Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by whiskey, Dec 23, 2007.

1. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Didn't see a thread about it so i thought i'd start one.

I think Rampage is simply a better fighter than Liddell. The result to me doesn't mean anything when it comes to the level Chuck is at. However he looked like a complete amateur against Jardine. I don't know if it's because he took him lightly, or is just done as a fighter.

I've heard Wanderlei lost his last two fights as well but i haven't seen them. Did he lose because he's past his best, or is there a lot more to the story?

And of course the main question is, who's going to win and why?

2. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Silva will win by KO, I think.

3. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    Silva was BRUTALLY knocked out by Dan Henderson....He got caught, and dropped like a ton of bricks

Silva was BRUTALLY knocked out by Mirco Cro Cop....He got caught, and dropped like a ton of bricks

That being said, I dont think as badly of his losses as I do Lidells.....Henderson is a dynamite puncher, and Cro Cop, is well, Cro Cop....

Silva is gonna probably come in smaller than Chuck.....Chuck is pretty big for a 205er, Wandy isnt all that big.....Chuck packs more power, Wandy is more versatile and more skilled....Wandy is all pressure, Chuck is a counterpuncher.....

Its gonna be a great fight....someone is getting put out

4. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    wow, I i didn't expect you to go all Donnybrook on us.

When it comes down to it, Silva is simply a better fighter than Liddell. Chuck came along at the right time and was at the right place, and was matched carefully. 10 years from now, fighters like Chuck won't be very succesfull in mma.

5. atomicdOGg34

atomicdOGg34 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

student
    Home Page:
    problem with silva is he has the tendancy to come in reckless

its a possibility hell get caught

i expect him to win though, better all around fighter

6. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Fighters like Chuck already aren't very succesful in MMA. In fact, he's one of the last remaining fighters that succesfully relies almost solely on keeping the fight standing, along with Crocop, who also has seen better days.

I agree that Silva is/was the better fighter, but Silva has looked much shotter than Chuck even. He gasses within like 1 minute !! Chuck I think will play it out and KO him in the second round.

7. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

If Chuck has been training instead of being on another coke bender, he should beat Silva.

TFK

8. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

It's going to be much more difficult for Wanderlei to employ his ruthless in your face bullcharging style on Liddell looking at the size and space of the octagon compared to the small Pride ring. I can see Liddell catching him good with a counter as Wanderlei gets reckless much in the same way as the Wanderlei/CroCop II fight.
    The way to beat Wanderlei is to be patient, look for openings and strike. Don't fight his fight.:nono:
    I'd say Liddell wins through a TKO in the 2nd round. Although I'm cheering for Wanderlei to win with a blistering KO.:clap: It's bad enough having so many Pride fighters bite the dust in the octagon and making the Pride brand look bad.
    I hope Wanderlei has a gameplan instead of just head hunting and throwing recklessly.

9. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    I'm feelin you for the most part but I disagree about him being matched carefully.Its just that the fighters at 205 at the time of Chucks reign was all great matchups for him,nothing but ground fighters at the time with worse standup fighting than his.

10. Beyond the Grave

Beyond the Grave Undisputed Champion

steel maker
    Home Page:
    Wanderlei looks ALOT!! leaner for this fight,he looks like the fighter that made his debut in Pride which means he's going to rely on speed to beat Liddell and IMO thats not a bad idea.

11. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

Silva woulda beat him then........and he'll beat him now.

Liddell is a tough SOB with a fantastic takedown defense, but very one dimensional and very average in a MMA sort of way.

12. Hanzy

Liddell is 38 years old too. Age is going to be a factor not to mention he seems to have no control over that beer belly no matter how much training he does.:lol:

13. Bob N. Weave

Bob N. Weave WBC Champion

Liddell is shot. Although Wanderlei is not far behind, I think he gonna take this one.

14. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Liddell obviously has a great sprawl. I've only seen him on the mat a couple of times and he's still managed to get to his feet.

Everybody knew Jardine wasn't going to make it a wrestling match which was an additional reason to heavily favor Liddell.

I'm assuming that Wanderlei will try to take it to the ground, but if they stay standing does that automatically mean Silva loses?

15. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    I seriously doubt wandy goes for a takedown....He's gonna try to come in and overwhelm with a huge flurry....

I havent seen wandy go for a take down in ages, and I dont see anyway that he could get chuck down even if he wanted to

16. Hanzy

Since Wandy left ChuteBoxe and has hooked up with Couture, we may expect more ground work/takedown attempts from him. Couture's been praising Wandy's strength/work ethic.

17. Explosivo

Explosivo Undisputed Champion

Chuck has always had a bit of a paunch...but recently it is ridiculous.

Not because that is the way he's built as much as he has gotten lazy, and like to party way too much.

18. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    crocop was much bigger than he was and always has been. silva supposedly had a fever going into the henderson rematch.

lidell is old and appears to be done. silva had a lot of time off and should be rejuvenated at least enough to beat lidell.

19. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    No and no.

20. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    whiskey must have never seen silva fight.

21. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Silva has way more skill then Lidell he should win easy. It is possible that his chin is shot after 2 KO loses and that he runs into one of them sloppy wide punches and gets KTFO but i dout it.