Serra Injured, Withdraws From UFC 79 Card

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Mitchell Kane, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8808

2. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Oh man, now that sucks.

I wonder if they're gonna find a replacement for Serra to face Hughes, or if they'll just push the bout up a month or so.

TFK

3. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Maybe they'll do both.

4. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Herniated disc in his back. If that's the injury, I've seen people who've never recovered fully. I think Hughes/Serra may be off for good.:dunno:
    Not that I give a sh*t about the fight. I mean this fight should've happened 6 months ago. They don't still need a tv reality show to hype a f*cking fight, they're making big business now. This isn't 2005 where fans were still discovering the UFC brand.
    It just shows how the fact that they're still using a reality show to hype a fight makes the UFC still look like a laughable pro wrestling company like the WWE as opposed to a real legitimate sport.

5. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    So you want Hughes to fight twice in a month or so?

It would only be worth it if he got knocked teh fuck out both times. Man, what an unlikable guy. :lol:

6. TFK

Hanzy, you can't deny TUF has made Serra a star. Before TUF, he was barely known. But him being cast as a 'likable, down to earth, regular guy' in TUF have done more for his career then his destruction of GSP ever did.

I think it was a bad move to put off the fight for so long, but it is what it is. Hopefully Serra can come back from his injury sooner rather then later, and the fight can happen.

Like it or not, you have to realize that TUF is just as much a part of UFC as their PPV's are. It's what has allowed them to skyrocket in popularity. It has helped not only develop new stars like Forrest Griffin, Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, etc, but it allowed veiwers to get to be exposed to a different side of established stars like Randy Couture, Rich Frankin, Matt Hughes, etc.

I don't think TUF makes UFC look anything like WWE at all. I see it as a brilliant marketing tool which is more responisble for UFC's mainstream popularity then anything else.

TFK

7. TFK

That just proves my previous post. Did anyone know anything about Matt Hughes before TUF other then his fighting ability? No.

But since TUF gave fans a closer look at Hughes outside the octogon, it has allowed them to make an emotional investment in him, that leads to people wanting to see him fight.

Hughes has been cast as 'the bad guy', while Serra, a naturally likable guy, has been cast as 'the good guy'. None of that could've happened without TUF.

TFK

8. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    Sorry TFK. You absolutely without a doubt just proved Hanzy's point:kick:

I like the TUF series, its a good watch for the most part. But it does give the UFC a sort of WWE esk vibe, good or bad.