Jones\Sheika - Lashley\Guida payouts

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by TFK, Mar 24, 2009.

1. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14343/mar...oy-jones-jr-and-bobby-lashley-top-earners.mma

Interesting to say the least.

TFK

2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

sheika is earning mma money, cool.

3. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

50k to fight Roy Jones WTF

4. royyjonesjrp4pno1

royyjonesjrp4pno1 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Thats a pretty expensive payout actually. Roy probably either lost money or broke even at best.

5. royyjonesjrp4pno1

6. adamiw

adamiw Undisputed Champion

anyone catch the Lashley fight?....how do you rate his MMA career prospects?

7. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I watched it. Boring lay and pray. He fought a much smaller dude and didn't inflict a lot of damage. He's not Brock Lesnar but his size and athleticism will carry him for a while.

8. TFK

For starters, you never see entire payouts for boxing PPV's. I've been asking for them forever, and it's nice to finally see one.

It also is an example of, once you get past the elite, boxers and MMA fighters aren't really paid all that different.

TFK

9. TFK

I watched the fight the next morning on Dailymotion.com just out of curiosity. Lashley won, but he was far from impressive. He obviously has a lot of strength and a solid wrestling background, but he's still clueless when it comes to MMA. His strikes were horrible, he had no submission attempts, and he came real close to getting subbed himself in an armbar.

If Guida wasn't so much smaller than Lashley, he probably would've beaten him. If we're using Brock Lesnar as a measuring stick for Lashley, he has a long, long way to go.

As for the PPV itself, I didn't order it, and I can't imagine why anybody would. On the boxing side you have a washed up 'has-been' facing a washed up 'never-was', and on the MMA side you had two average at best heavyweights, and one of them being Jeff Monson, who is ALWAYS in the most boring fight of the night. Wasn't exactly a can't miss night of fights.

TFK

10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

This Particular Card ISN'T a Good Example to Compare MMA Cards to...It was a NON-HBO, NON-Showtime PPV...What'd it Cost, $29.95???...

REED Knows U HATE to Admit it, but Boxing Still PAYS Better on the Whole....Shit, Compare the Main Eventers Pay from This PPV w/that of the Rampage-Jardine PPV...Did Jardine Get as Much as Sheika???...

REED:mj:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  11. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Low budget event in general. Nothing interesting about those numbers. When a guy like Brian Minto can head over to Germany and make hundreds of thousands of dollars, the MMA and boxing payscales are nowhere near "similiar".

12. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I can´t believe Roy paid these out of shape MMA journeymen Nelson and Monson that much money. Some UFC guys must be mad now. :lol::lol:

13. royyjonesjrp4pno1

Nobody gives a damn about the undercard fighters and they get paid accordingly. The main event fighters who are drawing the crowds ratings/ppv buys will get paid a fair cut of the money generated. They usually get paid more then all UFC fighters for a whole card combined or in De la Hoyas case a whole year :laughing:

14. TFK

Well, this is the only boxing PPV I can find numbers on, so it's all I have to compare.

TFK

15. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

This was a part MMA event, and just a low budget show as others have attested. Not a good example.

And the boxers still earned more, so yeah :kidcool:

It's a very difficult pill for you to swallow I know, but boxers earn more than MMA fighters, elite, national level, bum level, whatever.

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

:lol: Whatever, Dude...

AGAIN, Sheika Got $50,000 for LOSING to Roy Jones on PPV...How Much did Keith Jardine Get for LOSING to Rampage on PPV???:dunno:...& Bear N Mind, the UFC PPV was Probably TWICE as Expensive as the Roy Jones PPV...REED would Bet that the UFC PPV Generated SIGINIFICANTLY MORE Buys as Well...

REED:kidcool:

17. *Z*

*Z* WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Find some boxing PPV pay outs and then we can compare. Boxing doesn't publish it's numbers like MMA. You can't compare what you can't find!

Find it and then we talk.