Floyd Mayweather vs. Sean Sherk

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by TFK, Apr 19, 2007.

1. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

It ain't ever gonna happen, but an interesting article anyway, and some good press for UFC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=ApXdHVQpYMMz9_HLW.ZDbv05nYcB?slug=dw-mayweather041807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Again, this is nothing more then Mayweather trying to sell his PPV to UFC fans, but there's no question that if this fight did happen in the octogon, Mayweather would get destroyed, and pretty easily.

TFK

2. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

All about styles. Sherk would obviously beat Floyd if he got him to the ground before getting koed. What about some of these stand up champs though? Chuck Lidell for example. A boxer could come straight into MMA and be champion at 205 if they fought him. Different sports though so who cares.

3. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

He'd use low-kicks and push kicks,..then he'd take the boxer down. Trading hands with an elite boxer, is a gameplan equivalent to John Ruiz's strategy of trying to outpoint Roy Jones Junior.

4. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Unless a MMA fighter is stupid enough to fight on the feet with Floyd they beat him easy.

Anyways there is no way Floyd would fight in MMA. Like Floyd said Why would I go into a sport paying hundreds of thousands when I'm in a sport paying $20 million?"

5. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Once again, people overatte MMA fighters like they're some kind of superhuman. Fact is, many kickboxer went straight up to MMA, and with few basics ground training, have done very well for themselves. I've never seen Sherk, so I can't predict the outcome, but, unless he's a freak of nature, I'd pick PBF if he gets 3 months of intense ground training (providing he's got some talent for it too )

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. Azazel

Shit, Butterbean a serious fringe contender in MMA, but you guy's are telling me that Floyd would get destroyed by any MMA fighters :doh:

7. suiteness

suiteness Leap-Amateur

WTF are you talking about? Bean is not a contender in any form, he's been tapped by fucking midgets and supposedly his knockout of Thompson wasn't legit. He didn't even get hit, just tripped and they immediately stopped the fight.
    As for Floyd, he definitely wouldn't get whooped by everyone, but anyone worth their salt would get him do the ground and molest him. Especially a stud wrestler like Sherk.

I just watched the Thompson fight and I can't tell if the punch that dropped him landed, but it was a bad stoppage. Good win for the Bean, but if either of these guys are contenders, I guess Rob Broughton should be facing Fedor soon, since he's beat them both.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  8. Azazel

Fedor should rather face Broughton instead of takingLindland or Zulu ( another fighter the Bean defeated ), and Thompson is a top 20 heavy, no doubt about it, especially he was coming in with an upset of Yoshida, and the Bean just koed him (and i agree it was early, but he did tagged him and wobbled him )

9. Dollar-Fifty78

Dollar-Fifty78 Leap-Amateur

No you are overrating boxers like they are superhuman. Sherk would have Mayweather tapping like a bitch in under two minutes as would most top notch 155lb MMA fighters.

Like Dana White said they could offer Mayweather $8-$10 million and he still wouldn't step into the octagon because he knows he'd get his head ripped off.
    Mayweather does not have one punch knock out power so he can cancel knocking out Sherk before he hits the mat and when that happens thats all she wrote.

10. suiteness

suiteness Leap-Amateur

I just don't think its fair to put down the talent level of mma fighters in general because a guy like Butterbean has had a little success in a shallow division. The Top 5 guys at Heavyweight are very good, but it really drops off from there. Lightweight and Welterweight are loaded with great guys.

11. Azazel

How so, by saying PBF, one of the greatest current fighters, would be hard to beat in MMA with basic ground training ??? It's not like I'm arguing that Spadafora would clean the house.

12. valdosta

Home Page:
    Lidell would kick for sure. Since when does he take ANYBODY down though?

13. Dollar-Fifty78

Dollar-Fifty78 Leap-Amateur

We'll see how great he is come May 5th when he's picking himself up off the canvas.:warning:

14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

The 1st Time Floyd HIT this BUM w/an Overhand Right,the Fights OVER...

& Floyd ISN'T even a Puncher by "Boxing" Standards,but Let him Wear those BARELY Padded Handwraps like MMA Cats Wear...

There's a REASON why Chuck Lidell has DOMINATED this Particular Sport w/PUNCHING Skills...

REED:cool:

15. valdosta

Home Page:
    It's not quite that simple on Lidell. The guy also had a wrestling background so he's hard to take down and he can kick and knee pretty well. That being said I think a boxer could beat Lidell because he's just stand up. Sean Sherk on the other hand is a little different because he actually uses his wrestling skills and is good on the ground. Once he got a boxer down, the fight is over. In a MMA fight I would make Sherk a pretty big favorite over Mayweather.

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

WHEN (Not IF,but WHEN) Floyd HITS that Motherfucker FLUSH,w/those LITTLE Ass Gloves On,WHAT's Gonna Happen,VAL???...

REED's Prediction???...

TiiiiiiiiiimmmBerrrrrrrrr!!!!....

Shrek FALLS like a TREE & Gets the Green Coloring Knocked OFF of him...

REED:cool:

17. valdosta

Home Page:

Not sure that Floyd could hit Sherk before he gets taken down. A wrestler can be a hard guy to hit before they take you down. It's not complicated though. If Floyd hits Sherk with a hard shot before Sherk takes him down he would win. However, this isn't boxing. If Sherk can grab any part of Floyd's body he is going to the ground and from there Floyd never gets back to his feet.

18. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

U Honestly Don't Think Floyd has the MOBILITY & ATHLETICISM to AVOID the Rushes of a Wrestler,w/the Proper TRAINING???...

REED:dunno:

19. valdosta

Home Page:

Not that it matters to be honest. I consider boxing the superior sport. MMA can't even pay the top guys right. No top boxer would have any reason to ever lower thereselves to step into the octagon.

20. valdosta

Home Page:
    If Floyd had a wrestling background my prediction would be different. A guy like Sherk though has been a MMA fighter for years and years. How long would it take a guy like Floyd to learn what he would need to learn? MMA guys have inferior stand up but it still takes a lot of time to try to become well rounded.

21. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Sherk taps Floyd real quick.

22. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Michael Jordan trained to be a baseball player, and we all saw how that worked out.

To think Sherk, Liddell, or any MMA fighter would stand there and let Mayweather hit him is ridiculous. One kick, or one shoot to the legs and Floyd would be so off balance he wouldn't know what to do. He'd never get a chance to throw a punch. Plus, without big boxing gloves to defend with, he'd be leaving himself wide open.

To be honest, Floyd vs any MMA fighter would probably be a lot like Ray Mercer vs Remy Bojansky when they fought K-1, even though in that fight Mercer didn't have to defend takedowns and was wearing boxing gloves. Regardless, he ate the first kick thrown and was done seconds into the fight.

TFK

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  23. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Liddell's wrestling is actually very bush-league in comparison to Randy Couture. Their first fight saw Randy throw him around the octagon. The 2nd and 3rd fights saw Liddell KO Randy as Randy tried to shoot in. But in terms of wrestling, Couture is worlds ahead of Liddell. If it was a pure wrestling match, Liddell would be murdered. But this is MMA of course, which means if you're only good at one style, you're not going to get that far in this sport. You need to have a combination of skills to amount to anything and we're seeing that today.
    Best 2 styles to learn for MMA are, from what I've constantly heard are wrestling and boxing. One without the other can't cut it unless you're something special like a CroCop who has very minimal grappling skills but has excellent takedown defense and devastating striking. Fedor is pretty much a master in every style. Deadly standup striking, ridiculous ground and pound, sick submissions, great takedowns, and insane cardio. That's why he's hailed as possibly the best fighter the sport has seen to date.

24. Hanzy

The last time I saw Chuck Liddell use his division I wrestling skills was against Alistair Overeem in the 1st round of the MW Grand Prix in Pride 2003. Overeem had a good muay thai skillset and he caught Liddell with a few, rocking him. Chuck didn't want to play the outside striking game so he shot in and used some of his wrestling to try to wear Overeem out on the ground. But Overeem got him off and they went at it a bit. Liddell was getting hurt from alot of Overeem's shots on the feet. Overeem as usual proved his cardio is garbage and as he got tired, Liddell landed a big wild overhand right in his forehead and then finished Overeem off with a blizzard.
    Liddell's wrestling has been minimal since then. He's finished opponents off with alot of striking, but at the same time using distance by dancing on his backfoot and waiting for them to come in.

25. Azazel

What about Marc Hunt or Cro cop, how could they overcame the magical cross trainers and catch them with their striking???? And the Bojansky example is terrible considering some thought a wash up Botha edge him in one of their fight.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  26. Azazel

How, I agree that ODLH should win, Floyd hasn't impress me at WW and at JRMD I expect him to be too small.

27. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Floyd's afraid to mix it up in a boxing ring. Do you really think he'd be comfortable in an MMA fight?

And by the way, when's the last time Floyd stopped someone with a single shot? It was definitely well south of a 155 pounds.

28. Hanzy

Francois Botha moved to K1 after his pro boxing career went to sh*t and did relatively well for himself. He took a decision win against Jerome LeBanner, but lost mainly to the majority of them although mostly by decisions. He lost a 3 round decision to Remy Bojansky.
    Funny thing is, Botha never threw a single kick, everything he did in K1 was just with his boxing and you'd imagine he would've gotten KO'd more often than he did. He ate alot of kicks from Lebanner and walked through most of them and it was LeBanner who ended up getting badly hurt from a single Botha right hand. Ultimately, LeBanner quit in his corner.
    Take a quality boxer, not a 45 year old man in Mercer, give him some serious MMA training(or training for K1), and he'll probably show a few things. Perhaps moreso than you'd imagine.

29. Matchup_Analyzer

Matchup_Analyzer Keyboard Warrior

If Floyd Bedwetter hurts his hands with gloves on, he's gonna break a hand hitting someone without them, though he could score some KO's that way too, but I think the kid would score some nice clean one punch ktfo's before he gets his ass kicked

30. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Spoken like a guy who doesn't watch MMA. Difference between Chuck and any top boxer is Chuck has one of the best take down defenses in the game. To be successful standing, you have to be able to stay on your feet. Floyd would get taken down instantly by Sherk. If you have not seen Sherk fight, you should check it out. The guy is a tank.