Munguia to win but I’ll be rooting for him to pull off the upset.

Xplosive likes this.
  4. Xplosive

Don't worry, I wasn't ordering that either.

I have nooooooooooooo interest in Usyk-Fury.

5. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    If only the undercard featured Rolando romero

6. Xplosive

I don't regret the last two cards I ordered. I feel I made the right call.

I guan-fuckin-tee you that Canelo-Munguia won't be as exciting as Tszyu-Fundora or Haney-Garcia

7. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Even if Canelo vs Munguia is Castillo v Corrales or Whitaker vs Ramirez....the outcome is already set...... Canelo by UD 116-112, 115--113, 119-109

Xplosive likes this.
  8. ButterbeansDad

ButterbeansDad Leap-Amateur

I think Canelo would be in danger of losing rounds if Munguia is still around in the 9th round because of Canelos shitty stamina. That's the one area where Munguia has him beat.

9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I know munguia has a good chin but you just know canelo is going to land every sneaky counter he throws.

10. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Why would you think so? Munguia is all action and unless he gets sparked early this should be exciting

Jesus of montreal likes this.
  11. Xplosive

I have a suspicion it's not gonna live up to its hype. Canelo isn't exactly an action fighter.

I could be wrong, of course! Not gonna pretend like I can't be.

Just a gut feeling it's gonna be a let down.

lb 4 lb likes this.
  12. Flo-Raiden

If the fight ends up being exciting it’s mainly because of Munguia who will be pushing the action while Canelo takes advantage with his counters. The only way this fight becomes a letdown is if Munguia starts to be more hesitant and gets into a shell that turns him into another punching bag for Canelo.

We better hope that Munguia surprises everyone and maked this fight more interesting.

Xplosive likes this.
  13. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Canelo and Oscar had to be pulled apart lol.

Lame shit.

14. Flo-Raiden

Damn Oscar really pissed off Canelo here. I think Canelo’s gonna want to KO Munguía because of Oscar. Might be seeing an aggressive Canelo against Munguía after all

15. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Ryan Garcia rubbing off on DLH

16. ButterbeansDad

Munguia is 6'0 and looked huge against Derevyanchenko. Canelo is 5'8 but built like a tank. The big question for me is the tactics of Munguia. Anyone see him going into "payday" mode and fighting very conservatively? It's Cinco de Mayo but that payday makes fighters fight differently VS Canelo. I really see him getting KOd by Canelo here because he's throwing multiple punches and will get timed and caught. He's also in love with his left hook which will again be timed and he will get caught when Canelo sets up a left hook exchange and lands first. Munguia is going to be able to absorb some shots and get through a crisis or two so does Canelo have the gas to stay on him.

17. ButterbeansDad

Nobody really forced Canelo into backfoot boxing since GGG 1. For "payday" reasons and also because Canelo is a natural counter puncher. I could see Munguia getting done in three rounds here if he's fighting his usual fight. But again I say the annoying factor of "payday".

18. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Canelo is going to be near 190 lbs by fight night....Munguia is a banger but he can't outbang Canelo....so...

Canelo by KO 8

19. Xplosive

Much as I don't like Oscar, in his prime he'd have fucked Canelo up at 154.

puerto rock likes this.
  20. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I actually don't think it will be all to exciting of a fight. Canelo is excellent at lowering his opponents' output, and Munguia just doesn't seem like the type of fighter to figure out how to make volume work effectively against him.

21. Xplosive

Yeah, if the undercard was loaded, I'd have considered it, but with a weak undercard? Nah. Like you said, this really isn't that great of a matchup. Canelo figures to be far too good for Munguia's limited self. Not worth the money imo.

I'm willing to order Davis-Martin, because although I don't care for Tank, objectively Davis-Martin is a better, more compelling natchup.

22. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    In ten years the Delahoya Alvarez saga will be documented on an espn 30 for 30: Fishnets & Freckles

Xplosive likes this.
  23. Xplosive

I gotta give it to the cokehead, he looked ready to throw down with Nelo up on that stage when Canelo got up. I think Nelo probably expected Oscar to call for security or something, but Oscar's eyes and body language said "let's go."

Canelo can punk some never-was like Plant or Billy Joe, but Oscar has the self-belief of a former elite fighter that never really goes away.

George Crowcroft and puerto rock like this.
  24. ButterbeansDad

I see a cagey fight. Munguia not being as aggressive as usual and Canelo pacing himself but landing some big shots here and there. Should get Munguia going a few times but Munguia showed (and learned) he can survive against Derevyanchenko but he was badly hurt all the same. Derevyanchenko is a guy with five losses who should probably have no losses. On the other hand I could see Munguia just getting blasted and it doesn't even have to be a counter.

25. ButterbeansDad

[​IMG]

Man looked high as a kite at times.

Not sure how a guy with those fishnet pics out there can put himself in the firing line but it's Oscar.

26. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

What stupid thing to say. Oscar's prime was at 147. At 154 he struggled with Sturm and Vargas. His best wins took place at 147. Canelo is better than Castillejo at 154 and Oscar couldn't even stop him. I get it you hate Canelo but you're talking out of your ass.

My take on Saturday.

1)Canelo hasn't had a stoppage in 3 years. Something to think about.

2)Munguia and Roach looked great vs Ryder. Munguia seems like an improved fighter with Freddie in his corner.

3)Munguia throws a lot of punches. If there was ever a live under dog it might be Munguia. I can see him overwhelming Canelo with volume punching due to Nelo fading in later rounds. I still think Canelo wins but would not be shocked if he beat Canelo.

27. Xplosive

Called my statement stupid - and in the SAME sentence claimed that Oscar fought Sturm at 154...

The Mexican Boxing Oracle has struck again.

28. Xplosive

But yeah, Oscar would have soundly beaten Canelo at 154. Canelo wouldn't get past his jab, and the combination of Oscar's hook plus his handspeed would be enough to keep Canelo in a shell, much like he was put in by Floyd. Canelo's not the type of guy to sell out and go Hell bent in the ring.

29. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I’d take Oscar prime for prime, mostly due to the jab and hand speed. I don’t think Canelo has that Vargas like mindset to fight offensively aggressive for as long as he can. He’d fight in spurts and I don’t think it would be enough on the cards.

That said, look how fake of an asshole Oscar is. He covered for Canelo during the PEDs thing when he was with Golden Boy, and now that he isn’t there he throws him under the bus.

30. ButterbeansDad

1) I don't think that is a big issue when you look at the styles implemented by the opponents. We might have to go all the way back to GGG1 to see a fight where someone puts it on Canelo and fights aggressively as Munguia COULD do.

Charlo - ran like a bitch, goes down as one of the biggest pussies in boxing history.

Ryder - very negative tactics generally waiting for Canelo to lead and firing back then showing decent rolling/slipping defence. Had success last 3 rounds when Canelo was gassed

GGG 3 - GGG took the backfoot, Canelo stalked. Pretty much an unknockoutable guy.

Bivol - Bivol ran all night, negative tactics.

Plant - Ran all night. Eventually got hunted down.

BJS - Ran all night. Eventually got hunted down.

Avni Yildirim - Avni Yildirim

Kovalev - Ran all night. Eventually got hunted down.

Jacobs - Negative tactics all night.

Rocky Fielding - Rocky Fielding

GGG 2 - Canelo took center of the ring and front foot, GGG circles and jabbed.

2). Agreed. Combos got to Ryder, bad style matchup for Ryder. Munguia did look improved.

3). Munguias output will be a problem (not ever in KOing Canelo but in Canelo losing rounds) from around the ninth round onwards. While Canelo is fresh, that output is going to give him plenty of countering opportunities. Munguia was very clearly hurt by Derevyanchenko but Chenko is pretty legit and probably should be unbeaten so it was a decent performance by Munguia.

I think there is a reason why even GGG didn't want to stand and throw down with Canelo and gave up ground in the fight. I have to go with common sense which is screaming "EARLY KO FOR CANELO!" in this fight. Watching Munguia vs Chenko I thought Munguia was getting stopped in r1. He was on skates. All over the place a few more times in the fight also.