A Few Thoughts on UFC 76

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by admin, Sep 24, 2007.

1. admin

admin has left the building

Well, last night was pretty crazy for the MMA community. I’ve never seen such major “whowouldathunkit†fights back to back. First, Forrest Griffin impresses everybody & proves that he’s a bit “TUFer†than consensus #1 Light Heavyweight in the world, Mauricio “Shogun†Rua. Then, the most dominant Light Heavyweight in UFC history, Chuck “The Iceman†Liddell is outclassed on his feet by a heavy underdog in Keith “The Dean of Mean†Jardine. The entire Light Heavyweight division is now a big question mark. UFC matchmaker Joe Silva has his hands full for the next couple of months trying to figure this mess out. Here’s my thoughts on a crazy night of UFC action:

http://mmablog.fightbeat.com/?p=22

2. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

If these Pride guys were juicing over in Japan, then Shogun and Fedor didn't get busted when they fought here in Vegas. Shogun fought here twice and nobody found anything.

3. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Then Forrest Griffin is just that good? :lol:

You have to suspect something is up with the Pride guys.

4. Hanzy

Well when news came out along with photos of Shogun marrying his girlfriend 2 weeks ago leading to the Forrest fight, that right there showed me just how seriously he took Forrest. Normally a guy would get married AFTER the fight.:dunno:
    Plus to see him gassing out badly only into the 2nd round was also very strange to see.
    On a positive note though, Noguira, Rampage, and Anderson are in the win column so not all hope is lost on Pride's former fighters. There's also Wanderlei out there yet to make his debut, Mark Hunt is coming in very soon, and Fedor should be here by late Fall.

5. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

A certain element of MMA fan is always gonna shit on TUF fighters, no matter how good, or bad, they are. Griffin is a lot better then many give him credit for, as he proved against Shogun.

Now, that may not have been the best Shogun you'll ever see out there, or even close to it, but part of being a great fighter is coming into the fight prepared every time out, and Griffin does that, and taking advantage of your opponent if he doesn't, which Griffin did.

Who knows, if they fought 10 times, Shogun might win 9. But the bottom line is, he lost the first time.

I'm a Forrest Griffin fan. He's not the best fighter out there, and he admits that himself all the time. But he comes to fight every time out, has an exciting style, doesn't lay and pray, and gives it his all every fight.

A lot of people like to compare Griffin to Arturo Gatti, because of their balls out styles, but the big difference between the two is, Gatti has the KO power that Griffin doesn't seem to have.

To me, I'd compare Griffin to Troy Dorsey. They both come out swinging, never stop punching, don't have exceptional power, and are usually covered in their own blood within the first minute of the fight.

I wonder what's next for Griffin. A shot at Rampage? A rematch with Tito? A fight with Houston Alexander? A rematch with Jardine?

Right now, the 205 division in the UFC is beyond stacked. You have Griffin, Jardine, Alexander, Shogun, Rampage, Tito, Evans, Liddell, Machida, etc. There is absolutely no reason why the end of 2007 and all of 2008 shouldn't be filled with great fights at 205.

TFK

6. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    Does anyone seriously think the Pride guys weren't doing roids?:lol: That's the whole reason Josh Barnett went there. UFC stripped him of the HW belt for a positive test and he went to pride where they don't test.

7. Hanzy

Yes but when Pride came to Vegas twice last year, all the fighters were tested and only Randleman and a couple of other guys tested positive.:dunno:

8. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    I heard Barnett's test turned out to be negative but the UFC jumped the gun and fired him.Is there any proof of this?

9. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    no that is just a rumor. I live in the Pacific Northwest where Barnett is from. He trained under Matt Hume which I have met. Barnett got caught, he didn't protest it, he just left to Pride where they didn't test.