Versus Thursday night

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I'm surprised none has mentioned that Thursday night... Anthony Peterson was in action. As was Vanes Martyisoan(sp?).

Neither guy gave thier best performance, but I feel like that dickhead Wally Mathews was way too critical of Peterson. Matthews was ragging on Ant every second, and trying to diminish him simply because Peterson couldnt stop him. Granted Trejo has never been legitmately stopped in his career. Peterson didnt blow him out, but Matthews was overly critical, making it seem as if Peterson was struggling or something. Peterson won a shutout in workman like fashion. Peterson is still very young(23) and will get better. He isnt ready for the likes of Casa, Campbell, or Juan Diaz just yet, but I think by this time next year he will be.

As for Vanes, it was my first time getting a look at him. I cant say I was overly impressed, but I did see potential. Hernandez gave a disgraceful performance IMO and was just thier to survive and clown around after getting dropped in the first. Vanes from what I saw has a good jab, good right hand, and keeps his poise pretty well. His defense, and combination punching though still needs to improve.

He can be put along with Angulo, and Kirkland as one of the hot young prospects at 154. I probably wouldnt pick him over those guys right now, but he probably will have a longer prime. Kirkland, and Angulo because of thier styles will burn out quickly. But they'll be hella fun to watch while thier still young.

Thoughts?

2. Hitman

Hitman Undisputed Champion

I was getting very angry with the commentary during this fight, I didn't think it was really warranted at all and it really sucked the energy out of the fight. Peterson didn't stop him but he pretty much dominated and gave a very good overall performance imo. i think Julio Diaz would be a perfect next fight for anthony and i like him to win that fight.

i missed the prelim fight but i am sure the commentary was awful throughout as well

3. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    matthews is a cretinoid

4. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

agree with all and you are correct about the prelim fight commentary.
    Martirosyan is better than he showed in this fight. Quite a bit better and he completely dominated. However, the stupid twit went to the body as much as Ali, i.e. not at all. That's a big mistake and imo, the sole reason the fight went the distance.

5. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Agreed completely. Peterson shut him out and with no trouble at all. I can understand Matthews being critical had he gone life and death with Trejo, but he didnt. And Trejo obviously had a helluva chin.

Peterson will beat WHOlio Diaz I agree. He has the talent to beat Juan Diaz also, but he's not quite ready as of yet.

Its no rush though. He's only 23 and has yet to reach his prime.

6. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Peterson's performance was apparently enough to cost him a spot on the Clottey-Judah undercard.

Dan Rafael is reporting that HBO rejected the fight...but if it's made they would show highlights. :bangh: