Arum, Goossen discussing Williams-Margarito rematch

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Mitchell Kane, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

From Steve Kim:

So what's next for WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito, who met in mid-July?

"What we're hoping for is the possibility that early next year we can have a rematch between Margarito and Williams," said Arum. "I called Dan today, a condolence call, and he brought that up."

2. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:bears: Props to Williams and Goosen for not being 'scared'...still and all it doesn't matter who wins what titles, if Margarito beats Williams then Cintron, or if Shane kills Cotto, Fraud is da champ fa beating Baldomir :rolleyes: lest ya'll forget.

3. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Great!!! The Fraud will get beat down again by his sparring partner and by the guy who "hasn't defeated anyone and is not worthy to fight me" !! :clap: :clap:

4. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Who'd have thought two years ago that a victory over Carlos Baldomir 24 - 16 - 5 (1 ko) meant supreme welterweight greatness?.. "P4P BY MILES!"...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

It certainly means more than being brutalized by Vince Philips 10-39-2 (0 KOs) and then, later, when Vince gives you a chance to redeem yourself, flat out refusing to even consider it...

6. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

That's not Phillips record. It's far better than Baldomirs.

7. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Stupid move for Williams. All risk and no reward.
    Not to mention even if he beat Magarito again , a hard fight like that can put miles on a fighters body.

8. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

That wasn't Baldomir's record, either, but you didn't seem to object. Why?
    And how is Philips record "far better" than Baldomir's? Based on what? Philips has more losses than Baldomir does.
    When Zoo was fighting Philips, Vince was coming off of a loss.
    When Floyd fought Baldomir, he was coming off of 10-year unbeaten streak.
    See the difference?

9. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager

I thought the same thing. I think though that Paul wants a big fight, and all the other big names are taken as of now at WW. Props for Williams if he takes the fight though, as most wouldn't.

10. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I like it because it says Williams believes since he did it once, he can do it again. In that regard, it's the most lucrative "stay busy" fight he can take (save for maybe a Judah fight), whereas people will wonder why Cintron is wasting his time with the guys he's been fighting as of late when someone like Williams (and Margarito, for that matter) were otherwise available.

My only concern (if I were in Williams' camp, or was that big of a fan) is that you have to wonder how much better he can do than he did in the first fight. It seemed like there was more room for improvement on Margarito's side than the other way around.

I like this fight, curious to see how Arum, Goossen and HBO (or Showtime) make it work.

11. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I can see your point Jake but , one must wonder how intelligent he is by doing this.
    Really if he wins , he already beat him. If he loses or maybe gets stopped , people will just write him off or question him as a fighter.
    If he loses , his career could be haulted for awhile as far as fighting high profile opponents. That is never a smart move.
    Also if he loses , he might tie himself up in a rubber match.
    That could mean "time for the rematch" - "time to fight another warmup" - "time for the rubber match" - "time until his next fight"
    That is a lot of time out of his prime years spent on only Margarito.

12. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. In fact, a rematch makes little sense without something else guaranteed in the future, immediate or otherwise.

Furthermore, staging a rematch in the 1st quarter of 2008 is the worst time, because it gives everyone else an excuse to plan their next fights, early enough in the year to where it's not a long layoff, but deep enough to where the winner of Williams-Margarito II is waiting a long time for their next big fight.

It's a rematch that should've happened later this year if anything. Both parties should've been pushing for the Dec. 1 Showtime slot which is instead presently occupied by a not-so-stellar doubleheader.

13. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Jake is right in thinking there was more room for improvement on Marge's side than Williams, but I think Williams wins again by decision.

I just don't think Margarito is that good.

Margarito is worse than I thought, and Williams is better.

Margarito clearly came on too late in the first fight, but even if he were to start faster, he won't keep up with Williams for the whole 12 rounds.

14. Barristan

Barristan Undisputed Champion

I think Williams beats him easier...Williams was a bit nervous and must have had doubt going into the late rounds seeing as he never went 12 before. In terms of confidence Williams will be the one who improves (mentally).

15. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

If this fight comes off then.... Dave Chappelle 2-0 Margarita.

16. Donnybrook

Donnybrook The Greatest of Are Times

Willful, deliberate trolling. :lol:

17. bigdawg

bigdawg Undisputed Champion

P.O.

This was a first round KO. I'll Holla 5000