Rampage bullied on Xbox

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Beyond the Grave, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...of_online.html

In real life, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson of the Ultimate Fighting Championships is the Light Heavyweight Champion and one of the last guys in the world a 15-year old kid would probably want to mess with.

But over a cable Internet connection playing the Xbox game "Halo 2," Jackson was an easy target.

In the June 2007 issue of Dub magazine, Jackson revealed that he stopped playing Halo 2 online, which is one of his favorite games, because of negative experiences he had with members of his own teams.

"I stopped because my own team would kill me because they would hear my voice and start calling "(N-word) this and (N-word) that," Jackson said. "If you was right next to me at the arcade, you wouldn't say nothing. I don't even tell them who I am, but I just forgive them for being ignorant."

You have to be impressed with Jackson's ability to take the insults in stride, especially considering how easy it would be for him to fire back and get into his own war of words over the headset, but as Jackson knows, it just wouldn't be worth it. A grown man isn't going to get into a war of words with a presumably young kid over a video game.

This is a situation I have also witnessed on the game Socom 2 for Playstation 2, and the verbal abuse I heard was definitely not something I would wish on anyone.

My team of eight players was comprised of about three African-American and four Caucasian players, as well as myself, a Caucasian. The black players were talking about strategy for a certain level and where to attack the opposing team, and one of the white players jumped in and made fun of his voice. The black player objected and the white player called him the N-word much like in Jackson's story.

A fight broke out in the game between teammates and it was basically a mini-race riot online in the game. I actually joined in on the black players' sides and killed off the antagonizers a few times before they finally left.

These incidents are more harmful than they may appear to some, because they could compromise how the harassed player feels towards the outside world, as if the players on the other end of the cable Internet connection were revealing their true feelings because of the fact that they wouldn't have to face the real consequences normally associated with such verbal attacks. All it takes is one bad experience to cast a cloud of suspicion over other people, and justifiably so.

Many teenagers who play online games do so to blow off frustration and release aggression from the rigors of school and everyday life, especially the violent ones like Halo 2. Online games give them an outlet and a simulated experience of how tough and cocky they can be; a virtual proving ground they use to express their male dominance. Many of these kids view gaming as a way to show off how dominant or superior they can be over another group. Of course, that doesn't come anywhere close to excusing such behavior.

2. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    that's very true. people often show their true colors online especially when the opposing end is unaware of who you are.

3. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    Of course, it just shows what a true pussy is.

4. holler

holler WBC Champion

Thats why I mute everybody on XBL or only play with friends. All the retards and racists seem to congregate there and on youtube.

The internet has really provided a way for little 12 year olds to big dickheads annonymously. I can't wait until this generation of kids are all grown up - it's going to be a mess.

5. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't know what the big deal is. That same racism sh*t happens even on this board, hell it happens everywhere. Why get irate over a video game? Every motherf*cker on the net is a badass and all behind the safety of a screen name.
    As long as your anonymous, you're free to say whatever you want. Just hope some crazy f*ck doesn't track you down and kill your family.:eeeek:

6. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

yeah..you hear the the n-word alot on Xbox......usually from teenage little fags...who wouldn't use the word infront of a person of coloured or anyone else in real life...:crafty:

7. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

In Socom i was in a clan with alot of people...80+ Klansman...:lol:..and plenty of them were afro american..:rolleyes:..and from cleveland..so they had an accent..the minute we started a clan war/battle..the word ******S will come out...:doh:...fucking ******s...stupid ******s who you stole this from..etc..

8. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

what a stupid article

9. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:

Here's your prize for trying to be different:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

:lol:

11. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Stinger needs to have a serious talk with Rampage. He can't keep letting these annonymous little cyberpunks talk to him like that.

12. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

"Hello guys i pick a select group of you people i wanna know if you wanna join RAW the awesome clan here...assuming you are not BLACK. Thanx if you wanna join let me know send me a message back..."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    People do that crap all of the time. I've heard it.