"I've never even heard of the steroid Nandralone" - Sean Sherk

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Beyond the Grave, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Quote:
    Less than 24 hours after the news that both competitors in the recent lightweight title fight at UFC 73 had tested positive for steroids, it has been confirmed by the California State Athletic commission that champion Sean Sherk has filed an appeal.

His opponent, Hermes Franca, has also filed an appeal, although based on speaking with CSAC Executive Director Armando Garcia, it is likely that Franca’s appeal is to try to lessen the amount of time given for the suspension, which is currently a standard one-year suspension for a positive steroid test.

Armando Garcia spoke to MMAWeekly and confirmed that Sherk called and spoke to him directly and advised of his intention to file the appeal, also claiming that he had never even heard of the steroid Nandralone, the drug he tested positive for according to the commission’s report.

The appeal will be heard in Los Angeles on August 6th in front of the California State Athletic Commission along with many other fighters who have tested positive for steroids, including the afore mentioned Hermes Franca, Phil Baroni and boxer James Toney.

During this appeal process, Garcia confirmed that the commission will not give Sherk another test, be it another urine test or a blood test. Garcia did say that Sherk has the option to do his own independent testing and present that along with any other evidence, witnesses, etc. to the commission when they hear the appeal on August 6th.

Armando Garcia stood by the validity of the tests that were performed on all fighters, mentioning specifically that both the “A†and “B†samples, which will not be tested by the athletic commission’s labs unless in a pristine state, came back positive. Also, in the case of nandralone and testosterone, because they are produced by the human body, the commission will perform an analysis on the sample to review the validity.

In Sean Sherk’s case, the levels for nandralone came back at 12 ng/mL. The average adult will test for nandralone at 2 ng/mL, and an athlete with vigorous activity will test up to 6 ng/mL. Garcia stands behind the fact that Sherk’s test coming back at 12 ng/mL, twice the limit, is more than enough to prove the positive testing correct.

The scheduled hearing in front of the California State Athletic Commission will be on August 6th. At this hearing, the appeal will also be heard from Hong Man Choi, who was denied a license prior to his scheduled bout with Brock Lesnar at the K-1 Dynamite show in June, reportedly due to tumors found near Choi's pituitary gland.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...4365&zoneid=13

2. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

I believe him for sure. Just look at him, there's no way he's taken steroids imo.

3. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    :lol: good one

4. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

:lol: :lol:

and wasn't he the guy who quit the sport because he couldnt make a living out of it,

I remember after the fight he said he trained really hard for this and everything he eats taste's like shite....well now we know what nandralone tastes like.

5. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    People give Tim Sylvia shit but he handled his steriod situation like a man,he made know excuses,he laid his Heavyweight title on the table and did his time like a MAN!! Sherk would earn points from me if he did the same.

6. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think he's wasting his time with the UFC anyway. Look at him. Here's a guy who supposedly, according to all the snippets, articles and documentaries, trains like an animal. All he does in his life is train, train, and train some more. For all his efforts and all the time he devotes to his fighting career, he walks away with a flat fee of $14,000. Now ADD to that, he's the lightweight champion which obviously right there should give him some rank and power on the roster. But unfortunately for him, no matter how hard he trains and how devoted he is to the sport of MMA, the money is not there for him.
    He can talk all the sh*t he wants about how the UFC title means everything to him and how he's willing to die before he loses his title but let's be real, that title is a cheap piece of sh*t. It's absolutely worthless. Nobody thinks anything of it, there's no money with holding that title, the man is at the bottom of the barrell of the pay scale.
    He should move on. Just forget about the UFC and find a real job. Maybe just open up a school or become an assistant or personal mma trainer. There's no money in the UFC for him. And after this roiding situation, there never will be.
    That's how the UFC operates, that's their business model. He's not getting paid as a fighter, let alone getting paid as a champion. He's just another 'whore' to the brass. It's all downhill from here. He needs to just move on and find another career. The pay just isn't worth the training and headaches for him, IMO.

7. holler

holler WBC Champion

He should just call out Floyd to fight him in a boxing ring. He can take his beating like a man and make a career pay day :lol:

8. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    MMA rules?:dunno:

9. holler

holler WBC Champion

Why fight with MMA rules? Theres no money in MMA.

Fight under the marquess of queensbury rules, take his beating like a man, and I guarantee Shrek will make a career payday - a lot more than a paltry 15g's. :stir:

10. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Has there been an athlete in the history of sports that has ever just owned up to taking roids right after testing positive. It's always "i didn't know what i was taking, or the test was wrong" :rolleyes:

11. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Tim Sylvia did.:nono:

12. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    guys like Sherk are the main reason why the UFC will not be the only game in town for long. White and the UFC will cause so much discontent amongst their own fighters because they are too cheap to pay anyone guys will go elsewhere to fight.

13. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I don't recall that as i don't follow MMA that closely. Did he say ok you caught me i cheated, or did he say he was taking it because of an injury or something?

14. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

He had no argument. He was taking it because, in his own words "I wanted to look like a fighter."
    And you can actually see the tremendous physical difference. Watch him in his fight against Ricco Rodriguez in late 2002 and then watch him after he's been busted for roids. He was actually muscular and ripped in that fight whereas now he's a sloppy saggy sack of crap. Those roids did a wonder on his body.

15. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

Sherk is a cheating,boring, dryhumper.