How much does Roy have left?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Explosivo, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

I just rewatched the Hanshaw fight....and even in the 12th round, Jones was still sick fast and seemed to have fine stamina.

He did lay on the ropes waaay too much, and does catch more shots now than he used to.

Hanshaw is a good fighter, and I think that Jones dominated him like few at that weight would.

Trinidad will only stand a chance because of Roy's tendency to lay on the ropes and get hit.

But he will make Trinidad look like he is moving in slow motion.......no matter if Tito lands the big shot or not.

This fight will be a mismatch.

2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Don't be surprised if the Tito - Jones fight goes down almost exactly as his fight with Hanshaw

3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Enough left to beat Tito like a hebrew slave. But not enough left to beat a guy like Dawson, Calzaghe, Johnson, or Kessler.

4. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

no doubt it's a mismatch..

it's actually a better fight now that it would have been a while back.

Roy is just 1000 times faster than Tito and is bigger, he will be the one to KO Tito not the other way around

5. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Yeah I can't imagine Tito ever touching Roy up. Roy might well give Tito the works, it would not suprise me at all.

6. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

I agree that its a mismatch. I just don't see one advantage Trinidad has, especially since he's moving up in weight.

7. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

He's actually moving DOWN in weight :lol:

8. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I saw highlights of the Hanshaw fight and was pretty surprised at how well

Roy looked. I don't give Tito a shot in hell. Roy could destroy him in 1 rd if he

really put forth the effort. I can't get over how horrible Tito looked against

Wright. People like to make it seem like a style thing, but to me it was more

like Tito just put up no effort.

9. admin

admin has left the building

Keep all of these posts. I don't want to hear BS when Tito beats Roy like a tribal drum.

Cupey

10. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    Thats the biggest mistake everyone is making here. IF the Tito of old shows up for the fight alot of you will be very surprised on the outcome.

11. Double L

Double L Book Reader

watch your step. remember. if RJJ's not shot, then it means he wasn't the superhuman wrecking machine that so many claim he was 5-10 years ago. remember. the story here is that by the time he faced tarver he was shot. and that just a few years prior he would've wiped his ass with tarver (and anyone else for that matter).

so we can go ahead and talk about his chances against trinidad and praise him for his display of vintage RJJ against Hanshaw. but don't deviate from the company line - RJJ is shot. and has been ever since the tarver fight.

12. admin

It won't be Tito of old. It will be an old Tito :lol:

13. IMDAZED

IMDAZED Undisputed Champion

Double, Double, Double. Your logic is quite flawed.

If RJJ's not shot, then it means he wasn't the superhuman wrecking machine that so many claim he was 5-10 years ago.

For the sake of argument, I'll counter by saying that since Jones WAS a superhuman wrecking machine, his fall from that level left him as just a good fighter, and not shot. He had a lot farther to fall ;)

14. admin

I think the time off helped Roy get the rest his body needed. He was shot before he left. Now I say he's slipped a lot from his prime, but not shot. Bad legs, still very fast hands.

Cupey

15. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    fast hands, shitty coordination, diminished reflexes, no legs, no chin, and no power. yea he's not shot. :lol:

16. Rock on

Rock on Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    :laughing:

17. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think Hanshaw is a bit underrated. He was undefeated and obviously a very tough guy who never stopped trying.
    He wanted to batter Jones how Johnson did and tryed his hardest to do so. Jones isn't the Jones of old but perhaps he is not as bad off as some people are making him out to be.

Jones should be rematching Johnson , then Tarver ...

The thing about Jones that makes me not really give a shit is that he stated in that interview that he knew his next fight would be his last and for some reason he thought he should stay light , then the Trinidad opportunity came along.
    IMO thats just stupid on his part to think he has resolved everything by fighting Trinidad and the retiring. :rolleyes:

He should attempt to avenge his losses , consolidate the Lt. Heavy division , then retire.

18. IMDAZED

Should he beat Tito (convincgly), Jones will fight again.

19. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    but the problem is that everyone dismissed the tarver trilogy as roy being weight-drained (first fight) and shot (2nd and 3rd fights), as well as the johnson debacle.

of course, Doub takes it to the extreme :lol: ... but I will agree with the theory that you don't go from shot to shades of old self. Once you're shot, you're shot. That's it.

If anything, it just outlines the abuse of the term.

20. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

And your post proves your point...

I've been saying you're shot for YEARS.

21. Jake

Home Page:
    Oddly enough, I agree with everything except your first and last sentence :lol:

Hanshaw's not a complete bum or anything, but he's a seriously limited fighter who had an undefeated record. That was Roy's motivation for fighting him. Much like a prospect claiming all he faced on the way up was fighters with winning records. It sounds good - until you find that the guys they beat were shitty clubfighters, or worse opponents for shitty clubfighters. So in that sense, I think Hanshaw is rated just about right. At best, he might one day become a top 10 contender.

I kind of agree with the last sentence, except for the consolidating the LWH division part. I'd be content with his sticking around just long enough to avenge his loss to Johnson - or even attempt it. I don't see him beating any of the present titlists - including Woods, who he still owns scoreboard over.

22. Jake

Home Page:
    and I've never since claimed to be unshot. :lol:

23. CleanYourClock

I think Jones hit more of a mental stumbling block then he was actually shot in the above mentioned fights.

I do believe he might of had some weight issues in the first Tarver fight.
    The second Tarver fight , he looked fine and then got caught.

Before & After in the Johnson and 3rd Tarver fight , I think he had mental issues with himself more so then being physically shot.
    Who knows if he has overcome them.
    I think he may have partially overcome them but , after those 3 losses - 2 by KO , there will always be something in his mind and he will never be the same even if he was still young and fresh.

24. admin

In other words, Hanshaw is your typical Roy Jones opponent.

[​IMG]

25. CleanYourClock

I'm not sticking up for Hanshaw or anything but , I bet Hanshaw Vs Johnson would be a good fight.

26. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    Jones should be fighting Johnson. Its simple. But I think Roy has lost his confidence and is fighting guys that he sure he can beat.

Do you really think Woods would beat Roy now, Jake? :eeeek: I always thought if there was a title Roy should go after it would be Woods' title.

27. Jake

Home Page:
    I don't disagree with you at all. I don't think Roy is shot. No, he's clearly not the fighter he once was, but not quite shot, either.

The Johnson fight, Muzse and I have always contended that Roy took it too soon after being knocked out by Tarver, just for the sake of accomodating HBO's schedule. I'm not saying Roy would've beat him with, say another month or two to train, but rarely does any major fighter come back that soon after a knockout these days. Especially Roy, who spent the better part of the decade spacing out his fights every 5-6 months - and those for fights where he won, with a lot of room to spare.

28. admin

The Johnson fight was a bad choice for Roy. Wrong style for a guy who was shot. But people need to give Roy credit for taking that chance.

C

29. IMDAZED

I think a motivated Tarver always troubles him, in 1998 or 2003. Just my thoughts. Johnson...not so much. I thought Jones was slipping as far back as 2001, when Derrick Harmon landed 59% of his power shots against him. Truth be told, he looked pretty crappy against Eric Harding a few months before that.

Sure he looked great against Julio Gonzalez some months later but that guy was as slow as a walrus. In fact, I think Jones' great victory over Ruiz masked how far he REALLY slipped. He looked incredibly slower and easier to hit against Johnny Boy. Only difference was, Ruiz was a slow HEAVYweight - making Jones look super fast, once again. Jones fall from grace wasn't a crash landing, it was a gradual descent. It just came to light in that one fight against Tarver.

Jake - watching the Hanshaw bout, the question is though...is he SHOT? He looked ok but something is terribly off. I have the sneaky suspicion that Roy spent more time ont he ropes not just because he can't use his legs anymore, but because his reflexes won't allow him to slip out the way of punches in the middle of the ring. In short, Roy Jones Jr. can get KTFO at any point in time by anybody at this point. He's also capable of pulling off the upset too IMO.

30. admin

Here is the recipe for Tito to beat Roy

Liquid Kryptonite Recipe <table width="320"><tbody><tr> <td> Ingredients </td> <td align="center">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> 1 1/2 oz Goldschlager </td> <td align="center">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> 6 oz Mountain Dew</td></tr></tbody></table>