UFC inks Wanderlei Silva

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by steve_dave, Aug 18, 2007.

1. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

from fightnews.com

Las Vegas, NV (USA) –Dana White, UFC® President, today announced he has signed the mixed martial arts superstar Wanderlei Silva, and that UFC fans could see the Brazilian legend fight by the end of this year.

“This is the pinnacle of my seven year career in this company,â€￾ said White. “I’m so excited to have Wanderlei under contract. He grabbed my arm and looked me in the eyes like one of his pre-fight staredowns and he said ‘I’m gonna fight so good for you, you’re gonna see the best fights ever from Wanderlei Silva.’â€￾

It has been a deal several years in the making, but finally, one of mixed martial arts’ unquestioned greats – Silva, the former PRIDE Champion - will return to fighting in the Octagon™ this December for the first time in over seven years to take on the best 205-pound fighters in the world.

“Many fighters have a dream of fighting for the UFC, and as a champion for six years in Japan, my dream has always been to have the UFC belt,â€￾ said Silva. “Today, I’m one step closer to this goal.â€￾

The signing of Silva, which took place in the Zuffa offices in Las Vegas this afternoon, is the culmination of years of pursuit and hard work by White, who weathered a series of ups and downs to get the Brazilian bomber in the UFC, where potential matchups with the likes of former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell await.

The 31-year old Silva, known by fight fans as “The Axe Murdererâ€￾ for his ultra-aggressive style and finishing ability, began his career almost 11 years ago in his native Brazil, fighting in Vale Tudo bouts that pushed him to the limit as he honed the skills that would soon make him one of the most feared fighters on the planet.

In 1998, Silva would make his UFC debut against Vitor Belfort, and he would fight two more times in the Octagon (including a 2000 bout against Tito Ortiz).

But it was in the PRIDE organization that the legend of Silva was truly born, and after his debut in 1999, he met great success by winning the organization’s middleweight championship and defeating the likes of current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson (twice), Dan Henderson, Kazushi Sakuraba (three times), Ricardo Arona, Hidehiko Yoshida, and Kazuyuki Fujita, while engaging in some of the most memorable fights in MMA history.

“This guy is a real fighter,â€￾ said White. “He reminds me of Chuck Liddell, and he’s the kind of fighter that all fight fans love to see fight. He’s a gunslinger. He will get in harm’s way to inflict damage and pain. This guy comes out like a speeding train and never stops. He goes for the finish, he likes to knock people out, and I just think he’s going to bring so much excitement to the UFC, I feel like I’m going to jump out of my skin.â€￾

Well-rested after his February PRIDE fight against Dan Henderson, Silva (31-7-1) now looks forward to the next chapter in his career in the UFC.

“I’m gonna work hard to give a great show for the fans and I want to thank God for this opportunity,â€￾ said Silva, who counts the key elements of his style as raw aggression, emotion, and intensity.

He also wants to send a message to prospective foes.

“I want to issue a warning to the other fighters out there: you need to train hard, because “The Axe Murdererâ€￾ is here.â€￾

A date and opponent for Silva’s return will be announced at a later date.

2. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I wouldn't be surprised if Silva gets destroyed in his first match in the UFC. He's taken a long break and is coming off 2 brutal KOs and he's looked more worn out and depleted. Could be the beginning of the end for Silva. The UFC noobs will probably go "Who's this Silva bum?"

3. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I don't know but I used to be hyped for all this UFC - Pride thing, now I couldn't care less. I think it's the long waits between good fight cards, or the sudden obliteration of Chuck Liddell. The only interesting matchup would be couture vs. fedor, and that fight seems unlikely for a long time.

4. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

Coutre vs. Fedor would be the equivalent to Holmes vs. Cobb

5. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    i'd like to see Silva take on a couple of stiffs before setting up a rematch against either jackson or henderson depending who wins.

silva is definitely in decline, but i don't think he's completely shot. there's always room for rejuvenation especially for an MMA guy who's only 30 years old.

i thought Jackson was shot after seeing him get completely dominated by Rua, but he managed to get a string of wins then win the title against Lidell.

I think Silva can do the same.

6. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

What a load of fucking bollocks. Yeah I am sure when he is in the midst of a vicious exchange, the foremost thought on his mind is pleasing dana white.

And I am sure the whole time he was a pride fighter he was just wishing, hoping he could enter the UFC instead and earn a 5th of what he was earning in Pride.

7. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

What did he make fighting in Pride?