Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein-shakes, supplements.

Undisputed Champion

Question Protein-shakes, supplements.

Protein whey-shakes, BCAAs, Creatine, Nitric Oxide, testosterone-boosters, thermogenic fat-burners.....who takes any or all?

When I was away in Rio de Janeiro, I noticed all the natural-juice-bars were stacked with protein-powders to add to drinks and I was toying with the idea of adding protein-drinks to my diet.

Do they really work?
    Last edited by Dark Magus; 04-26-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Boxingpress Alumnus

Whey Protein. 30grams within 30 minutes of waking up. Considering a second shake in the afternoon.

The Mackintosh of temazepam Hut*Hut's Avatar

A multivitamin. And a good whey protein if you're either too lazy/busy or skint to eat enough proper food protein.

Rest are pretty much money down a hole, IMO. Save your money and get some roids if you want a supplement.

That's my take.
    Quote Originally Posted by loadedgloves View Post
    Vijay has godo raw puri but toney liks berger king by a mile

Lok, drinks a special protein from the tap. I won't try it.
    ARTHUR ABRAHAM HAS DONE NOTHING TO DESERVE A BANDWAGAN: FREE IKE, Mexican Wedding shirt (V.P and president of Western Europe division)
    Roberto Duran's style was homosexual and Ruizian. Facts are fun.
    [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/R._Budd_Dwyer,_moments_before_the_end.jpg/200px-R._Budd_Dwyer,_moments_before_the_end.jpg[/IMG]

Steroids are awesome !!!!

Life is good

The Mackintosh of temazepam Hut*Hut's Avatar

Have you taken them BOSS? Did your morning wood make an ominous throbbing sound like a Warp engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by loadedgloves View Post
    Vijay has godo raw puri but toney liks berger king by a mile

lol No i haven't taken them I'm just joking. But i hate them! Somebody like me will work out hard for years and some next punk will just take roids and get 10x the results in 10x the time! Not fair I tells you!

Life is good

Not Ordinary

Whey protein shake, 25-30g, when I wake up, then again before training, and then right after training, then one more before bed. I eat my meals every 3-4 hours all day long regardless of the shakes.

Creatine Monohydrate, 10mg per day on training days, 5mg per day on non-training days. On training days, I take 5mg before my workout, and 5mg right after my workout.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils and ZMA every day also. Fish oils and ZMA spread out every 5-6 hours, 3x per day.

When I have it, I will take a half scoop of Superpump Max right before my workout too. Its a very low dose but it works very well for me. If I take more than a full scoop, I'll sweat like a pig in the gym and won't feel any better than just taking 1/2 scoop.

Not Ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS View Post
    lol No i haven't taken them I'm just joking. But i hate them! Somebody like me will work out hard for years and some next punk will just take roids and get 10x the results in 10x the time! Not fair I tells you!
    What's not fair is that it should be legal. Too many positive health benefits for them to keep it illegal. OTC Ibuprofen kills more people every year than steroids. Its utterly ridiculous how skewed the data is on steroids and the media confusion.

Watch the movie Bigger, Stronger, Faster* and it will clear up all of the BS that the mainstream has with steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Whey protein shake, 25-30g, when I wake up, then again before training, and then right after training, then one more before bed. I eat my meals every 3-4 hours all day long regardless of the shakes.

Creatine Monohydrate, 10mg per day on training days, 5mg per day on non-training days. On training days, I take 5mg before my workout, and 5mg right after my workout.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils and ZMA every day also. Fish oils and ZMA spread out every 5-6 hours, 3x per day.

When I have it, I will take a half scoop of Superpump Max right before my workout too. Its a very low dose but it works very well for me. If I take more than a full scoop, I'll sweat like a pig in the gym and won't feel any better than just taking 1/2 scoop.

How do you make your shake and what do you put in it?

I've read some blend in ice and other ingredients like banana, spinach, spirulina etc.

I assume you're using a whey isolate...perhaps one scoop.
    "Big bro, will you tell me a bedtime story?"

Not Ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Muzse View Post
    How do you make your shake and what do you put in it?

I've read some blend in ice and other ingredients like banana, spinach, spirulina etc.

I assume you're using a whey isolate...perhaps one scoop.
    Nothing fancy at all Muzse. Everyone has their own voodoo mix but I keep it simple. I've been using Optimum Nutrition Whey protein for years now, its not the cheapest or the most expensive but its always tested very well under independent tests. ON makes great supplements in general, and I use their Creatine Monohydrate and Fish oils also.

As for mine, its pretty simple, when there's no creatine in the mix, and its just 1 or 1 1/2 scoops of ON whey protein, its 6-8oz of water and that's all. When I mix it with creatine which is usually right before and after my workout, I use 8-12oz of Powerade for a slight insulin spike which has been shown to slightly improve creatine absorption. Also, the extra carbs are nice right before your workout and critical right after your workout to replenish glycogen levels.

Not Ordinary

On a side note, there's no substitute for actual food protein, even whey protein is good as it is, can't compare to food protein but its very difficult to eat 200-250g of food protein in a day every single day. The real benefit of whey protein is the amino acids and its loaded with them. Its very important to keep your body in a high amino acid state throughout the day to rebuild muscle so this is why I take whey protein 3-4x daily spaced evenly for the most part. I still consume at least some eggs, peanuts, beef, chicken or fish every day in every meal.

Undisputed Champion

Similar to mine, but Ive supplemented my protein-shakes (very-low carbohydrate %) with BCAAs before, during and after my 60 mins weights session.

My diet right now pretty much consists of:
    oats, eggs, chicken, beef, fish, brocolli, spinach, peanut/almond butter, flaxseed, 2-3 liters of water a day, maybe 2-3 espressos in the morning

'Cheat day' is either Friday or Saturday night when I'll have food that isn't really good for me (pizza, savory snacks, dips, etc) and either beer or red wine (if I'm in the mood0
    Last edited by Dark Magus; 08-22-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Not Ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magus View Post
    Similar to mine, but Ive supplemented my protein-shakes (very-low carbohydrate %) with BCAAs before, during and after my 60 mins weights session.

My diet right now pretty much consists of:
    oats, eggs, chicken, beef, fish, brocolli, spinach, peanut/almond butter, flaxseed, 2-3 liters of water a day, maybe 2-3 expressos in the morning

'Cheat day' is either Friday or Saturday night when I'll have food that isn't really good for me (pizza, savory snacks, dips, etc) and either beer or red wine (if I'm in the mood0
    Nothing wrong with that man, sounds very nourishing if you can stick to it. Consistency is what gets most people. You can't eat like that for 3 days then cheat for 2 days and then come back to it. People lose results all the time by simply not being consistent.

Undisputed Champion

Nothing wrong with that man, sounds very nourishing if you can stick to it. Consistency is what gets most people. You can't eat like that for 3 days then cheat for 2 days and then come back to it. People lose results all the time by simply not being consistent.
    Yeah - as I found out!

For me, its now all about re-conditioning my apetite, which is easier than it sounds. I'm eating this 5 times a day - I don't eat for the taste, I eat cos I can't deadlift, squat, press, etc, after a day of cakes, coffee, McDonalds, sandwiches, cookies....even 1-2 small beers on a mid-week night was making me feel tired when I woke up and come 5pm, I didnt want to train.

It helps that my girlfiend is a gym-rat as well...

Thread Information