The mainstream overrating of Ryan has begun

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Casuals went from calling him a social media fighter to overnight overrating the living fuck outta him. Here's what I've seen stated on social since April 20:

1. Ryan can be just as good as Oscar.

2. Ryan would have KO'd Tim Bradley.

3. Ryan would smoke Teofimo.

4. Ryan can beat Spence.

Bleeding Christ. I really really wish we could see Boots vs Ryan so the casuals can have a rude awakening. I know Fast Eddie would love to make that fight, but Oscar and Ryan's daddy would never let it happen.

Jesus of montreal likes this.
  2. Xplosive

BTW - Teo called out Ryan and is willing to meet him at a catchweight. With all the pre-fight trash talk, that fight would do well on PPV. Tank isn't moving up, so you figure that Teo vs Ryan might be a possibility.

3. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Ioakeim Tzortzakis Scrub

Yeah, that's what social media does and will always keep on doing. Lomachenko was the most skilled fighter ever for a while, Wilder was the best puncher ever, Fury was a larger Ali, Tank would KO Duran, Mayweather is TBE, Ngannou would beat every Heavyweight in the world etc. People just don't know Boxing, whether it's about its current landscape or its history, especially the latter because holy shit. Boxing illiteracy is probably the biggest form of illiteracy in sports, to an actually maddening proportion. The only things most of the new generation has heard about Boxing (knowing is too strong of a word) is Ali, Tyson, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo, Fury, Joshua, Garcia, Tank and Lomachenko.

Was watching some Lennox Lewis highlights during recess in College about a week ago, and a guy notices it and comes over to take a look, only to be disappointed because it wasn't Mike Tyson before walking away. I asked him whether or not he was into Boxing, and he said that he actually followed the sport kinda closely. I asked him who his favourite fighters were. In terms of Heavyweights, he claimed it was Mike Tyson, then I asked him who his favourite was regardless of weight division. He was hesitant for a bit, and he was doing the finger snap in his attempt to remember his favourite ever Lightweight's name, and he said ''you know, the guy who won that fight about a week ago, uuuhmmmm, Ryan Garcia I think it was''. I said ''that's nice, my favourite Heavyweight is Joe Louis and my favourite Lightweight is Roberto Duran", and he just gave me a thumbs uplol

puerto rock and Xplosive like this.
  4. Flo-Raiden

Flo-Raiden Undisputed Champion

That always happens when something recent happens, people will overreact on a win. I did notice that they seem quiet when Boots’ name gets brought up. They know their limits.

Ryan vs Teo would be great though. That’s the next big fight that should happen, especially with the trash talk and social media buzz.

puerto rock likes this.
  5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I say, good for them. Hype is good for the sport. What I hate is when fighters manage to generate hype by beating shitty comp because then it perpetuates the status quo and us true fans are denied the matchups we actually care about. But if the hype is in response to a good matchup, like Ryan vs. Haney, bring it on! It means there will likely be more of them. And as fans, that's all we can really ask for.

6. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

True, we can hate on Ryan as mush as we want, but we have to give him credit for his willingness to fight the best

Wiser 1878 likes this.
  7. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Typical of the Instagram social media influencer obsessed era of Gen Z. I saw this a mile away.

Anyway, Ryan is better than I thought but still too flawed to be a great fighter.

8. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

1, 3,4 I have seen on Twitter more than once…..I fucking hate people.

For the next 12-24 months gotta hear the same shit….maybe Ryan is stupid enough to jump in vs Teo or Matias….

9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

You guys overrate Teo. His chin is definitely crumbly.

Boxingfan25 likes this.
  10. Xplosive

Check my history on Teo. I'm as critical on him as anyone on the forum.

However, a fully focused Teo will beat the fuck outta Ryan.

puerto rock likes this.
  11. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yeah i wouldn't count Garcia out but i would certainly go with Lopez. I think he's the kind of guy that fights to level of his opposition. Not that Ryan is all that but Fimo won't look past him.

Garcia would need to land something big early to have Lopez question himself.

George Crowcroft and Xplosive like this.
  12. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

News flash nobody knows or gives a fuck about boot ennis outside of hardcore boxing fans and maybe people in his hometown. Ryan would have no reason to fight Ennis. High risk low reward(not a marquee name in boxing or a ppv draw). Never gonna happen.

13. ButterbeansDad

ButterbeansDad Leap-Amateur

Agreed. Although Ennis is about to get a hype boost from the Eddie Hearn hype machine. I'm not sold on the guy yet though.

14. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

True, I'm high on Ennis but as you said, he s a nobody and no way Garcia fights him soon

15. Xplosive

Jesus Christ. Can you guys not read? I clearly said I WISH we could see Garcia-Ennis... so we could see Ryan bodied. No shit it's not gonna happen. I said as much.

BF simply throws on his cape anytime something negative is said about his eses.

Azazel likes this.
  16. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Ennis should get arrested for domestic violence. His popularity would probably increase. :D

George Crowcroft likes this.
  17. Xplosive

Sad but true.