How's Jeremy Williams doing in MMA?

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by holler, Apr 13, 2007.

1. holler

holler WBC Champion

Jeremy has always had world class boxing skills, but didn't have the chin or the stamina to ever make it on the elite level in the pro boxing game - he was the proverbial "glass cannon." He was always exciting to watch cause typically, it was either him or the other guy that was getting KTFO.

I remember reading that he has since made the switch to MMA after the disaster that was the Sam Peter fight. I can't imagine any other fighter in MMA could hang with him if they elect to stand up. (I also remember hearing that he had some wrestling background as well)

I caught a video of one of his recent fights against a journeyman and he submitted him via strikes (the guy tapped out during a ground and pound, although Jeremy apparently broke his arm in the process? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qANUBXVewXU; heres the video and read the comments about the broken arm part)

So how's Jeremy doing? According to some MMA site he is now 3-0. Do you think he has a future in MMA or perhaps a chance to make it on the elite level?

2. winner by choke

winner by choke Undisputed Champion

has not won by knockout yet, and has won pretty much all his fights on the basis of him just being a much better athlete...

he's still getting used to it though.

he reverts to his instincts when he gets in there and that is to take it to the ground which in his case I do not think is a very good idea...

he is a good match-up for the champion, Chuck Liddell if you ask me. but most B-level fighters will be able to beat him IMO.

3. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

He would get violated by Chuck.

4. holler

holler WBC Champion

How so? I'll admit that I'm an MMA newbie, but I saw Chuck eat stiff jabs and amatuerish looping overhand rights from Rampage all night in a fight in which the majority of it was fought standing up. Williams is faster, more skilled, more accurate, and punches harder than Rampage standing up.

5. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Rampage Jackson hired Jeremy Williams to help him on his boxing in preparation for his upcoming rematch with Chuck.

6. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Indeed, standing up, Liddell get crush, it's incredible how some people overate MMA fighters.

7. MAXWELL

MAXWELL Leap-Amateur

Maybe if they fight standing up then williams can win that fight, but i heard chuck did wrestling in high school so maybe he'll try to put wiliams on the ground. Look at nishijima<?> i never saw his fight with mark hunt but saw his fight with cyborg and baroni. both those guys loves fighting standing up, but against a former pro fighter they took it on the ground the 1st opportunity they had. In the cased of baroni he took it on the ground after the fight started <and baroni is a guy who loves to whine about people not standing up with him> just shows the amount of respect mma guys had on former boxing pros.

8. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

It's incredible how some people think stand up fighting with MMA gloves is the same as standup fighting with boxing gloves.

Liddell would dominate Jeremy Williams standing up or on the ground.

TFK

9. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I disagree, I feel it's basically the same. Liddel would get koed by Willaims standing up. Chuck would win IMO but in atypial fashion, probably by g&p

10. holler

holler WBC Champion

Yeah you're right. Williams would have even faster handspeed and hit even harder.

11. suiteness

suiteness Leap-Amateur

Liddell would just feel it out standing and if he started getting cracked he'd take it to the ground. Williams is chinless, so it is certainly possible that Liddell catches him.

12. Hanzy

Taking it to the ground isn't as easy as you think. If a fighter has some knowledge of grappling, he can block a takedown. I don't think Chuck just taking Williams down is automatic. Chuck does his work on the feet, he's very rarely shown any work on the ground. The fight would end standing, depending on who got hit first with a big shot. Williams comes from a Judo background so the ground is nothing new. He does have to polish up though.

13. suiteness

suiteness Leap-Amateur

Chuck showed against Overeem that he'll take you down if you hurt him. I'm assuming, given his background, that his takedown ability is solid. I know Williams has done some judo, but we don't know how good he is. It's pretty easy to earn a blackbelt. I've only seen his first fight, so I don't know what to think about him. He's staying busy and will probably step it up next year.

14. Hanzy

Yeah, but Overeem is relatively garbage on the ground. He didn't have any real ground game back then. He's a bit better now on the ground but still very limited. Chuck stays away from the ground when he's in there with a wrestler. So he tends to stay on his feet against a wrestler although he couldn't do sh*t when he fought a wrestler/striker in Rampage Jackson. Jackson tore him apart both on the feet and on the ground.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens in their rematch set for next month at UFC 71. From what I've gathered, Dana White is hoping his boy Chuck beats Jackson before Jackson gets comfortable in the octagon. That's why Dana is rushing this fight instead of letting Jackson get some tune ups to prepare. Even Jackson himself said he needed a few tune ups to get ready but Dana White is having none of it.
    Best chance for Chuck is now while Jackson is still unsure of himself. But the considerable difference today is that Jackson is 28 while Chuck is 38. So Chuck is fighting father time AND he's fighting Jackson. Plus Jackson has lost a few since the 1st Chuck meeting while Chuck's been undefeated.

15. Hanzy

Chuck didn't really manage to keep it down on the ground. Overeem powered him off and made it into a striking match and Overeem was actually getting the better of the blows until he started sucking wind. Chuck was the smarter fighter. He backed off, used the ring, waited for the opening, and landed his usual hail mary right hand on the mark. Good punch. It didn't straight up KO Overeem but it set him up for a series of punches leading to a KO.:clap:

16. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Stand up doesn't just consist of punching. Chuck is a kickboxer. He'd kick the shit out of Williams legs. These guys aren't stupid. Chuck isn't going to go out there and just stand in front of the guy and trade. He's going to do whatever he feels make the fight easier for him.

17. Hanzy

Botha trained for K1 and dealt with much of the leg kicks. Heck he was getting plastered by leg kicks from Jerome LeBanner. You know what's funny though about that? Botha walked through ALL of LeBanner's kicks, and with 1 right hand, he had LeBanner on queer street. By boxing standards, Botha is a C class fighter with little punching power, speed, and skill.
    I wouldn't give Chuck that big of an edge against a top class boxer who could learn the K1 ropes the way Botha has done. Botha actually has lost many K1 fights mostly through decision, even against the heralded Remy Bojansky.

18. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

you're a clown, when was the last time Liddell kicked the shit out of someone?? Babalu 1. Even when he was getting the shit punched out of him by rampage, he never resorted to leg kicking, even tought that was the strategy he intended to do.

Lidell is the living proof that a boxer with basic ground technique would do good in mma.

He's basically a poor boxer with an amazing sprawl.

19. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. I love how hater say that a kickboxer would destroy a boxer cause of leg kick. Well it has happened a few times in K1, it's far from the norm. And in mma, you have to rebember that the gloves are only 4 oz, wich is an advantage for the boxer over the kickboxer.
    That's the reason imo why Hunt beat crocop in MMA while he gor beaten up in K1