MOST OVERRATED BOXERS RIGHT NOW

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by lb 4 lb, Jan 3, 2010.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Name some fighters who you think are overrated and why:

Floyd Mayweather - Considered either #1 or 2 P4P by most people Floyd has not proven such credentials in years. His last real test came against ODLH in a fight he fought so safely in that he barely won. Every other test is against opposition smaller than him. The excuses are over, Floyd has simply not proven that he can beat guys like Cotto, Clottey, Shane, Margarito, Pacquiao, or Paul Williams. So why do we all still think he's so good and what are we basing it on, an undefeated record? Floyd's taken the concept of prospect building to new heights.

Paul Williams - Many have considered him one of the best at welter mostly based on his physical makeup rather than his skills in the ring. Most people don't factor in that Paul usually fights an inside sluggers style giving his opponents better chances of beating him than they should have. For instance give Paul a jab and throw him in the ring with Mosley and he should win that fight with fucking ease. If the fight actually happened though Paul would likely fight on the inside and slug with a guy who loves to slug and is durable as all hell with very good power. Shane would have a good shot of actually winning that fight in reality.

Mikkel Kessler - Considered the heir apparant to the reliquished throne of Joe Calzaghe, Kessler looked great in his win over Andrade and his loss to Calzaghe. However he never really looked good since. In his win over Perdermo he looked slow and seemed to lack fluidity. He seemed to have lost something. He looked the same in his matchup with Ward which ultimately led to him losing the fight. Now the once favorite to win the SuperMiddle Weight Tournamnet looks like the only guy he can presently beat is Jermaine Taylor, the favorite to come in last place.

Shane Mosley - After getting soundly outboxed through most of the Cotto fight, he looked horrible in the Mayorga fight and appears to have lost a lot of speed. His strength and power seems better than ever, but I think the Margarito fight has severly overrated him. Margarito was one of the slowest fighters I ever saw that night and hardly laid a glove on Shane. So the fact that Shane beat the stuffing out of a lumbering human punching bag might be getting read into a bit much and the same can even be said of Shane's so called brilliant pairing with Nazim. The Berto fight should shed more light on exactly where Mosley stands but at his age I can't imagine it'll be very good.

I'll leave some for you guys.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. Barristan

Barristan Undisputed Champion

shane mosely

3. lb 4 lb

I said give reasons. If you want you can say because I mentioned your hero Floyd and you're all butt hurt now. It's biased but at least it's a reason.

4. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Shane Mosley
    Kelly Pavlik
    Ivan Calderon
    Israel Vasquez

5. lb 4 lb

I agree with the first 2. Haven't seen the third and the last one? I think it's kind of ridiculous to think Vasquez is overrated. What are you basing that on?

6. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Chicken Boy Floyd

The same reasons as lb 4 lb. He has just ducked too many top guys to be considered p4p #1.

7. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    Robert "Quick Hands" Hernandez

The Positives: Sure he has blazing handspeed, good stamina, and knockout power.

The Negatives: He doesn't exist. I just made him up 30 seconds ago.

8. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I guess it depends on the country,... Bernard Hopkins is the most overrated American fighter,.. David Haye is by faaar and away the most overrated british fighter, and in Australia it's probably Danny Green at the moment.

If I had to choose out of those three, I think it's Haye, ridiculous, ridiculous hype.

9. lb 4 lb

You had me going dude. Good one.

You don't have to rank them by nationality or numerical order. Just list anyone you think is overrated. The why is more important than the where or the what order they fall in.

10. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Cosign.:bears:

11. Andrew

Andrew "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Manny Pacquiao - At best, split 2 fights with Marquez. Recently beat some of Floyds leftovers in a severely weight drained DLH. Beat some more Floyd leftovers in Hatton. Last fight beat a shell of the fighter known as Miguel Cotto who previously struggled to a SD against Clottey.

Now don't get me wrong its a nice resume', but hes become severely overrated.

12. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

But that's important in deciding who is 'overrated',... I'm going by the press and the forums around here,.. and Hopkins wears the name "brilliant, masterful and legend" like no other,..all because he does a sexy perimetre dance and has a tight backpeddling nervous posture. All he is, is a strict counter-puncher,..I also guess the fools add his sly nut crunches and headbutts into the equation, it makes him a filthy, revolting bitch and coward in the ring in comparison to everybody else, nothing 'awesome'..

As for Haye,.. you've got posters speaking about every other heavyweight, particularly the top ones as the logical under-dogs,..Majority British forums make me sick because amongst all the dick nibbling you'll have one pseudo objective poster claim,.. "Awww, but you know,... Vitali still has a chance",... and this is based on the Valuev fight no less,..

I think those two are pretty good candidates,.. I mentioned Danny Green because,.. the whole country of Australia doesn't have much of a clue about boxing, and in sync with the rest of the world through this filthy capitalist sport, the typical misleading properghanda is evident here to patronising proportions,..and so after Green beat, "The current p4p number 1 and greatest of all time!" and defended his "World champion cruiserweight title"... the majority of the country probably think Green's the new man. Like Reed said,..and I never get tired of repeating it,.. Danny Green,...Danny Green!,...Danny Green!!!! das da one! das da one! das da one!... and it's very true.

13. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Chris Henry.

Of course, it's only one bald headed dwarf who overates him, but that's my answer.

TFK

14. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

I would be one of the first to admit that this is a pretty reasonable analysis brother Kauki...

MTF :doh:

15. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Vazquez is VERY overrated. Many still have him ranked in the top 10 p4p.

16. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    not if they saw his last fight, they dont.

17. bigdawg

bigdawg Undisputed Champion

P.O.
    Chris Arreola. Just wait till he takes off his shirt and you will understand why! I'll Holla 5000

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    George Foreman in 1994. Just wait till he takes off his shirt, and then takes off Moorers head, and you will understand why.

19. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    SHANE MOSELY and not just now, ever. He really only has one victory over a very good and prime fighter. He second greatest victory was over Margarito. That's all you need to know.

Hopkins for much the same reason. Both fighters lost nearly ever big fight they had against guys their own size. Hopkinss feasted on smaller men for his entire careers.

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

The bottom line is, fighters who regularly face the best opposition cannot by definition be over-rated.

On the other hand, it's fighters who refuse time after time to face the best opposition who wind up over-rated very often.

21. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Would you call a fighter who consistently cheats (by, say, loading his gloves) an over-rated fighter?

22. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

a better question for your dumbass would be who's NOT over rated?

23. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    A better question would be why somEONE as dumb as you would ever call his superior a dumbass.There are many underrated fighters and overrated. It depends on your perspective. I would say Mosely and Hopkins are on the high end of the overrated spectrum. Winky Wright gets shit on, yet he stomped Tito and Mosely with ease, absolute ease.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  24. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Pavlik & Williams

25. Double L

Double L Book Reader

People who cheat - yeah - they tend to get over-rated since their cheating, which is unbeknownst to observers, allows them to perform above and beyond their ability.

For example, in the wake of Margarito's win over Cotto, people like you disappeared, unable to cope with the reality they had underrated Margarito.

However, in light of Margarito's having probably cheated against Cotto in order to win, people like you reappeared, under the false impression they were vindicated.

The reality is, though, that Margarito, the one with loaded gloves, is the fighter who beat Cotto. He's the fighter you said was no good. Therefore, you were WRONG in your assessment of Margarito, even in light of his cheating. So you should probably disappear once again. Since you were wrong about Margarito.

26. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    :notallthere:

27. ElTerriblee

ElTerriblee "Twinkle Toes" McJack

With Shane it´s always a question of whether the vitamines work. Margarito good, Mayorga not so much. :boohoo:

That Vasquez/Marquez and Calderon are still rated top 10 p4p by some writers just shows what a poor bunch is working the net. Vasquez/Marquez have been ruined by their trilogy and Calderon can only protect his 0 by busting his forehead open repeatedly.

28. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Thing is, lots of fans don't hesitate to declare a fighter's career is over when he registers a loss - particularly if it's a decisive ones.

My guess is, many of these fans are the sames ones who protest when a fighter is elevated in the rankings because of a particularly impressive win.

It's not logical. Either one fight matters or it doesn't.

29. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

How could I have disappeared in the wake of Margarito's win over Cotto if I had been banned 3 months prior to the fight and remained banned for 9 months after the fight? :dunno:
    Why do you feel the need to keep lying, Double?
    Is compulsion to lie so great that you can't overcome it?
    There's a medical treatment for a condition known as "liarus chronicus".
    Do you think you should try seeking professional help, Double?

30. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

so you've mentioned 1 guy you dont consider over rated, shit bird.