How about Cotto vs. Margarito?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by The Cuban Hawk, Jun 11, 2007.

1. The Cuban Hawk

The Cuban Hawk WBC Champion

Home Page:
    This is the fight I really want to see (assuming Margarito gets by Paul Williams of course). Cotto seems to be more polished and technically superior, but his chin will always be a huge question mark and Margarito may be the hardest puncher he has yet faced. On one hand, I can see Cotto outboxing/outclassing Margarito, but there's always a good chance Margarito can tap Cotto's chin and Cotto won't recover from it this time.

Thoughts?

2. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

If Margarito can get by Williams this is THE fight at welterweight. We all know Floyd isn't fighting either of these guys. The reward does not match the risk.

3. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Margarito wont stop throwing goodies:crafty: , and if he hurts Cotto, and Miguel takes 2 minutes wobbling around the ring trying to recover, that's an awful lot of time for a great finisher like Margarito to really do some serious damage, punching up and down through his guard the way he will, with no such a thing as Margarito punching himself out.:crafty: ,..I'd like to think that Margarito would knock Cotto unconcious, but realistically, he'll probably just buzz his nervous system every round, I'd have to pick Cotto's heart, will, and resilience to carry him the distance, but he'll never recover from this brutal loss.

4. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    :rolleyes:

5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

this is the fight i want to see too. and if i had to make a pick right now, it'd be margarito.

6. Eaner v2.0

Eaner v2.0 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    from what I gather this is the fight that will happen in November when Margarito gets past Williams as both guys agreed in prinicple to the terms. Should be at MSG as Margarito stated he will fight Cotto wherever they want him to and Arum liked the atmosphere the Garden had over the weekend

Camp has been going really well. They slowed it down last week after three weeks of heavy sparring. Two guys have left one due to injury and the other because we got better guys coming in this week. One a prospect out of NM and the other one of Marshall Kauffman's kids. Rodney Jones is spending his last week at camp this week and then we bring in Sergio Martinez next week

7. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Cotto will kill Margarito...Styles mismatch

8. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

9. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    we'll see how well Margarito does against an elite fighter. so far he's done a hell of a job beating down B level opposition. i still think he wins, but it's another pick'em fight.

margarito would've beaten down judah in a similar fashion if not easier.

10. KaukipRrr

:crafty: How the tides have turned!!, these days he uses Rodney Jones as a mere sparring partner!!!!, were the sessions competitive Eaner?, or did Margarito make him feel the difference?..:crafty:

11. KaukipRrr

Well Joon, people seemed to oddly embrace and celebrate the fact that Margarito had to choose Paul Williams due to disputes between his promoter and management, and I think Cintron and Clottey are probably better opponents than Cotto has ever faced in his career to date, :nono: so i don't know about 'B-level' competition, especially in comparison to Cotto?..:nono:

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Yep...

Waaaaaaaaay Tooooooooo EASY to Hit...Looooooooooong Frame which Makes him Susceptible to Cotto's Punishing Bodyshots...& Cotto Would Actually have a SPEED Advantage N this Bout...

U have to B MORE than just Tough & Durable to Beat Miguel Cotto...& Besides All that,Cotto would B THE 1st Big Fight Margarito's EVER Had...HOW will he React to that Environment??...It's Easy to SAY it Won't Affect U,but 1nce U're THERE,it's Usually a Different Story...

Margarito will have his MOMENTS,but Ultimately Cotto STOPS him Late or Gets a UD...

REED:cool:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

There ya Go...

Get All MOIST btwn the Legs Over SPARRING...Lord Knows U DON'T have ANY Fights to Get Excited Over...

Clottey???...Santos???...Cintron???...Diaz???...

REED:lol:

14. joony

Home Page:
    Margarito's best wins:

Cintron - B level
    Clottey - B level
    Lewis - C+ (F level chin)
    Diaz - C+/B-

Cotto's best wins:

Paulie - C+ at the time
    Torres - C+
    N'Dou - C+/B-
    Judah - B+ (but on a losing streak)

Judah is better than Clottey or Cintron imo. Clottey is just tough, but I think Judah would've beaten him. Not sure about now tho.

15. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Cotto would win and BAD... I think Margarito would have his moments and all but he would really take a brutal beating.

Cotto via UD.

16. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The "1st big fight" theory in boxing is utter bullshit, it's been plausible in a very limited number of Big Fights, and the better fighter ended up winning most of the times. But yes, you're right, margarito's arm lenght will play into Cotto's hands, that way Cotto will demolish him on the inside game. Ripping hellacious body shots and crippling left hooks that will make margarito's legs melt like margarine under the hot sun.

17. joony

Home Page:
    you can laugh at margarito's opposition, but let's face it, the guy's been calling out big names for years and when he finally got a significant fight against Cintron (whom many picked to win), he blew him out with ease.

granted, cotto's better than cintron, but maragarito's reign's been solid and consistent throughout and have proven to be a world class fighter imo. i expect him to take care of business on the 14th and at worst, give cotto a hell of a fight if not win.

18. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Clottey doesn't belong on Margarito's best win list. He belongs on Margarito's worst wins list. :lol: Plus I would rank Clottey an A-/B+ fighter. He beat Chico and will be avoided by everyone else in the division like the plague, mark my words.

19. KaukipRrr

You will all be very, very very sorry,.....very very sorry indeed.

...very, very sorry..

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Clottey is better than Judah - far better.

Cotto/Clottey is pick-em if you ask me.

21. Double L

Double L Book Reader

anyone who claims Judah is better than Clottey is insane.

22. joony

Home Page:
    who's 'you'? I said in my posts that I like margarito to win. clottey is an A/B+ level fighter based on his win over a SHOT/winless Corrales?

23. KaukipRrr

Reed^, Lib four Lib^, Joon^, Fraud groupies^, the Puerto Ricans^, Latinking^......but that's ok, it's ok....

it's ok...

it's ok...

24. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    I would take Clottey to win against Zab and Cintron.

Cotto beats Margarito. It would be similar to the Margarito/Clottey fight but with Cotto just being better than Clottey. We all know how easy Clottey hit Margarito. Cotto would bust him up badly.

25. *Z*

Margarito will beat Cotto. He's the biggest, strongest guy cotto will have ever faced. If Cotto though Ricardo Torres hit hard, wait until he feels Margaritos punches.

26. *Z*

Clottey has a good chin, Cotto, not so much.

27. Eaner v2.0

Eaner v2.0 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    let's see

Andy Kolle- split his lip and required 8 stitches. Some of it do to the mouthpiece Andy rocked but a lot of from the over right Tony dropped on him. Had given Tony the best offensive look as Andy has gotten a lot better since his fight with Andre Ward.

Rodney Jones- he and I have become good friends and I asked him honestly if he has seen a difference in Tony and he said yes everything is much more in terms of strength, relentlessness, skillset, and even speed. Granted Tony was 19 when they fought but he said Tony is vastly improved and has the skill to beat Williams provided he stays with constant pressure and not all out brawling

ammy out of Minn- couldn't go full sparring rounds with Tony as body shots were taking their toll on him

Craig McEwan- guy helped Manfredo sparring against Calzaghe. Same as above the pressure Tony is putting on these guys is tough to handle

I disagree with the guy that says that it would be the same as the Clottey fight. Clottey's left hook comes at a faster rate and he doubles it far faster than Cotto. Cotto's is more damaging by a long shot but it is a bit more telegraphed.

also anyone really mentioning Clottey's hand issues it amazes me that he yet fights four months later and never mentions his hands being better or what exactly the injury was. Tony also had two injuries to deal with as well but never made mention of them until after it was done

28. joony

Home Page:
    guess you dont know how to read?

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Sorry,but REED Doesn't Give Credit for "Calling Out" People,ESPECIALLY When those Same "Big Names" have Managed to Face EACH OTHER...

Margarito should Blame his PROMOTER for his Shitty Resume,Instead of the "Big Names"...

30. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Margarito IS NOT a "Puncher"...WHERE is the Evidence of this???...

He DOESN'T Punch like Ricardo Torres...OR Zab,for that Matter...On a "10" Scale,Margarito's a "7" @ Best...