Michael Nunn - Tommy Hearns @middle

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Ugotabe Kidding, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  2. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

This fight could potentially end in a KO for either guy, or a points win. I could see it going all four different ways.

Nunn was a tall southpaw and at his best was more durable than Hearns at 160. I'd give him a slight edge.

3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Even though Nunn was a better fighter at 160 than was Tommy, due to styles I'd pick Hearns. Its just very hard to outbox Tommy, and after tasting Hearns' power, Nunn I think would go into survival mode, similar to the way Benitez did against Hearns. Tommy by UD.

4. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Isn't that the case with most fights? :lol: :stir:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Haha, no not really. There are a lot of fights that you know could end in KO either way, like Jackson-Benn or 100% likely to go to the cards such as Benitez-Whitaker.

This is one where either guy could quite probably get stopped or be decisioned.

6. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I like Nunn here. He didn't fade nearly as bad over the final rounds as Tommy did and against common opponents, Nunn looked a hell of a lot better.

Nunn close but clear UD or KO sometime after round 7.

7. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Did Hearns do anything but get knocked out at 160?

Seriously did Hearns ever beat a quality fighter at MW? Roldan, Medal???

MW was not a good spot for Hearns.. I think Nunn handles him easily.

8. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

No!

Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd Mayweather jnr would go the distance 100 times out of 100 fights.

Earnie Shavers vs George Foreman would end in KO 100 times out of 100 fights.

Whiskey was quite correct in pointing out that this is one of the few fights than all 4 scenarios are equally viable.

I pick Hearns by perilously close decision, but stylewise Nunn could be his most difficult fight.

9. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Nunn has the tools to challenge Hearns, but hops and stays on his bicycle after tasting Hearns' right hand. Nunn is not the kind of fighter to try to walk Hearns down and take his best shots and if you're not willing (and capable of doing so) to take some to get some in against Hearns...you're not going to beat him.

Hearns W12 Nunn

10. ghoster

ghoster Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    Hearns by KO. First we are takjing about two different classes of fighters here. Second, Hearns admitedly(Steward) had trouble with strong agressive fighters, Nunn was not even close to that. Nunn did however hate the slick boxer label. This made him walk in and take unnecessary punches.
    Who did Hearns beat ay 160? James Shuler the top middleweight in the world below Hagler. Duran, yes it was at 154, but Duran had just gone the distance in a close fight with Hagler at 160. And at 175 he won the title by beating Andres and again by beating Hill. Ask Steve Little who would win:rolleyes:

11. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

Nunn. Sadly, Nunn was nearly as talented as Hearns was, but didn't have the marketing Hearns did. 160 was Nunn's best weight. He was a big motherfucker, and he was tough.