REED's Initial MMA Thoughts/Questions...

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by REEDsART, Sep 9, 2007.

1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Foremost, the Level of VIOLENCE in this Sport is SHOCKING, yet CAPTIVATING:clap: ...

Undeniably...

Otherwise...

1. Is Bruce Buffer RELATED to Michael???...Surely it's NOT just a COINCIDENCE:dunno: ...

2. Houston Alexander was THE Most Impressive Fighter on the Card, to REED's "Virgin" Eye's....The Guy had an ULTRA Impressive PHYSIQUE, Particularly his THIGHS...NEWSFLASH!!!...AVOID his KNEELIFTS...They HURT!!!:lol: ...

3. Has Randy Coutour & Fedor EVER Fought???

4. Do ALL MMA Fights BEGIN Upright???...REED Would Think that SOME Ground Reliant Fighters would Use an EXTREME Croutch or Start Off on 1 Knee,or Something:dunno: ...

5. Cro-Cop Looked like Roy Jones in his 3rd Fight w/Tarver...PROUD Enough to Get BACK in the Ring, yet Tooooo PETRIFIED to Take the SAME Chances he USED to Take...

6. Apparently, Lightheavy is a HEAVILY POPULATED Division in MMA...

7. The TENSION btwn the Euro Guy & the Deaf Guy was PALPABLE, Despite REED NEVER hearing of EITHER Guy Previously...The Deaf Guy WON the Fight, in REED's UNeducated MMA Opinion...

8. MMA Guys DON'T Bodypunch from an UPRIGHT Position,as Much as they COULD or SHOULD...

REED:cool:

2. MassaCure

MassaCure Undisputed Champion

No

If one starts out on 1 knee and the other is standing, they are going to get kicked

most mma fighters arent great strikers, and dont like to put there hands down because it leaves them open for a split second, and with small gloves one punch ends it all, especially when most of them have crappy stand up defence to begin with

3. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:

Couldn't of said it better myself.Gonzaga ruined Cro Cop.

Alexander looked impressive ..........but the guy he fought was not on his level.Houstons that dude though and I'm MIGHT jump on the bandwagon.

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Also,REED expected MORE Bravado from Rampage Jackson...Did he PURPOSELY Tone it DOWN Cause he's COOL w/Henderson???

REED:dunno:

5. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:

Yes,there good friends outside the ring.

6. Bob N. Weave

Bob N. Weave WBC Champion

1. Yeah, hes a CHEAP imitation though.

2. Yeah, hes pretty good. Although I feel that a good grappler will give him a problem.

3. No. But, I have a funny feeling it's next up for Randy.

4. Yeah, all upright.

5. Yeah, It was shocking. Crocop is a shell of himself. It looked like he didn't even want to fight. Usually hes ferocious in there.

6. Its a good division. Pretty stacked.

7. Yeah, I feel that the deaf guy won too. I just think Bisping is a punk ass. Hes a cocky bitch. Felt sorry for Matt.

8. Some do.

7. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Bruce and Michael Buffer are half-brothers, I think. They're definitely related.

8. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The big question is, did you enjoy it enough that you would buy a UFC PPV?

TFK

9. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    no.

I was disappointed the main event ended up on the floor as much as it did. obviously there is strategy in the positioning on the ground but that is not exciting to watch.

10. Bob N. Weave

Uh, it's not boxing, you know.

11. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Its because you dont understand it just yet.

12. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    There's not exactly much to understand when it comes to Jackson and Henderson's ground games. It's not like they are BJJ experts, it's mostly just ground and pound with control. Most people watching the UFC aren't watching for that. Anyone else notice all the boo's during the match?

13. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I'm saying!

It goes without saying that boxing purists get defensive when any comparison is made between boxing and MMA (particularly on why the latter is more popular, or at least bringing in more new fans than boxing). But when a fight like this comes up, it's the MMA side putting up the same front.

You can't tell people what's exciting and what isn't. You either feel it or you don't. I'll tune in from time to time on other UFC cards, but as I said in the other thread, last night wasn't a card that would prompt me to spend $40 (or whatever they charge for PPV) on the next one.

14. valdosta

Home Page:
    Exactly. While last night's fight might have been good to people who are big fans of MMA, it was not exciting to the casual fan. They were on the ground way to much. Fans at the UFC events are pretty shitty though they are real quick to boo fighters which is pretty fucked up. If I am a fighter with a great ground game I am taking a guy straight down as well. Who the hell wants to get punched in the head when they don't have to.

15. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Probably Not...

But that's NOT a Slight to MMA, Cause REED ENJOYED what he Saw,for the Most Part...REED's on a 3-4 PPV per Year Diet & 2007 is ALREADY Booked w/Shane-Cotto,Floyd-Hatton Forthcoming...

The Only "Negative" to REED was the Main Event...Rampage WASN'T as "Over the Top" w/his Personality as REED had HOPED he'd B,but as Explained,that was Because he's Very Cool w/Henderson...& Even Though Both Guys Fought HARD,there Wasn't a Sense of MALICE btwn the 2...

When the Deaf Guy Fought the Brit,they WANTED to HURT Each Other...REED Had Butterflies During that 1:lol: ...

REED'll Definitely CONTINUE to Watch MMA,but Not on a PPV Level, just Yet...

Now If that Dude Fedor Joins UFC & a MONSTER PPV was Put Together,REED would Get It...

For Instance,if Fedor vs Coutour, Rampage vs Alexander & a RE btwn the Deaf Guy & the Brit was on the SAME PPV Card,REED would B Inclined to Buy it...

Basically,Name Recognition &/or FAMILIARITY w/MANY Fighters is the Key to Making REED Buy MMA PPV's...

16. Bob N. Weave

Try watching "the ultimate fighter" this season. It familiarizes you with the up and comers of the sport, has tons of action/conflict, and its FREE!!

17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Definitely will...

Unlike Most,REED Actually LIKES Reality Shows (The Contender,Flavor of Love,Rock of Love,I Love N.Y.,etc.:lol: ),so "Ultimate Fighter" is Right Up REED's Alley...

Btwn the Free Episodes of WEC on Versus (They're Replaying Marcus Hicks' Fight Tomorrow:cheer: )& "Ultimate Fighter", REED'll B Up to Speed on MMA in No Time...

18. Bob N. Weave

Yeah, its a very well done show, MUCH better than The Contender. Spike also plays tons of old UFC fight cards throughout the week. I think it's called "Ultimate Fight Night" or something.

19. Breeze

Breeze WBC Champion

Yeah they are not BJJ experts but there are are tremendous wrestlers. As far as technical wrestling is was a great display. Especially Henderson who was a former Olympic wrestler.

20. valdosta

Home Page:
    Sure but like I said, what they were doing in there was not exactly complicated stuff. Not saying that they don't have there own set of skills just that GNP and wrestling is not exactly complicated stuff or hard to understand.

21. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

I fucking hate reality shows.

But, TUF is tons better than the Contender.

22. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

TUF is full of f*cking arrogant tatooed idiot kids who can't fight for sh*t. Kids who think a bit of highschool wrestling puts them on par with world class Greco wrestlers or something.
    It's all overdramaticized fake bullsh*t IMO. Just like all so-called reality tv.
    If you want to familiarize yourself with MMA AND see real fighting, get the dvds of past events from UFC and Pride and skip all the pointless reality rubbish. The reality sh*t will just dumb down the product overall because the kids on that show are not good for the sport and most of them have no business being inside an MMA cage or ring.

23. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    didnt one of the participants from the last show KO Jens Pulver in less than a minute prior to joining the show?

i think diego sanchez is pretty good.

24. Hanzy

KOing Jens doesn't make you a top dog in the UFC. Look at Bisping this past saturday, look at Kendall Grove in the last UFC ppv. These guys have been heaviliy marketed and hyped but realistically, neither of these guys are worth a sh*t IMO and we're seeing it. Bisping lost to Hamill and looked like sh*t in the process not to mention fighting like a drunk boxer, and Kendall Grove's chin makes f*ckin' Arlovski look like steel. Wimpy f*cker is going nowhere in his career, he's pretty much dead IMO.
    The TUF is garbage! There's no reason for it anymore. It was a genius idea 2 years ago because it spiked interest tenfold but today it's not really necessary since the UFC has found its audience.
    Hughes/Serra should've already happened by now.

25. Bob N. Weave

Wow! Since you don't like it, I guess it's garbage! Ill make sure I don't watch it then!

Get a life. :tease:

26. Hanzy

I never said that YOU shouldn't watch it. I was talking to Reed because he's a noob and needs proper direction.

27. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

No, you can't kick a downed opponent. If a guy has a knee on the ground you can't kick him. Not that I would ever suggest anyone starting that way. (rich franklin might though) :lol:

28. *Z*

You can't deny that some decent fighter came off that series Hanzy!

29. *Z*

1. Bruce is Michael's brother.
    2. Yeah, Houston Alexander is pretty explosive. He's fun to watch for sure.
    3. Nope.
    4. Always upright.
    5. Cro Cop is done for. His confidence is gone.
    6. Light Heavy is probably the deepest division in the UFC right now.
    7. The deaf guy, Matt Hamil had to leave the show because of an injury suffered in a winning effort. The kid is good and I though he beat Bisping as well. I had Hamil winning rounds 1 and 2.
    8. Watch some more fights. Some guys do good bodywork, there just wasn't much of it on this card.

30. Hanzy

The TUF series didn't make these fighters though. With the way it's marketed, you'd get the idea that these guys are fighters because of the UFC. Most of those guys were fighters long before they went on that show. No matter if Dana White wants fans to believe otherwise.