Couture-Gonzaga & GSP-Koscheck

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by whiskey, Aug 21, 2007.

1. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

How do you see these ones going?

2. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Couture I think can pull off a 5 round decision win over a tired Gonzaga. GSP should get a decision win over Koscheck.

3. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Hopefully they don't both go the distance.

4. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

They will.

Gonzaga is so overrated right now because of the Cro Cop KO. Cro Cop has always been chinny and he got tagged with a good kick. That doesn't make Gonzaga a devastating striker though. I hope Randy can pull it off but he has had trouble with big guys who are good grapplers in the past like Rico Rodriguez. IMO, it's a pick'em. I'm rooting for Couture no doubt though.

Kos vs St Pierre is also a tough one to pick. GSP should edge Kos and take a decision.

5. Hanzy

Gonzaga does have some heavy hands though. He's KO'd fighters with single punches even though his main style is grappling/submission. I think he could hit anybody and rock them or drop them.
    His high kick was vicious though. How do you cause a 220lb fighter like CroCop to fall over like that in such devastating fashion with his leg contorted in a grotesque way? It had to be a very powerful kick but I guess that isn't a surprise when you're 6'3, 250lbs with a good base of striking and grappling.
    Couture is going to be smart though. He's going to take it 1 round at a time and he's going to be thinking in there. Gonzaga's never gone 5 hard rounds before. He could get gassed out.

6. *Z*

We know Randy has the stamina to go 5 rounds. I hope he outworks Gonzaga and wins. We will see though.

7. Bug Eyed Earl

Bug Eyed Earl Scrub

Have you guys ever seen Couture-Rodriguez or Couture-Barnett? Come on now. Gonzaga takes him down and muscies him around until he pounds him out of there with a referee stoppage in the second or third round.

8. Hanzy

True but keep in mind that Gonzaga is not a veteran of the octagon. He's lacking on experience and he hasn't been 5 rounds. Barnett and Ricco were well established, proven and experienced fighters.
    I can sense Gonzaga will gas if he can't get Couture out of there within the first 2 rounds. Couture is a phenomally talented, experienced and intelligent fighter. He fights 1 round at a time and he studies his opponents and capitalizes on their weaknesses. He's seen Gonzaga up close and is aware of what he's dealing with. I'm sure he's going to be very well prepared for this fight.
    Couture's wrestling/JJ base and intelligence can match up well with Gonzaga's JJ. Couture has to be smart though. He's practiced his boxing and his striking has improved and he looks very fit and strong at heavyweight.

9. *Z*

Have you ever seen my post right before yours where I mentioned this already? :lol:

10. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

If this fight is close after 3 rounds Gonzaga will lose. His stamina is no good.

11. *Z*

Just look at his loss to Werdum. He gasses badly. He's even heavier now than he was then too. That can't help his stamina.