Hopkins: Pavlik is great, but I don't think he's a Felix Trinidad and I beat him!

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Hex-One, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Via Fightnews!:

B-Hop trainer stuns Pavlik fans!
    Nazim Richardson, chief trainer of Bernard Hopkins, played the psyche game perfectly when he asked hundreds of Kelly Pavlik fans at a Youngstown pep rally "....look at all of you and all of the nice signs and posters...but are you still going to love Kelly after the fight? Will you show the same affection for Kelly after Bernard is through with him on October 18? I really hope you do, but I am not sure." The big hometown crowd jeered and booed. Richardson laughed it off and returned to his seat on the dais. Hopkins stated, "Let me make one thing perfectly clear. See if you can comprehend this: I am the greatest defensive fighter of our era. I win fights I am not supposed to win. Pavlik is great, but I don't think he's a Felix Trinidad and I beat him." Jack Loew, chief trainer for Pavlik said "there's a lot of talk coming from their side. The truth is, we have the best middleweight champ and best fighter in the world in Kelly Pavlik." ...Pavlik vs. Hopkins is scheduled Oct 18 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Caesars Atlantic City is hosting.

I can't stand Hopkins but I'm picking him to school Pavlik in a surprisingly easy fight.

:kick:
    [/FONT]

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Hop will purely be trying to survive in this fight.

3. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

I hate this fight for PAVLIK....but i like the fight and will probably order if it's on PPV...

Hopkins could very well beat Pavlik...
    or
    Pavlik might be the first to KO HOPKINS...

I'm going with Hopkins by Decision or late TKO...:doh:

4. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    I agree. Hopkins is going to expose allot of Pavlik's flaws. I won't count out Hopkins in this one!

5. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Are you out of your mind? Hopkins is a senior citizen now. He will be in survival mode all night. He will probably manage to finish on his feet on a one-sided unanimous decision for Pavlik.

6. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes;

You guys think very little of Pavlik. I mean the guy isn't smoke and mirrors... he isn't chopped liver ya know!

Hopkins is great and I thnk he beat Joe by landing the better punches but Pavlik is solid enough to win the way they said Jermaine did.

7. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    What an insult to Pavlik. Pavlik is already more accomplished than Trinfraud. At least, Kelly faced the best he could and won. Anyway, ARUM is done. Pavlik is one of my current favorites but he isn't that great. I think Hopkins might win. I'd favor Hopkins actually.

8. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

Hops will win the ring-generalship battle & land more clean shots.
    However Pavlik will win the fight based on being more agressive, & throwing more punches, which people will prefer, as they will think that Hops will be stinking.

Unless Hops grows really old for this fight, I see Pavlik as too slow & easy to counter, and Hops as too crafty to get hit with consecutive punches, & having too good of a chin to get stopped by one shot.
    So IMO Pav won't stop him.

We also saw how Joe's amazing workrate got dramatically affected by Hops.
    I think this will be a very close fight, with Hops controling the pace, countering & avoiding getting hit by consecutive shots, probably landing the cleaner blows, but a very controvesial dec win for Pav based on agressiveness, throwing more punches & the fact that people are sick of Hops and see him as a "stinker" (which he is now).

9. Free Ike

None
    Exactly. People don't understand how hard it is to fight someone who does not want to fight. They make comments like Pea made DLH look bad and other nonsense. I actually think Pavlik will be so disgusted with Hopkins' emasculated style he will shut down. I can't believe Arum signed this fight. He must hate Pavlik. I can't think of a matchup that could be worse for boxing.Hopkins is terrible on the eyes.If Kelly doesn't kayo Hopkins it is a loss. If he loses, he is done as a superstar. He will never recover and he could lose rather easily.

10. admin

admin has left the building

if B-Hops wins I see a rematch with Tito in the works

11. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Hopkins isn't going to win. I don't know what some of you are watching. "Unless Hopkins looks old blah,blah,blah", Hopkins looked fucking horrible in his last fight and IS old. His timining,accuracy and stamina all looked like shit.

12. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

Pretty impressive to give Calzaghe his closest fight, & knock him down, (even though he did show his bitch side), not to mention, widely UD Winky, & shutout RJJ's daddy with shit timing/accuracy.
    Hops is a stinker, but he's hard to beat.

13. valdosta

Home Page:
    I didn't see Hopkins-Calzaghe as being that close. I had Calzaghe winning 8 rounds. Robin Reid and Kessler both won as many or more rounds against Calzaghe. Either way after the first 3 rounds Hopkins looked absolutely horrible. There's not "getting old", he's already there and it more than shows.

14. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    rubbish matchup.

15. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

I don't know why people are bitching about this fight.

You have to consider the alternatives. I rather watch Pavlik against Hopkins because there is some level of challenge even if it's not that watchable.

Instead of watching Pavlik destroy Locket, possibly Rubio or hell Arum even considered Mayorga to fight Pavlik. All those fights are meaningless and stupid.

Beating Hopkins still means something. Not to mention if Pavlik manages to KO Hopkins something nobody has done.

16. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager

Well said and I agree.

I see Hop trying to look slick in this fight, and when he tastes a straight right from Pavlik, we will see him go into survival mode and try to stink out the fight. Pavlik's youth, hunger, and a little bit of anger will win this fight for him.

17. MassaCure

MassaCure Undisputed Champion

why is knock out an option, when is the last time we have even seen hops in trouble of being knocked out, kelly isnt that good of a fighter

18. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Some of Ya'll R UNDERESTIMATING How TOUGH, AGGRESSIVE & PERSISTENT Pavlik Is...

U're Also MINIMIZING how BAD Bernard Looked N his Fights w/Winky & Calzaghe...

Sorry, but Bernard LOOKs & FIGHTS like he's IN his 40's these Days...It's MOST Telling N his WORKRATE...Bernard CAN'T Throw Alot of Shots Anymore...

Pavlik will FORCE Bernard to Throw MORE than he Wants to Early OR Spend Time CATCHING Shots...& if Bernard is Doing that, he's in TROUBLE...

Pavlik WON'T B Deterred by Counters, Movement or even a Knockdown or 2...It's Gonna Take EVERYTHING Bernard Can Muster to Stay AWAY from or Keep Pavlik OFF of Him...

REED likes Pavlik by a LATE Stoppage (11th or 12th Round) or a UD...

REED:hammert:

19. Free Ike

None
    I don't think Pavlik is good. I honestly was shocked that he beat JT and I didn't think he was super good either. Don't get me wrong. I think Pavlik and Pacquiao are 1 and 1a my favorite fighters. I think of Pavlik as more exciting than good. That is why I think Bhop has a chance. Pavlik is much worse than Winky and Calzaghe imo.

20. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

not because it's likely to happen.

More because Hopkins is old, looks old and Pavliks' best chance is a KO. Pavlik is not gonna outbox or outsmart Hopkins. His best chance is a KO.

21. valdosta

Home Page:

Pavlik actually throws punches, it's not like he can't win a decision. Hopkins isn't real hard to outwork. He can only fight about 1 minute a round now.

22. Free Ike

None
    I agree. Kelly is exciting but he isn't good. He is tough and fun to watch but I don't see it. It doesn't mean he isn't. I just don't see it.

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Well, Some of the More ASTUTE Fightbeaters KNEW of Pavlik's Prowess WELL N Advance...

Personally, REED's Been a Fan Since he DESTROYED Dorian Beaupierre on Shobox, Several Years Ago...

REED Started a Kelly Pavlik Bandwagon PRIOR to Pavlik MANHANDLING Edison Miranda, when even HBO was HYPING Miranda...THEN, REED Predicted THE EXACTfuckingROUND that Pavlik would KO Jermain Taylor...REED did this via Article AND the Fightbeat Radio Show...REED Even Said he WOULDN'T B Surprised if Taylor Hurt or Dropped Pavlik N the Process...

Point is, Kelly Pavlik is VERY Good...His Only Weaknesses R his LACK of SPEED & DEFENSE...But he Makes Up For it w/PRESSURE, TIMING & a HIGH Workrate...

Calzaghe Never HURT Hopkins, but his WORKRATE KEPT Bernard Defensive...Pavlik Will Bring the SAME Volume of Punches, Only he'll B MORE Aggressive N his Delivery...

PRIME Bernard Hopkins would UNANIMOUSLY Beat Pavlik OR Stop him Late...But TODAY's Version of Bernard is Waaaaaaaaaay Toooooooo DEFENSIVE Minded to Cope w/a YOUNG, STRONG, AGGRESSIVE, HARD Volume Punching Guy like Pavlik...

UNLIKE the Calzaghe Fight, Bernard WON'T B Feeling BitchSlaps...He'll B Feeling POWERFUL Right Crosses, Left Jabs AND Left Hooks...

Pavlik is a GOOD Boxer, but Again, his SPEED & DEFENSE Detract from his Skillset...

REED:hammert:

24. Free Ike

None
    Perhaps. Pavlik just seems so simple to me. It could be the case that he is one of those guys that looks easy to beat but isn't. I always thought he could crack. I remember lauging at people saying Miranda hit harder than Pavlik. I knew he had power starting with the Beaupierre as well. Btw, I hope Pavlik stops Bernard and hurts him so he never fights again.

25. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

agREED...

Kelly Pavlik is BASIC...Left Jabs, Right Cross when he's Close, Left Hook Behind it...Uppercuts or MORE Hooks from There...

But Pavlik is Basic N a GOOD Way...When Executed WELL, Boxing ISN'T Complicated...That's Kelly Pavlik N a Nutshell...

Some Fighters, like DeLa for Instance, have Spent their ENTIRE CAREERS Stuck N btwn Styles...w/Pavlik, there's NO Such Issues...He's Gonna DO what he's Done Until Somebody MAKES him Do Something Different...

& Bernard Hopkins ISN'T that Guy...Not @ this Stage of his Career, Anyways...

REED:mj:

26. pug

pug WBC Champion

At first I really couldnt get into this fight because I am growing tired of Hopkins fighting for a few rounds, then not fighting the rest of the fight and then bitching about the scores.
    That is until Delahoya announced his fight with Pacquiao:lol:
    Then I realized that this wasnt as bad as I thought.
    Hopkins will be very game early but if he doesnt KO Pavlik within 2-3 rounds I see Kelly taking it.
    Hopkins will always be a fighter, but he is NOT a 12 round fighter anymore.

27. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think I´ll bet a a little on a DQ ending. The odds will be off the charts and Hopkins already showed aganst Calzaghe, that he´ll do everything not to get KTFO, including faking low blows. When Pavlik is about to take his exhausted old butt out around the 8th/9th round, he´ll throw Pavlik out of the ring, bite him, knee him in the groin, lowblow him five times or some shit like that.

28. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Kelly Pavlik is sort of basic, but I question how much you know about the game if you think he is THAT basic.

He is basic in a good way, a solid 1 - 2 fighter, with patience, poise, accuracy, timing, a good punch arsenal, and power.

He also paces himself very well, knows what punch to throw at what time, parries and counters very well.

He's a technically good fighter. Technically better than Taylor for example, who has some talent, but is generally a jittery mess.

It was Kelly's sound, technical - albeit basic - boxing that enabled him to beat Taylor twice.

He is the modern day King Carlos.

29. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Agreed...and I can't see Hopkins doing anything bar trying to survive against him. He's too damn old and his workrate is tiny now

MTF

30. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Agreed. Unless I absolutely overrate Pavlik, he should win rather convincingly.