Welter-weight Rankings....

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Double L, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

What's your top 5 or top 10, as of now, at 147? Basically, if they all fought each other, who beats whom?

1. Margarito
    2. Mosley
    3. Clottey
    4. Cotto
    5. Cintron/Williams

I think Cotto/Clottey would be a savage fight. But I think it's one Clottey would win by close decision. And I think Cintron KO's Williams' leaky defense, and Cotto beats Cintron up, Margarito already beat Clottey , and I think he eeks out a decision against Williams.

Mosley/Clottey would be a scary fight too. Too close to call. I pick Mosley over Cotto though, because of his hand-speed and above average strength.

But man. This division is looking nice.

I don't know where to put Mosley though.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I cant believe Cintron is a belt holder.

3. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    1. Cotto
    2. Mosley
    3. Margarito
    4. Cintron
    5. Baldomir
    6. Williams
    7. Clottey
    8. Judah
    9. Collazo
    10. Quintana

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You think Mosely, Cintron, Baldomir, Williams beat Clottey? I got Clottey right below miguel. A rematch with CLottey and MArgarito will be a win for Clottey.

5. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    Yes, I do. Clottey has shown no reason to think he could beat a top flight fighter, IMO. Nice, semi-aggressive fighter. Short, crisp shots. Easy to hit. No stamina. Quits fighting and fouls.

Margairot handled Clottey with ease last time. If you chose to believe the hand excuse, so be it. But Clottey has never been anything more than a 5-6 round fighter. Hell, even Corrales had success against him at times.

But thats why rankings are individualised. There's no right answer.

6. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

A while ago I thought mosley was done, but after seeing the Vargas rematch and the collazo fight, no way. He looked almost as good as he ever has done at 147 in those fights.

I would be tempted to pick Mosley over Cotto.

For now though I would rank cotto #1.

1 - Cotto
    2 - Mosley
    3 - Margarito

No way cotto loses to clottey, or anyone else at welterweight other than mosley.

7. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I dont give those wins over Vargas any credability. Vargas was shot. Anyone would have looked against thim. I think Mosely still has some proving to do. I see Margarito beating him similar to the way Forrest did. Maybe in a more devastating fashion.

8. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    I don't give those Vargas wins any credibility in the context of this thread, because they weren't welterweight fights. The Collazo one was though and he looked as good as he has in years.

9. mexican wedding shirt

Vargas was shot, he looked shot in the second fight for sure, I agree. But still, if mosley had been shot too, he would not have wasted vargas like that, it would have been a more even fight :lol:

And I was impressed with the way he handled collazo too, he is no bum.

Forrest had the perfect style to neutralize mosley, anti mosley venom in his gloves as they say.

Margarito, no way. He is a basic pressure fighter, mosley is much better. And margarito is nothing like forrest, style wise.

I don't dislike margarito, he is quite fun to watch. I enjoyed his ass kicking of cintron, but to be honest I've always thought he was pretty overrated.

10. mexican wedding shirt

Exactly. Why do you think mosley appeared to be past it, then suddenly fought through the shot-ness, and is now looking pretty good? :lol:

11. Double L

Double L Book Reader

yeah. Clottey does fade now that you mention it. and Corrales wasn't exactly a proven quantity at 147. but Clottey's strong. and although he does go into lulls, he's good at getting the rest he needs. him against any of the guys at the top is gonna be a great fight whether he can beat em or not.

12. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    I wonder where Clottey's next fight will be at. I don't think he has much time left at 147 if any.

13. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I agree with your top two, and would move Cotto above Clottey. I think Williams is better than Cintron.

14. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Where is Mayweather? In his last 3 fights, he beat:

1) Former weltwerweight champion of the world
    2) Reigning, undisputed, true, linear welterweight champion of the world
    3) Former undisputed, true, linear welterweight champion of the world

Mayweather is by far the number one welterweight in the world, no one else even comes close.

15. Double L

Double L Book Reader

he's at 154. prolly no. 3 or 4.

16. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

:nono: Just like Whitaker's excursion to 154, it was one fight only and then back to ruling 147 with an iron fist. Mayweather is clearly the superior fighter at 147, due to his accomplishments.
    Think about it, in his two or three fights at 147, Mayweather already beaten the better quality of opponents, than, say, a guy like Margarito (who spent his entire career at welterweight) will ever see in the ring.

17. Mitchell Kane

Well, Margarito has Williams and Cotto lined up.

Who does Mayweather have next?

18. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

He has them lined up? Wow! Call me when he actually beats them,.
    Once again, think about it, Margarito, a career welterweight, has significant fights "lined up" (for the first time in his career), while Maywether ALREADY had more significant fights at 147, than Margarito has "lined up".
    As to what Mayweather does next? He can stay retired, but probably he'll take a tune-up against loser of Cotto-Margarito (Margarito), before destroying Cotto or Mosley.

19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

ok. but suppose Margarito beats Williams in July, and then Cotto in September. By that point, PBF will not have had another fight. What claim does he have then? Just hypothetically speaking?

20. Mitchell Kane

"Mayweather already beaten the better quality of opponents, than, say, a guy like Margarito will ever see in the ring."

So Baldomir and Judah are better than Williams and Cotto?

Cotto's the most highly regarded of the four, so I don't get your comment about who Margarito "will ever see in the ring"...which, btw, doesn't say anything about if he "beats them".

21. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Suppose by that time Mayweather kicks the shit out of Taylor, and dominates Calzaghe. What then? Just hypothetically speaking?

22. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

I like to live in the present. As of today, Margarito never fought a single fighter, on the level of Judah or Baldomir, and, of course, ODLH.
    And I suspect, that a cowardly pussy might well pull out of his fight(s), just like he attempted to avoid Williams in the past.
    "Who has Williams beaten? Why should I fight him?"--Antonio The Fag, speaking about Paul Williams, his alleged next opponent.

23. Double L

Double L Book Reader

then he couldn't be ranked at 147. and he'd certainly have no claim as the champion there.

i'm happy to leave PBF out of the 147 rankings. why aren't you? he's basically said none of them are worth his while, so how can you justify ranking him there?

24. Mitchell Kane

I'd put Clottey on Baldomir's level or above it. Probably the same with Santos.

25. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

1. Mayweather
    2. Cotto
    3. Margarito
    4. Mosley
    5. Baldomir

26. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that after beating Taylor and destroying Calzaghe, Floyd moves down to 147 and kicks the living hell out of whatever pretender claims to be "the champion" by that time there. What would you say then? Hypothetically speaking?

27. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

You would certainly do so. However, when these two met in the ring, Clottey couldn't handle Baldomir's pressure, broke down and fouled his way out. That certainly proves what level each fighter occupies.
    Of course, you can pretend that fight never happened and still place "Clottey on Baldomir's level or above it" :lol: :lol:

28. Double L

Double L Book Reader

you think Baldomir beats Williams and Cintron? Does Baldomir beat a guy like Mattyhse? He definitely loses a rematch to Clottey, no? And how the hell does Baldomir beat Collazo? You think he does?

29. Double L

Double L Book Reader

if he did that, then he'd be champ. but you and i both know he's not going to. do you see what i'm getting at though? theres no circumstance under which you would see PBF's accomplishments at 147 for what they are - minimal in the scheme of things. And if Margarito prevails, dwarfed to the max.

30. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Name me current fighter(s) at 147 who defeated:
    1) former undisputed, true, linear weltwerweight champion of the world (ODLH)
    2) reigning undisputed, true, linear weltwerweight champion of the world (Baldomir)
    3) former undisputed, true, linear weltwerweight champion of the world (Judah)

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007