Boxers/WWE stars

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by TKO, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

what do you guys think about someone like John Cena going at it in MMA or any WWE star for that matter, would any of them be contenders...

Likewise for boxers, who do you think would achieve the most

2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Brock Lesnar is on MMA now, he won his first fight. We have to see how he develops. He's super strong, very athletic, and have a great wrestling background. A very good foundation to make it far in the sport. I dunno about boxers, grappling is a whole another dimension...we still have to see

3. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

Yeh I heard about brock, I hope he does well, I agree with u about the boxers there are a lot of Variables in MMA for a boxer to deal with, some WWE stars “lookâ€￾ like they could tear up the UFC but that’s probably juice.

There is a new black guy in WWE, well new to me, this guy has a ridiculous upper body. He looks bigger than any of the guys from MMA, but again he is probably juiced up and someone like randy couture would more than likely have him for breakfast.

4. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

You're talking about Bobby Lashley. From what I've read, Lashley has a legit and extensive amateur wrestling background. If this is true, it's unlikely Couture will completely have him for breakfast. I'm assuming Lashley would learn the cage before he enters a fight with Couture. I'd still pick Couture to win though since he's been fighting MMA for many years. Lashley though has a very good base, good for MMA. He's young and strong, he seems like he could make the transition but he'd still need to learn.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  5. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

You have to train in MMA to be successful in it. John Cena has zero background in anything other than bodybuilding. He's useless. Bobby Lashley has a legit wrestling background. Lesnar, 2 time NCAA wrestling champion and already showing a lot of promise based on his first K1 fight. Kurt Angle, Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist, obviously right there is a tremendous credit. But being a good or great wrestler doesn't always guarantee success, they have to train in MMA. 5-6 years ago, it would've been easier. But today, fighters are becoming versed in all aspects of fighting. Although it's still difficult for a lot of them because trying to switch from wrestling to boxing during a fight is very difficult.
    Matt Hughes is an accomplished wrestler, but when his takedowns were stuffed and he was forced to stand with GSP, his boxing was mediocre at best and he got hit from every angle and eventually KTFO.
    I guess often it depends on the individual, a case by case basis.