Terry Norris vs. Oscar De La Hoya @ 154

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Dog Jones, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Who wins?

2. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

hmmm........................................

Oscar is dropped and outboxed but eventually takes his man out in 11 rounds.

3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Norris UD's him in similar fashion to how he did Leonard. Norris was bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled, better stamina, and just plain better then DLH at 154.

4. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Sounds plausible. Not sure though.... Im not sure Norris' chin is quite as bad as popularly remembered, and Im not sure if Oscar had the kind of resolve he'd need to get that done at 154.

Tough one. I'd lean slightly towards Norris, I think

5. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Of course, the complexion of the bout would be quite different, but at this weight, De La Hoya did stop a Vargas who was much more durable than Norris, & as I recall, very few people at the time considered that a plausible outcome.

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Vargas was already damaged goods when Oscar fought him. Oscar wanted NO PARTS of Vargas when Nando was undefeated, but Tito beat him down, THEN Oscar didnt mind fighting Vargas. So, I dont think the Vargas that fought Hoya was any more durable then Norris. Wilfredo Riveria damn near KO'd Vargas two fights before Oscar beat him. And furthermore, duarbility aside, in Norris we're talking about a guy with FAR more speed and ability then Vargas, harder to hit, and more firepower.

I think its pretty funny when people act like EVERY good fighter in history w/a good punch beats Terry Norris.

The style matchup here favors Terry big time.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  7. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Most of that I would agree with, except this commonly-held perception Vargas was ruined by Trinidad. I don't buy it, personally. I remember being really surprised & impressed by Vargas against De La Hoya (before the cheating came to light). He ran him close right throughout, & did not, to my eyes, look the dramatically-diminished fighter so many speak about.

Of course, this would be a very different fight, but I think Vargas in 2002 deserves the nod over Norris for toughness & general durability.

8. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Trinidad "ruining" Vargas is utter horseshit

Terry Norris's chin WAS THAT BAD

Carry on...

9. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    If you tell me it is I'll believe it, but to me getting absolutely drilled by Jackson 3 times and still beating the count isn't really a condemning comment on your chin. Was there anything beyond the first Brown fight the rep is based on? Granted his chin looked pretty shitty in that fight, but he might well have gotten nailed with a shot to the temple early or something.

Was he regularly hurt and wobbled during his prime? I've only really seen his big fights.

10. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yeah he was wobbled quite a few times. He's come back to win even those fights though. It wasn't as if he got hurt every time he got hit cleanly or would get KO'd by anybody with a punch. That said his chin certainly was a big weakness in his game.

Oscar most certainly could hurt and/or knockout Norris with his excellent left hook. Only problem is it wouldn't be easy for De La Hoya and Terry would be on the lookout for that shot the entire time.

You could make a case for either guy really. It's either going to be De La Hoya by KO or Norris by decision.

11. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Norris shitty chin was helped by the fact that his opposition consisted of garbage junior middleweights and old shot welterweights

but yes it was every bit as shitty as has been purported