How good is the overall quality in MMA?

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by His_Royness, Sep 23, 2007.

1. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I mean what the fuck is up with this year. Top dogs getting beat by bums who then get beat by other bums. The oh so superior Pride fighters get their asses kicked in dozens by mediocre UFC guys...

This shit is inconsistent as hell and IMO that's not because everybody is sooo good that he could beat anybody else and MMA's depth is so big...

I really like watching it, but if the top guys get their asses handed to them on a regular basis then it kinda becomes the boxing heavyweight division... :notallthere:

2. Bob N. Weave

Bob N. Weave WBC Champion

Who are these "bums" that you speak of?

3. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Maybe they're not bums afterall? Maybe on that one particular day, they can perform like top fighters if given the chance? Afterall, didn't Forrest Griffin give Tito Ortiz the fight of his life and, in many views, beat Tito?
    And didn't Jardine KTFO Griffin with punches?
    Realistically, you can't really seperate the 'bums' from the 'hyped' fighters. They margin is so small that on any given day, these 'bums' can tear up the hyped fighters.

4. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

I don't thin there are any BUMS in the UFC....most guys are average decent fighters that could win on any given day...

NOBODY is a superman or unbeatable.....

5. Hanzy

I think the UFC needs to seriously STOP hyping every new face that comes into the Octagon. Be it Shogun, CroCop, Noguira, etc. Just let the cards fall where they may. Marketing these guys as being all that isn't helping anybody, and sure not the reputation of the UFC or MMA in general.

6. His_Royness

Maybe not bums... but overhyped that's really the problem as Hanzy said.

Chuck looked like a bum yesterday, but he might very well be past it. And what the fuck was up with Rua he looked like a complete bum to me.

7. Hanzy

His_Royness, if you could block your ears from the bullsh*t that you hear from the mouths of Rogan, Goldberg, and Dana White, then you'd think that every division is an even playing field. No fighter would stand out, they would all have 50-50 shots at beating eachother.
    We are being told what to think and what to believe. The only way to enjoy the UFC/MMA is to just stop believing in all the hype and let the fights happen. Don't read too deeply into the supposed 'skills' of these hype jobs coming into the octagon.
    No matter what they accomplished on foreign land or in another circuit, they have to prove themselves all over again on new territory.

8. Hanzy

If Keith Jardine vs Wanderlei Silva was to happen tomorrow, that's a 50-50 fight no matter what anybody tells you. No matter if Wandy was a killer in Pride, that's an even matchup.
    Every fight out there is an even matchup. Hell, Couture vs Brad Imes IMO is a 50-50 for all I care. :lol:
    Any of these guys can get taken. I think that's the great thing about reality. Nobody rules!

9. His_Royness

yeah but Rua really beat great competition and he looked like a newbie with no conditioning against Forrest... it's crazy.

10. Hanzy

He got married 2 weeks ago and while Forrest was training, he was on his honeymoon. Obviously he was extremely overconfident since no fighter in the history of this sport or any other sport that I could think of would be getting married with only 2 weeks leading to a fight. But I'm not going to make an excuse on his behalf. Do I think he was capable of a much better perforance? Sure! But he made his bed and he can lay in it.:dunno:
    It's obvious he was in bad physical condition and Forrest was in top notch physical condition. It came down to who was better prepared.

11. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

MMA is the kind of sport where you can get really good really fast.

12. Hanzy

Boxing also is a sport where you can get good really fast if you have some good genes. Remember Michael Grant? :lol: Dude went undefeated leading up to his first title shot against Lennox Lewis.:clap:

13. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

In MMA you have many ways of attack, Boxing only got one: punches. Also it's easier to hang in there in boxing, where you have 10 oz. gloves saving you from the damage a smaller non-paded glove can allow. You can get KO'ed by a punch easily. Guys with decent strenght and agility can easily learn the basic moves for around 2 years and beat anyone on any given day. Look at Brock Lesnar, he won his first fight. Look at those TUF fighters, they just train a little and there they are beating the top names. Experience is not much help in MMA as physical tools is.

14. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

MMA is not like boxing. EVERYONE has losses, and the ones who don't YET,......will. It is the way the sport is.

Too many variables to MMA for any fighter no matter how good he is to win every time if he fights often and against top competition....kinda like baseball in a way.

15. Hanzy

True. The worst thing for MMA fighters is that they're branded bums when they lose. This isn't like pro boxing where most of these f*ckers can go 35-0, padding their sh*tty records till they finally step up to somebody decent. In MMA, you can be fighting back to back to back top 10 fighters.
    You're not going to see Chavez Jr type fighters in MMA handpicking their own opposition for 30+ fights.

16. Hanzy

What about cardio? Shogun was huffing and puffing in only the 2nd round, Griffin had enough to go a full five. Somebody got tired quicker than the other guy and that cost him the fight.:dunno:

17. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

exactly.

You get it. Most people don't.

MMA and boxing are very, very different sports in alot of ways.

18. Hanzy

Well the difference is boxing isn't a private organization owned by 1 guy. Hell it's global and fighters can go and handpick whoever they want to and still get their names in the top 10 lists enroute to title shots. The UFC has a limited number of fighters under their payroll in each division.
    I mean for example, somebody like CroCop would need a japanese tomato can as a tune up after getting his head kicked to the moon by Gonzaga. But the best tune up they could find him was a 6'4, 240lb mountain of muscle named Chiek Kongo. :lol:
    There's the problem with the UFC. You just can't get easy tuneups these days, even after a loss.
    In boxing, you're free to pick whoever the hell you want.