Calzaghe Question...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by REEDsART, Feb 28, 2008.

1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Will he Have NEAR as Many RABID Fans Traveling w/Him as Hatton Did???...

Will Calzaghe's FanBase Come SUPPORT him N America as Hatton's Did???...Can Calzaghe Anticipate the "Home Court Advantage" that Hatton Had vs. Floyd???...

REED:dunno:

2. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    calzaghe seems to have classier fans compared to hatton's illiterate drunkard mancunians.

it won't be nearly as close imo. hatton's clearly the bigger draw.

3. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    I think Calzaghe and Hopkins will be a box office disaster and I hope it is with those ticket prices.

4. Method

Method Scrub

"Those ticket prices"?

$1,500 for Ringside, scaling back accordingly the further you are from the ring? I thought those ticket prices were a bargain compared for the $15,000 ringside they were charging for Jones/Trinidad, proof postive validated by the fact that they had to resort to giving tickets away the day of the fight to fill in empty seats.

5. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

funny thing is, Hopkins dreamed of doing it in the Yankee Stadium :lol:

6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Yep...

Cause N REALITY, it was NEVER Happening...They WOULDN'T Sell-Out the 3rd Base Section of Yankee Stadium...

REED:cool:

7. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

they won't sell many tickets...and will give them out free at the end....

8. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

it's completely retarded not to have the fight in Wales

9. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

not for Hopkins it isn't.......

10. bigdawg

bigdawg Undisputed Champion

P.O.
    Why? Do European fighters make more money fighting in Europe then they do in the US? I'll Holla 5000

11. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Hatton sure didn't but I am sure some of them do. A guy like Ottke got paid well in germany and wouldn't have made shit in the states.

12. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

The simple answer is NO

Joe has a large fan base in the UK (especially in Wales), but it is not in the same league as Hatton's. Which is odd, because he is clearly the better fighter of the two...

13. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

yeah but Ottke had to be sure to pay off all the judges...and ref in his fights...that cuts into a dawg money......

14. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

What MTF said. Calzaghe is without a doubt the better fighter, but he's NEVER had the same level of support and fandom Hatton has.

Ever since Hatton was a novice he's had a lot of hype and buzz, and been very popular here in England.

For some reason Calzaghe has never really had that.

15. adamiw

adamiw Undisputed Champion

yeah it is not as big, but it has probably grown over the last couple of years when he has had more mainstream coverage, eventually leading to him winning the 2007 sports personality of the year (not that he was up against much)

A lot of fans will go over, but not to the level of Hatton, maybe 2/3rds or half that amount.....still considerable support

16. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Bullshit revisionism.
    1st: Fan base isn't always related to how good a guy is, but even if it were...

2nd: If Hatton had beaten Floyd would you say that Calz was clearly better? No way. In fact, it would be a lot easier to say just the opposite.

17. meetthefeebles

Basically, yup.

Joe has spent about 90% of his career fighting on Sky Sports, which has nothing like the sort of coverage of terrestrial TV. Joe only started to get a major, mainstream fan base when his fight against Lacy was shown on ITV.

The main reason why he doesn't have the sort of fandom that Hatton does is that Hatton has that whole 'man of the people' thing going on. Ricky is the working class guy made good, who fights mega-bucks fights in Vegas and then goes to the pub in Manchester and sinks a load of pints and plays darts with his mates.

Joe has never had that. For a start, he is Welsh, so his hardcore fan base is in the principality, which is only about three times the size of Manchester (population wise), let alone England. And he comes across as quite aloof. He doesn't have that same sort of 'personality' as Ricky.

For all of that, if this fight was in the UK, he'd sell it out no problem at all. Calzaghe- Kessler sold near 50000 seats. I just can't imagine him taking as many with him as Hatton. 'Sports Personality of the Year' or no.

18. mikE

Agree.

19. meetthefeebles

Joe Calzaghe is my favourite fighter at the minute. Has been for years. I would say he is better than Hatton, regardless of whether or not Hatton beat fucking Lennox Lewis, let alone Floyd.

I LIKE Hatton- always have. But he is in no way, shape or form a better fighter than Joe. Hatton does what he does, but Calzaghe is a classy, crisp and unique fighter.

Also, I never said that fan base is related to how 'good' a guy is. I already said that Hatton owes his fandom to his working class roots. Did you miss that part, or did you just read the parts which suited your opinion? :dunno:

20. mikE

Yeah, you did: "Joe has a large fan base in the UK (especially in Wales), but it is not in the same league as Hatton's. Which is odd, because he is clearly the better fighter of the two..."
    I think you need to take a look back at this thread--in order--before getting stuffy.

21. meetthefeebles

In my defense, I appear to be posting about a post ahead of you and you keep touching on points I am in the process of clarifying... :lol:

I clarified my first post with my second, which you agreed with as I was typing my third post. It all got a bit confusing, methinks, especially as we basically said the same thing in the end.

Apologies for my part :doh:

That said, I don't do 'bullshit revisionism' Calzaghe has always been better.

22. mikE

haha...it seems this might be the only thing we disagree on and you might be right, but prior to Collazo and Lacy, Hatton had shown zero vulnerability, and had the Tszyu win which most would say was better than any on Joe's resume.

23. valdosta

Home Page:
    You don't think Hatton showed vulnerability against Eammon Magee?

24. mikE

It was a flash kd, as I remember, and he didn't lose (m)any(?) other rounds, did he?

Edit: Boxrec shows him losing 2 to 3 more rounds. I don't remember Hatton having trouble, though. Hmm.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  25. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hatton's a bigger draw so I don't think it will be quite as big with Calzaghe. I'm thinking Calzaghe will have more people cheering for him since Hopkins has made himself out to be the "bad guy" if you will.

By the way REED, how do you see this fight unfolding?.. Who wins and why??.

26. valdosta

Home Page:
    He was hurt again in round 2. Actually he was hurt worse in round 2 than 1 IMO. I don't need boxrec I watched the fight. Hatton won clearly by outworking Magee but he didn't land much clean and got hit by some nice counter shots. I would say he certainly looked vulnerable in that fight though.

27. meetthefeebles

In truth and IMO, the correct supposition is somewhere in the middle.

I also watched the Magee fight, and it was the first fight in which Ricky looked like he could be hurt. If memory serves, those first two rounds were pretty haren-scarem. That said, he still ended up winning handily. I suppose you could say he looked 'vulnerable', but the KD was more of a balance/flash KD and after a shaky opening Hatton looked pretty comfortable.

I have the fight (as I do all Hatton's fights) on DVD, so if you think I'm wrong, I'll happily re-watch with an ale tomorrow and reconsider if required... :dunno: :cheer:

28. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I just hope he gets raped like bitch ass HAtton did.. Hatton acted like a dick and got what he had coming.. now it's joe CRAPZAGAs turn

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

R there Any COOL Calzaghe Chants????:lol: ...

"There's Ooonly Oooooonnnne!"

REED:cheer:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  30. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Calzaghe is italian, rather than white....so he wouldnt attract those same racist fans