The lastest scoop on Fedor Emelianenko

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Hanzy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

The word around Las Vegas is UFC President Dana White is meeting with the management team of Fedor Emelianenko (26-1) this week and the plan
    is to one way or another get a deal done by August 31. As Jeremy Lambert mentioned in his article Fedor wants to be able to compete in Russia however the UFC has no plans on holding a event in Russia anytime soon.

Fedor had a lot of perks with his Pride deal. The UFC is offering more money which is rumored to be the biggest contract the UFC has ever offered a fighter. However it seems money is not everything with Fedor as the UFC are not willing to grant him any of the perks he had in his Pride deal. The most notable perks Fedor had on his Pride deal was

1. Fedor was allowed to fight for other MMA promotions if the event he was fighting on was in Russia.

2. Fedor was able to book a few fighters from his camp; The Red Devil sport club in Pride events.

3. Fedor was allowed to compete in Combat Sambo events since he is a very popular figure in Sambo.

Reportedly the UFC has said no to all of these demands. Fedor's management team has stated publicly that they are not happy with the UFC's "take it or leave it" negotiating with their client. This is a very sticky situation for both parties. The UFC says time and time again they are the Superbowl of Mixed Martial Arts. However you have to have without question the best fighter in the world to make that claim which is Fedor Emelianenko. However how long can Fedor maintain the status of #1 fighter in the world if he is not in the UFC?

Other promotions may be willing to pay more money then Zuffa but it is now obvious if you want to be the best fighter in the world you need to
    fight in the UFC.

supposedly dana and fedor are meeting tomorrow, thursday, and hope to have something worked out by the end of the month. i wonder if couture winning has dana busting his ass off to get fedor signed. fedor vs couture could be the biggest mma fight in history, surpassing fedor vs cro cop.

2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I hope Fedor don't sign with UFC. I hate that "I'm throwing these millions at your face for you to be my slave, take it or leave it" attitude. It's not like Fedor will be out of work if he doesn't sign with Dana.

3. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

I would love to see fedor smash everyone up in the UFC, but he should stick to his guns. Don't let them be pricks. They need him as much as he needs them, and afterall it seems it's the UFC that's going after Fedor, not vice versa.

4. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

The UFC don't truly need Fedor, he needs then. They will continue to do well with, or without him. Sure he can fight elsewhere but what kind of competition is he going to face? What organization is going to pay him like the UFC? Also, honestly if I was signing Fedor I wouldn't want him fighting in other places either, what if he gets hurt or losses? That would hurt his reputation without it even being to someone else in the UFC. Fedor needs to quit being a bitch and sign up.

5. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

OK I see your point, and I agree with you. It would be completely pointless for him to fight in other organisations against mediocre opposition.

And of course I agree they've done fine without him so far, so they don't NEED him need him, but to be honest I am sure they want him at least as much as he wants to fight in the UFC. He is generally regarded as the best P4P fighter in MMA, of course they're going to want him in the UFC.

The post I made before was simply because I fucking hate fighters getting told what to do and taken advantage of, especially by the UFC who pay their fighters and champions like absolute shit.

By the way Val - you know a thing or 2 about MMA, what was the point in UFC buying pride? Seeing as pride is disappearing and all the fighters are transferring to the UFC?

Why would they not just let Pride just go bankrupt, then have all the fighters sign with them? I don't get it.

6. valdosta

Home Page:

They thought they could make something of Pride but they were wrong. I think it ended up an awfull acquisition to be honest. Like you said they could have just waited for it to bankrupt and picked up the fighters they wanted.

As for Fedor, I don't feel he would be taken advantage of. Being taken advantage of is the mid card fighters who don't make jack shit. If Fedor is getting a nice offer of $$$$ he should sign up if he wants to continue to be taken seriously. Of course the UFC wants the guy who is considered the best fighter in the world. Then again the best fighter in the world might not keep his status if he fights Middleweights in heavyweight fightson a regular basis.

7. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Actually, the pay has improved to a degree. I know that both Chuck and Tito for their rematch in UFC 66 made a flat fee of $250,000 and once the ppv was tallied up, both guys banked up to $3 million when all was said and done.
    I heard Randy and Jackson also in their most recent fights just cashed a cheque bigger than they ever have before, with all the bonus money coming in, particularly from ppv.

If it's true that Dana White and the UFC are offering Fedor the biggest contract ever offered to a fighter, then I'm believing that Fedor is going to be making mega millions.

8. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The fact here is Pride is dead, and UFC is now hands down the premier MMA organization. If you want to face the best fighters in the world, you are going to need to fight in the UFC. If Fedor wants to continue to be known as the best in MMA that is where he needs to go.

With that said, I don't see why the UFC can't agree to do a show in Russia. They go to England for Bisping, why not schedule a show in Russia to showcase Fedor? I'm sure it would do a huge live gate, and they would still broadcast it in the US and get the huge PPV dollars as well.

9. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Yah make it sound like the UFC heavyweight division is stacked with talent or something:lol: Couture is the only fight there for him,he's beatin the Pride Fighters they've signed and the rest of the UFC Heavyweight talent is Rubbish or not experienced,with that being said Fedor needs to ease up on the demands :lol: thats alot too ask for IMO and it wouldn't hurt for UFC to do shows in Russia I mean they supposedly are a "World" promotion.

10. valdosta

Home Page:

What organization has better talent in the heavyweight division than the UFC?

11. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    spiritMC

12. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    None and that's pathetic because Fedor already cleaned out the UFC Heavyweight division without even fighting there :lol:

13. valdosta

Home Page:
    Not exactly, there's a few guys left for him to beat like Vera (if he wins his next fight), Couture and hell even a guy like Gonzaga. If Cro Cop could get a couple wins that rematch becomes huge as well. It's not like there is nothing at the UFC for Fedor. Kinda sucks though, 1 guy I want to see Fedor fight is Josh Barnett and he isn't in the UFC. His style could give Fedor a tough time.

14. Beyond the Grave

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Gonzaga ain't ready,he needs more experience.As for Barnett,White wants no part of him(or Dennis Kang WTF!!) which is retarded,why hand top talent on a silver platter to other promotions.I mean for the fans thats great(more MMA options) but as a business man in his position thats just dumb.Nick Diaz is right the UFC don't give a fuck about pushing the best fighters,just the most marketable.White is on some Vince McMahan shit!!

15. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

UFC will do just fine without Fedor, as many mainstream American UFC fans have never seen, and probably never heard of him. It would be awesome if they could come to terms, but I think it would hurt Fedor much more then the UFC if they don't.

And there are plenty of heavyweights in the UFC that Fedor hasn't faced, such as Cotoure, Arlovski, Vera, Sylvia, etc, that would make for interesting fights.

The rights to Pride's video library alone make the deal a great one for UFC. Not only can they show footage of previous Pride fights to hype upcoming fights, I'm certain they'll be putting career retrospective DVD's out in the future. And now they can throw someone like Rampage or Wandy's Pride and UFC fights on a double DVD set.