Mayweather - Pacquaio

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Hut*Hut, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Right, I think we should all be resigned to this not happening.

What do you think would have happened?

I've went back and forward on it, but I've settled on the conclusion that Pac would have F'd that boy up. Floyd has slipped in the last few years and Pac is just a terrifyingly bad combination of accuracy, movement, volume and speed. If Mosley could get through on Floyd for as long as he could sustain 5th gear sans supplements, Pac certainly could too. And he could keep getting through for 36 minutes.

If it happened in 2011 I wouldn't even rule out a stoppage.

2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I always picked Floyd to defeat Pac. My main reasoning was that when the opponent could match Pac's speed at some level, he was in trouble. That's why he had hard time with likes of Morales and JMM but easily beat Hatton and Cotto.

However the fact that PBF never wanted the fight makes me wonder. If he didn't think himself that he could win, perhaps there was a reason

3. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    Bingo.........

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Pacquiao. Which is why PBF is running scared.

6. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Pac for me, and by stoppage late. Too fast (this is the key for me: Floyd would be at a natural speed disadvantage, and markedly, for perhaps the first time in his life), too powerful and too relentless. Floyd knew it too- that man wants absolutely nothing to do with the little Phillipino wrecking machine.

MTF

7. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I still favor Floyd by UD but Pacquiao would have to be the livest "underdog" in history.

8. Destruction and Mayhem

Floyd tried to make the fight, Pacquiao didn't want the drug test thing. Y'all musta forgot.

Besides Lennox Lewis never wanted to face Chris Byrd and actually gave up a title rather than face him. I doubt Lewis was scared for Byrd...

9. Destruction and Mayhem

Did you pick Hatton to stop Floyd too?

10. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Paco late round tko. Floyd would quit on his stool after taking a savage beating. It would be competitive for the first 3 rounds but from then on Paco would just land all kinds of shots. Floyd quits after 8 rounds.

11. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    First, Pac already accepted to the testing, which you must have missed. And if Floyd really wanted the fight, he would be beating up other big names and demanding Pac in the ring. We aren't seeing that.

Also, Lennox-Byrd example does not work, because Lewis clearly had bigger and more rich fights in horizon. Nothing is bigger than Floyd-Pac and there is no good reason (for either side) not to make it happen.

12. Destruction and Mayhem

Yup. The same man who struggled with Floyd's son (Marquez), in two fights, dominates Floyd in just 8. Makes a hell of a lot of sense...

13. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Let's wait for that guy who always brings out Ali-Norton-Foreman whenever somebody compares common opponents:popcorn:

14. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Welterweight. Not super featherweight, welterweight.

15. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Mayweather on points, 8-4, 9-3, 7-5

16. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I didn't check...is this in the mythical matchup thread?

First and foremost I hope Floyd goes to prison. Above all else that's what i want to see.

Secondly, if this fight comes off he beats Manny. Won't be easy but he beats Manny. After the fight Floyd runs his mouth about how great he is but he's the problem and what will burn his ass...Manny's still a greater fighter historically than Pac...regardless of the outcome.

Floyd needs Manny, not the other way around.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

The point is....

Stylewise..Manny could easily deal with a counter puncher. Floyd's a better counter puncher than marquez and he's bigger, taller and faster....AND more powerful. So what logic exists to suggest that Manny dominates Floyd in 8 rounds.

You tell me Fin instead of trying to pretend that you're intelligent.

18. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I'm not trying to help the guy but the fact is that style is condusive to getting nailed with lead left hands. Floyd being more economical with his shots can work to his disadvantage and it's been years since Floyd's fought a guy who can match him in handspeed and punches.

I think Floyd figures he'll let Manny fight bigger guys, hopes that in the process he's burned out or have taken enough punishment he's a bit softened from tougher fights.

That's my guess.

Floyd will come back when he needs the money...which should be any day now...I'm hopefully it'll be after say five or six years in the pokey.

19. meetthefeebles

Didn't you pick Taylor to beat Pavlik?

The difference was that I picked Hatton because I'd followed his whole career and really wanted him to win, whereas you picked Taylor because he is black, you are black and you are also a racist.

MTF :Thumbs:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  20. meetthefeebles

Anyway, after years of to-ing and fro-ing, there are four good reasons why I pick Manny here.

Firstly, his relentless pressure is something which Floyd hasn't faced in a long time and, which Castillo showed, is something which can score success against Mayweather. Secondly, Pacquiao is a lefty and these are the fighters who have had the most joy out of Mayweather (however limited that might be). Thirdly, Pacquiao hits very hard and very often. Mayweather may or may not have a bad, good or great chin- we don't really know because no-one hits him very often- but seeing him hurt by Zab and by Mosely makes me wonder how he would react to being hit by Pacquiao. And he will get hit because, Fourthly (and most importantly) Manny is faster than Floyd is.

For perhaps the first time ever, Mayweather will lose his natural speed advantage in this fight, both in terms of hand-speed and foot-speed. It was these qualities which allowed Mayweather to beat Hatton among countless others: the way he timed Hatton coming in with that left hook was a thing of beauty BTW: but how will he react when he is beaten to the punch, consistently, for the first time in his career? Pacquiao is a master of getting into range, firing combinations of punches, and getting back out before his opponent can fire back. I think he'll do this often enough to force a later stoppage.

That isn't to say the fight won't be close, because it will be until late in the fight. Mayweather can quite certainly win, too, especially if he goes after Manny with body shots where Pacquiao has shown vulnerability in the past (and more recently against Cheato). Mayweather has underrated punching power IMHO: his speed and the angle of his shots generates more power than you would expect. Also, I would expect him to fight a fairly cautious fight (as usual nowadays), working almost entirely off the back foot and trying to catch Manny with something big as he is coming in. He would probably have some early successes with single shots and may even score a KD or perhaps score a stoppage. He would likely frustrate Manny for about half the fight and would accumulate rounds in doing so.

But he has been out of real action for a while now and it is hard, very hard, to keep Manny out of range for an entire fight if you are sharp, let along ring-rusty, and I don't think Mayweather can do it. I think he starts to tire and Pacquiao starts to impose himself, landing more and more through the middle rounds which slows Mayweather down in turn. By about the tenth I'd expect to see Manny teeing off almost at will forcing a referee stoppage.

MTF

21. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I might have seen this fight settling into a bit of a Leonard-Hearns dynamic within a few rounds, once Floyd realises he can't keep up with Manny's foot speed and peppering combos. He could have well found himself in the unfamiliar position of having to go looking for Manny, hoping to hurt him, wih Manny doing the moving.

Manny's foot speed as a welterweight is the key to everything he does there, Floyd's certainly never seen anything remotely like it.

22. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

23. Destruction and Mayhem

:atu:

Have you seen a pic of me with my wife? Racist?

You ALWAYS pick against Mayweather...even a limited short armed brawling cunt like Hatton. You have zero credibility where Mayweather is concerned chump.

24. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    This is the very same reason I gave you as I picked Floyd. However, it does not work that simply. It could be that PBF collapses under the pressure Manny gives him, maybe he gets frustrated and can't follow his game plan. etc. On paper, Floyd should win, but on paper he would also accept the fight

25. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I think given their relative performances from 140-154, on paper, Manny wins.

26. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Beating a super featherweight at welterweight doesn't do very much for you on my paper.

27. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

:lol: Come on, man. Put it however you want, but we all know why you guys picked Hatton.

28. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Because he'd been following his career since his debut and REALLY wanted him to win? Same reason loads of people picked Tyson against Lewis against all impulses of common sense.

I went back and forward between my heart and my head on both fights. Starting to GAMBLE has been the best thing I've ever done for my ability to analyse fights - it really kicks sentimentality out QUICKLY when your cash is on the line.

29. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Never let your heart rule your head when picking fights. Alot of people fall into that trap.

30. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    If your money isn't on the line it doesn't really matter. Enjoy the notion that your guys gonna win if you like.