Joe Rogan's opinion on fans booing at UFC events

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Hanzy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Hilarious!! :laughing: Check it out, from his MySpace:

“You see, I hate all these fans who boo the events. This past weekend, Sacramento was by far the worst display of this action I had ever witnessed in UFC history! It was just bizarre! I addressed the fans about this in an interview I was giving on Live television after a fight. I don’t remember my exact words, but something along the lines of… “Just ignore these fans, half of them are drunk and stupid.â€￾ I do remember, although, getting in trouble by the “peopleâ€￾ above later that night after the event had aired. Taking my permission to address the fans in this way again in any future UFC events. But I think it’s a huge problem the fans seem to have here in America. A problem they need to be addressed with. When they get alcohol running through the veins, they turn into poor critics!

All I would like to say for those who view my page, or those who are fans of the sport. Whether you fall victim to this behavior or you to, are one who boo’s, is…

Don’t boo! Your just showing how much of an asshole you can be. Your showing how immature and how new you are to the sport. You are not entertaining anyone. You are showing that alcohol can make decisions for you. I highly suggest for anyone, whether you boo or not, don’t drink before a UFC event. Or any sporting event for that matter! Smoke a blunt! Smoke a joint! Smoke something, use a gas mask, use a bong, doesn’t make a difference! But smoking… over alcohol is smart, think about it. Not only will you remember the entire event, but nothing after that moment will seem boring to you again. I wish the arena and state would allow selling of Marijuana over Alcohol. This way the fans will be peaceful people, not jumping off of balconies, or fighting in parking lots. They will enjoy the entire event, no matter how much “lay and prayâ€￾ is being mastered.

Foremost, for those of you who do boo. It’s nonsense! I don’t see one of you boo’ers in the cage fighting. You are all pussies and or bitch’s who stay behind the railing and out of combats way! You couldn’t even begin to realize how tough these fighters are! You sure know how to boo them and talk about how much they suck. But you wont get in the cage to prove how much they suck, will you? These guys are warriors, complete warriors! I’m sure those of you who do boo, are the one’s who also stayed away from trashcans when you were a freshman in high school, right? Show some respect!â€￾ -Joe Rogan

2. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    Joe Rogan is a fucking nerdy ass dork. They are booing because they aren't entertained. Watching Sherk dryhump Franca isn't entertaining.

3. MassaCure

MassaCure Undisputed Champion

ooh nothing entertains me more then a rear naked choke, lol rogan always says that shit

4. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

He's got a point though. Most UFC fans seem to be pathetic, casual, fickle idiots. They are not real fans.

On some of the recent events, there has been literally a FEW SECOND lull in the action, and these pricks all start booing. A few second lull is not uncommon in any sport, and it's not often you get boxing fans booing after just a few seconds of feints etc.

UFC fans are a disgrace.

5. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    The best thing that has happened to MMA is the develpment of the standup fighting. Most of the fans do not understand the ground game and find it very boring. You or me or Joe Rogan might get what the two are trying to do, fighting for position, pushing/pulling for a submission. But the average guy just doesn't get it and would rather the fight be stood back up cuz that's all he really understands. Joe Rogan is seriously a fucking moron.

6. Hanzy

True but you have to look at it from the paying fans' perspective also. A lot of the time, fighters themselves don't even know what the hell they're trying to do. They go for a takedown and often just stall the fight, keeping the opponent down and doing not much else. Sherk vs Franca for example, awful fight. Did Sherk even attempt a single submission in that whole 5 rounds? Even hardcore fans whom I talked to hated that fight and they put the blame entirely on Sherk.
    You have to work on the ground, either some ground/pound or trying a submission or choke of some sort. Just doing a wet blanket tactic isn't going to cut it ala Herring/O'Brian. That's why the refs are now being instructed to stand up the fight more often whenever there's any kind of lull in the action.

7. mexican wedding shirt

I agree, and me, an absolute punching fanatic, I'm glad to see striking emerge since the Gracie days. I love striking.

But fuck, if they like striking and hate grappling so much, why don't they become boxing fans instead?

This would be a good time for boxing promoters and HBO to poach some fans.

8. Hanzy

Because today's boxers out there are a bore I think, mostly safety first and most willing to just get a win despite stinking out the joint like Hopkins, Wright, Mayweather etc. That's why Tyson was so popular even to non-fans.

9. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    i like joe rogan, but promoting marijuana is flat out stupid, unless he was just trying to be funny.

10. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    That's Rogan's thing, trying to be funny.

11. Hanzy

Joe Rogan's material is awful. I wish they'd throw him to the curb and get Bas Rutten in there for commentary.

12. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    Mike Goldberg is even worse.

13. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

They should both be done away with or at least thrown into covering Ultimate Fight Night.

14. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    Bas Rutten and Frank Mir should be the commentators.

15. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Joe Rogan is far better than Bas's "right straight" shit.

16. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Rogan talks so much shit, why don't he put the gloves on and step on the octagon himself?

17. MassaCure

joe rogan is jim lampey, a fuckin cheer leader

18. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Rogan talks shit? He always seems knowledgeable and respectful when I've seen him.

Examples?

19. joony

Home Page:
    rogan called out wesley snipes but the challenge was never accepted. i dont know why he'd call out a 40+ year old actor who's probably less skilled than steven segal.

i'd like to see rogan call out 50 cent who was once a NY golden gloves boxer.

20. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Rogan only calls out highschool kids, MySpacers, and washed up 45+ year old actors.:lol:

21. mexican wedding shirt

Why did he call out snipes in the first place? What did wes do to piss him off?

To be fair, Rogan at least respects the fighters, he can be annoying, but not that much of a prick imo.

22. joony

Home Page:
    i dont know. maybe he didnt like the movie 'art of war'? :lol:

23. MassaCure

if he gave that for his reason i would support him 100%

24. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    segal and snipes are highly skilled. They may be over the hill, but they still have a high skill level in Martial Arts.

25. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

Joe Rogan does have a point though. A lot of the UFC fans boo way too much even when I think the booing isn't justified.

I understand the booing if there is no action, but a lot of them don't know a lot about MMA and if there is actually something going on, the average fan thinks there is nothing going on. This is usually seen with the groundfighting.

But yeah I like the idea of Bas Rutten coming in, plus he's funny too.

26. jackie chan

jackie chan Scrub

Hey i would like to think i understand ground fighting a little but it is boring. Sure guys are battling for posistion and it is high skilled but strikes are much more entertaining.

27. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

I guess everybody is different, I do submission grappling so groundfighting is interesting to me. BUt I can see the fan who even understands groundfighting would find it not exciting as striking. However that's no reason to boo it is all I'm saying..

28. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

A lot of fans boo groundfighting because they can't see what's going on. Either they're too far away, or they're at the wrong vantage point. When you're watching at home, there's always a camera shooting from the best angle.

So a lot of times there may be some great wrestling going on, but people can't see it.

TFK

29. Hanzy

It's only boring if the fighters aren't overly skilled and are trying to stall the fight via 'wet blanket' in order to score a win. A lot of young fighters do that, particularly those with wrestling backgrounds. Sean Sherk and Jake O' Brian did this tactic a few times and it was very frustrating. That's why the refs are instructed to stand the fight up when there's no action on the ground.
    But when you see somebody like a Shogun Rua, Noguira or BJ Penn, you can see the amazing amount of skill demonstrated on the ground. It's not really everybody's cup of tea.
    True though, most fans prefer striking. Even the fighters have gotten serious with their striking, incorporating boxing into their training. Because often, not every fight will go to the ground.

30. Hanzy

The kind of ground-fighting they enjoy is when they can see an attempted submission or ground and pound. Just as long as there's some action going on, the fans are content. I like when the ref is always hollering "You gotta work guys, you gotta work" whenever there's a brief moment of non-action between fighters on the ground.