Biggest effort and NON effort while LOSING their FIRST title fight.

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by BOSS, Aug 11, 2011.

1. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Complicated enough? Watch people willl mess it up but anyway here's the deal. Little Jimmy (just an example don't boxrec little jimmy)wants to be a boxer so he trains his whole life moves up the rankings sheds sweat blood and tears and finally his first title shot comes. Something he's been dreaming about for 20 years. He loses the fight but did he give his all or his none ? List both cases.

2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    The first two to pop into my mind

Effort: Zeljko Mavrovic
    None effort: Audley Harrison

3. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

David Haye for the first scenario.

4. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

hard to beat tua for non-effort

5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

David Tua is fat.

6. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

I'd like to also point out that he's fat.

7. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:clapagain:

8. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Tex Cobb goes 30 rounds with Holmes he wins

Would Hakkar qualify for the non effort

9. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Not IMO. People only remember the ridiculous 1st round of that fight but in fact in 3rd round or so Hakkar settled down and actually tried. He took his lumps and actually threw some combinations. Of course, Hopkins could have taken him out whenever he wanted to and the fight was a farce, but Hakkar ended up doing the little he could

Rick Frazier vs Roy was far worse

10. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I'll nominate Diosbelys Hurtado for greatest effort. He was a 140 lb fighter still on the eight-round level when he got the call to fight Pernell Whitaker for the welterweight title.

Moved up in weight and class, and came within 1 1/2 rounds of unseating arguably the P4P best fighter in the world at the time (or at least right behind Roy on the list).

Ugo might have checkmate on Audley Harrison for non-effort. I honestly can't think of a better example.

11. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

Snap! (Both @ 3.04).

12. salaco

salaco Undisputed Champion

Effort: Nelson vs. Sanchez
    Non-effort: Kevin Johnson vs. Vitali

13. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

14. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    In terms of a guy who waited essentially his whole career for a title shot, I'd nominate the outstanding Mexican bantamweight Jesus Pimentel. Guy watched numerous less-deserving guys get title shots before him until when he was on the fade, the great Ruben Olivares gave him a long-overdue shot...

In there with a legend at his peak, Pimentel slugged with passion but withered down the stretch and took a beating until his corner stopped it... it was his final career fight and lone title shot

15. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

exactly, Hakkar first round was awfull, but overall, he gave a pretty gutsy performance considering how overmatched he was.

16. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

He gets a bad rap for the Lewis fight, but truthfully Lewis is very tall and has a ridiculous reach. Tua is 5'9 with T-Rex arms. Stylistically it was impossible for Tua to be able to do anything as long as Lewis fought tall.

17. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Perhaps, but what honest effort did Tua make to prevent that?

Tua has that despicable quality which so evenly defines Pacific Islanders. NO DETERMINATION.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    yes that pacquiao sure lacks determination. racist!

19. Ramonza Soliloquies

Hardly would include Pacquiao in the spirit of the term, "Pacific Islander," call it a colloquial distinction. You can also call it almost infallibly correct, in my vast experience.

20. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I understand this doesn't apply, but given how poorly the effort was, I'd throw in a nomination for Derrick Gainer against JMM that nullifies his previous title experience.

21. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I've never thought of Pacific Islanders as lacking determination in sports, in fact quite the opposite in many cases, seems like a poor generalization to me.

22. Ramonza Soliloquies

I didn't limit the generalisation to sports (in fact, sports would be the least realistic area to focus on for generalising, because you're talking about exceptional individuals, not indicative of a larger populace). Also, I wouldn't consider Phillipinos in that bracket, speaking colloquially.

I'm talking about Tongans, Fijians, Samoans, New Zealander Maoris...& my considerable experience tells me it couldn't be a more accurate generalisation.

23. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Good efforts:

Richard Hall (although he did win an "Interim" title earlier) against Roy Jones
    Miguel Espino against Kelly Pavlik

Overmatched opponents who were willing to take risks and received beatings. Espino fared fairly well all things considered.

24. Destruction and Mayhem

This post sounds a little prejudice, Ramonza. You're Portuguese, don't forget that, don't get caught up in the racist Austrailian metality towards non-whites.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

Pacquiao isn't considered a Pacific Islander

26. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I haven't rewatched it, but at the time I never agreed with this sentiment. It was David Tua. Everyone outboxed him as he threw hard, sporadic shots and he waited for one to land before he expended any energy. I thought he was throwing those hard shot throughout the fight and he just never got through to Lennox to go to phase 2.

27. Ramonza Soliloquies

I wouldnt rush to judgement for judgements' sake on this one. I wouldnt be saying what Im saying if this were my experience with the majority of Islanders. After all, a lot of Aussies in Sydney take a dim view of the sizeable Lebanese community we have - pack-mentality cowards, thugs, violent, rapists etc - & sure, there is a big element of that which really hurts their image - but I cant prejudice them because I understand it for what it is - some letting others down.

However, Sydney has a massive Fijian/Tongan/Maori/Samoan population - & in all my years, I cannot recall seeing one - not one! - who wasnt clinically obese and adoptive of a lazy attitude toward any kind of work. I'll leave aside the two other popular stereotypes Sydney has toward them, but this one has proven infallible beyond exception. David Tua ir allegedly an elite athlete, or was, but he was rarely, rarely able to keep his weight down, because its his culture, as an islander (he is either Samoan or Tongan from memory) to over-eat massively & just avoid the hard yards. In the protective bubble of having rare motivation, as an athlete does, he received some protection from that. However it is said a man cannot hide from who he is inside the ring - & like Golota, Tua was exposed by Lewis. I think if you had been here the many years I have, & been confronted with the amazing consistency I have, I dare say youd have the same ideas.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  28. Destruction and Mayhem

Fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I do know that Australia has traditionally been the most racist nation on Earth...having a "WHITE AUSTRALIA policy" for almost 100 years. ANd the way the Australian Aborigne has been treated....Ai yi yi! I think they've only be counted as humans in the last 20 years or so, only recently being able to vote.

So I would hate for you to have been caught up in that madness.

29. Ramonza Soliloquies

Honestly, Im too young to be caught up in the Aboriginal affairs - my experience has been only of them receiving the same rights as whites (Im 27) with a few exceptions - those being benefits reserved exclusively for Aboriginals & the related Torres Strait Islanders - such as leg-ups in education, housing, mortgages etc. I know of these because my one of my sisters' kids are half-Aboriginal, & therefore eligible to those benefits whites & other nationalities do not receive - so in my relatively short life, it hasnt been so bad, at least in terms of the Government. Obviously on the street, there is still a tonne of resentment today between whites toward Abos, & vice-versa.

30. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

An aborigine lady threw a full McDonalds coke cup at my head once in Perth because I wouldn't give her any change (didn't have any). She missed.