Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez @ 130, LW, 142

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Dog Jones, May 23, 2010.

1. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Just for kicks, I'll add the 142-lb. versions of each man (the Marquez that fought Mayweather vs. the Chavez that fought Whitaker). Who wins at 130, LW, and 142?

2. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Tough to say by the time they reached Welter, if for no other reason than the fact that Marquez had one outing there, against a fighter who would do to him what Mayweather did at any weight. He was definitely closer to his peak at Welter than Chavez, but Marquez doesn't have the form there for us to judge decisively, I dont think.

Sadly, what is decisive are Chavez victories at both 130 & 135lbs, IMO. Marquez is really up against it, here. He's such a wonderful fighter, & so versatile & committed to the task at hand, that I can see him being plenty competitive, but I don't think he gets the best of it down the stretch. Marquez was not as elusive as Whitaker, & offensive counter-punching is a very difficult game against an opponent who's so busy, the opportunity to fire back is rare, unless you're going punch-for-punch with them, which is not a fightplan I can see Marquez working for him.

I think Chavez deserves favouritism, but Marquez is smart enough & talented enough to be valiant & competitive in defeat. If he were just a little swifter on his feet...

3. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Chavez every time, but GOOD fight at 130... the rest, Marquez is valiant but hopelessly outgunned

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Agreed with Cdogg. Its only competitive at 130. At 135, and 140, JM gets beaten like a slave.

5. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

LMAO, dude, you always kill me with these:lol:

You've bveen doing it for 10 years and I never get tired of it

6. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

I was going to make a thread about the matchup...but i was sure i seen it before so i used the search function....awesome....

anyway BUMP for those who think Marquez is better than Chavez....

7. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

At 135 who knows, because the only Marquez we've seen there is in his mid to late 30's.

At 130 Marquez wins. Excellent boxing skills, incredibly accurate, fluid combinations, very sharp counter puncher, and enough power to discourage Chavez from plowing forward.

Importantly, the timing and accuracy to land punches, and the balls to actually throw combos even when being attacked.

8. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I get the feeling lately you would pick Chavez's own mother to beat him. The way you pontificate about Duran walking through the man as though he were a journeyman in the other thread has been downright embarrassing.

9. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Lmao at enough power to discourage Chavez

MWS you are a retard

Chavez faced waaaaaaaay harder punchers than Marquez and walked straight through them with chilling ease