Couture/Liddell 4 at Heavyweight? Who wins?

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by steve_dave, Aug 27, 2007.

1. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

It's obvious that Randy was weakened from draining his body down to 205 at such an advanced age. Otherwise he never would have lost to someone who is such a freakin BUM like Chuck.

Randy evens the score at Heavy, IMO.

2. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

I agree.

Much like Roy Jones once he moved back down to Lt. Heavy after beaing Ruiz.....Couture is obviously a bigger guy than a 205 pounder.

When you get older, it takes a major toll on the body to drain that much weight off...plus it makes one weaker.

Randy hammers Liddell at heavyweight.

3. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:lol: So when Randy kicked the sh*t out of Chuck in their first fight at 205 in 2003, and then went on to beat the hell out of Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort also at 205, he wasn't weight-drained?
    But suddenly because Chuck found Randy's chin with 1 punch in both the rematch and the rubber match, Randy was now weight-drained?
    It's a styles thing stevie. Chuck has a 50-50 shot against Couture in any weight class because Chuck has the style to give Couture trouble. Chuck's sprawl and ability to break from Randy's clinch not to mention keeping the fight in the middle of the octagon is something Randy has trouble dealing with.
    It has nothing to do with Couture being drained or Chuck being a bum. Come on now! Stop reaching for excuses just because Couture looked decent in his last fight. Gonzaga isn't Chuck Liddell, he doesn't have anywhere near the same style. Chuck is a division 1 wrestler with a kickboxing background, Gonzaga is BJJ and a relative novice in MMA with little experience.
    Let's not get carried away with Couture's performance. His chin is still suspect. That's how Chuck knocked him into next week, twice.

4. Hanzy

Randy had tremendous trouble trying to keep Chuck down on the mat, Chuck is one of the most difficult fighters to keep down. He would never allow Randy to keep him in a Greco Roman clinch on the fence the way most other fighters do. Chuck has that skill to break Randy's clinch and make Randy fight his fight........which means in the middle of the octagon where Randy is most susceptible.

5. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I do know one thing Hanzy... Chuck is a BUM.

6. Hanzy

Yeah, and Randy was a bum too when he got KTFO TWICE by Chuck the bum. Come on stevie! :dunno:
    Like they always say, you're only as good as your last fight. Chuck got KO'd in his last fight whereas Randy won his last fight. That's why you're talking so much sh*t right now.:lol:

7. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Liddell is no bum. He starched Randy twice! Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. You don't get the resume that Chuck has by being a bum. He's beat a ton of good fighters. To say he is a bum is saying you are a retard.

8. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    After there first fight Chuck became a styles nightmare for Couture.I don't see things changing and I believe Chuck is the reason Randy moved UP

9. *Z*

He's definitely the reason. Had Randy won the third fight he'd have been defending his LHW title.

10. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    In MMA if your not good in every area of the sport,there's always going to be a fighter that has your number.

11. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I have no interest in Chuck\Randy 4. There are so many good fights out there to be made at 205\Heavy, that there's no reason to make one we've already seen 3 times before.

TFK

12. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

The reason to make it would be that it would do very good PPV numbers. I don't care to see it again either though. If I was a promoter though I would make it happen.

13. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

Chuck is getting old. And Randy is the exception......not the rule.

Guys who are 38+ who are into combat sports, are on the downside.

Chuck is a guy who is sorta one dimensional. Hard to take down and has extremely heavy hands, and a knack for landing the KO shot.

But MMA is more than that...and now that Liddell is getting older, my guess is that he will be more susceptable to being hit and or taken down.

At heavyweight....the already paunchy looking Liddell would be at a severe disadvantage against the Randy Couture I saw the other night.

14. Gh77

Gh77 Leap-Amateur

Interesting thing to note about Couture's fight with Gonzaga. With Couture's new-found head movement he's leaving himself open for a kick to the head. Hanzy pointed it out I do believe after the Sylvia fight. In the third round Gonzaga throws one of his hands up just slightly before throwing the high kick. Randy reads it as a punch, and immediately bobs to his left. Gonzaga then catches him with a high kick. Luckily for Randy, he took it. However, if he's not careful he will be put knocked out...

15. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

Yeah I don't get how Randy lost to Chuck. Randy would wipe the floor with Chuck at heavy.

16. Hanzy

That's an assumption, not a fact. Randy has gotten brutally KTFO by Chuck in his last 2 fights. Once might be luck, second is not. Don't get too impressed by Randy's performance against Gonzaga this past saturday. You're making the classic mistake of judging fighters by their most recent performance. It's still the same old Randy, just older but a bit better with his boxing. His strategy is the same as it always was, his chin is the same as it always was. He's not as improved as you'd think. He could still get KTFO by Chuck again if they meet in the center of the octagon where Randy is unable to clinch Chuck onto the fence. Chuck has a style which troubles Randy.

17. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I call Chuck a "Bum" too.. but he did KO Randy:lol:

the thing Chuck is a MASTER at.... is defending the takedown. he is very good at sprawling not going down on top of that .. his wild haymaykers do DAMAGE... these guys are not boxers who slip and parry.. the defense in MMA is pretty terrible and Chucks wide, wild haymakers land and do serious damage! if they fought again at Heavy.. I'd lean toward Randy cuz I got to think he'd defend himself... but who knows?

18. Hanzy

Chuck COULD be a bum but he's got experience and he knows how to exploit Randy's weaknesses. Randy is still a Greco Roman wrestler and nothing can change that. His mentality is always to try to close distance, clinch you, put you up against the fence and do his thing or try to go for a quick takedown. Chuck figured out his pattern and came up with a strategy to counter this in both the rematch and the rubber match.
    Unless Randy was to use a completely different gameplan, Chuck should give him another very rough go.

19. *Z*

People talk about MMA fighters lacking defense but let me give you an example. You saw what happened when Tito Ortiz tried to clam up like Winky against Liddell. How did that help him? He got stopped right away.

This is not boxing, you don't punch to score points, you punch to hurt guys. That is why guys are swimging for the fences and not jabbing and moving. You don't win MMA fights with a boxing style of punching. Look at Hermes Franca vs Spencer Fisher. Fisher outboxed Franca easy, it's clear as day he's a better boxer, he was winning the fight and then BAM! Franca throws the widest ugliest haymaker ever and wins the fight by KO.

MMA is not and will not ever be the sweet science, it's kill or be killed.