Protein-shakes, supplements.

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Protein whey-shakes, BCAAs, Creatine, Nitric Oxide, testosterone-boosters, thermogenic fat-burners.....who takes any or all?

When I was away in Rio de Janeiro, I noticed all the natural-juice-bars were stacked with protein-powders to add to drinks and I was toying with the idea of adding protein-drinks to my diet.

Do they really work? :dunno:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Whey Protein. 30grams within 30 minutes of waking up. Considering a second shake in the afternoon.

3. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    A multivitamin. And a good whey protein if you're either too lazy/busy or skint to eat enough proper food protein.

Rest are pretty much money down a hole, IMO. Save your money and get some roids if you want a supplement.:lol:

That's my take.

4. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    Lok, drinks a special protein from the tap. I won't try it.

5. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Steroids are awesome !!!!

6. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Have you taken them BOSS? Did your morning wood make an ominous throbbing sound like a Warp engine?

7. BOSS

BOSS TBD

lol No i haven't taken them I'm just joking. But i hate them! Somebody like me will work out hard for years and some next punk will just take roids and get 10x the results in 10x the time! Not fair I tells you!

8. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Whey protein shake, 25-30g, when I wake up, then again before training, and then right after training, then one more before bed. I eat my meals every 3-4 hours all day long regardless of the shakes.

Creatine Monohydrate, 10mg per day on training days, 5mg per day on non-training days. On training days, I take 5mg before my workout, and 5mg right after my workout.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils and ZMA every day also. Fish oils and ZMA spread out every 5-6 hours, 3x per day.

When I have it, I will take a half scoop of Superpump Max right before my workout too. Its a very low dose but it works very well for me. If I take more than a full scoop, I'll sweat like a pig in the gym and won't feel any better than just taking 1/2 scoop.

9. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    What's not fair is that it should be legal. Too many positive health benefits for them to keep it illegal. OTC Ibuprofen kills more people every year than steroids. Its utterly ridiculous how skewed the data is on steroids and the media confusion.

Watch the movie Bigger, Stronger, Faster* and it will clear up all of the BS that the mainstream has with steroids.

10. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:

How do you make your shake and what do you put in it?

I've read some blend in ice and other ingredients like banana, spinach, spirulina etc.

I assume you're using a whey isolate...perhaps one scoop.

11. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Nothing fancy at all Muzse. Everyone has their own voodoo mix but I keep it simple. I've been using Optimum Nutrition Whey protein for years now, its not the cheapest or the most expensive but its always tested very well under independent tests. ON makes great supplements in general, and I use their Creatine Monohydrate and Fish oils also.

As for mine, its pretty simple, when there's no creatine in the mix, and its just 1 or 1 1/2 scoops of ON whey protein, its 6-8oz of water and that's all. When I mix it with creatine which is usually right before and after my workout, I use 8-12oz of Powerade for a slight insulin spike which has been shown to slightly improve creatine absorption. Also, the extra carbs are nice right before your workout and critical right after your workout to replenish glycogen levels.

12. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    On a side note, there's no substitute for actual food protein, even whey protein is good as it is, can't compare to food protein but its very difficult to eat 200-250g of food protein in a day every single day. The real benefit of whey protein is the amino acids and its loaded with them. Its very important to keep your body in a high amino acid state throughout the day to rebuild muscle so this is why I take whey protein 3-4x daily spaced evenly for the most part. I still consume at least some eggs, peanuts, beef, chicken or fish every day in every meal.

13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Similar to mine, but Ive supplemented my protein-shakes (very-low carbohydrate %) with BCAAs before, during and after my 60 mins weights session.

My diet right now pretty much consists of:
    oats, eggs, chicken, beef, fish, brocolli, spinach, peanut/almond butter, flaxseed, 2-3 liters of water a day, maybe 2-3 espressos in the morning

'Cheat day' is either Friday or Saturday night when I'll have food that isn't really good for me (pizza, savory snacks, dips, etc) and either beer or red wine (if I'm in the mood0

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  14. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Nothing wrong with that man, sounds very nourishing if you can stick to it. Consistency is what gets most people. You can't eat like that for 3 days then cheat for 2 days and then come back to it. People lose results all the time by simply not being consistent.

15. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Yeah - as I found out!

For me, its now all about re-conditioning my apetite, which is easier than it sounds. I'm eating this 5 times a day - I don't eat for the taste, I eat cos I can't deadlift, squat, press, etc, after a day of cakes, coffee, McDonalds, sandwiches, cookies....even 1-2 small beers on a mid-week night was making me feel tired when I woke up and come 5pm, I didnt want to train. :dunno:

It helps that my girlfiend is a gym-rat as well...

16. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I'd shit in your mouth

17. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Indeed it does.

18. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Orion,

What about non-training days - do you eat the same food and same amount of calories as you would on non-training days?

Like today, I'm not training - I can't condition my body to eat much....a bowl of oats & blueberries for breakfast, some espresso, some sushi at lunch, maybe a banana, apple....and some fish/chicken & vegetables for dinner. (maybe one protein drink during the day with some natural peanut butter)

19. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    I actually do try to eat mostly the same on my off days, but remember I only have one day rest between my workouts so my appetite doesn't change much in that timeframe, if I were out of the gym for a few days, or a week, my appetite drops quickly and I don't eat the same, tapering down a bit.

I've never really had much of an issue eating the same food every day for each meal, some people really have a problem with it and get bored quickly, I just never do, maybe I don't enjoy my daily food as much as some people and I just eat to prevent the hunger. I like eating at nice restaurants as much as anyone and having different foods that taste fantastic but I don't have to have it on a regular basis or anything to get away from my routine every day diet like some people so I'm lucky I'm just wired that way.

On my off-days, I drink one less protein shake though, only because on training days I drink one right before and after my workout, on non-training days, I obviously don't need one before and after so I just drink one in that same timeframe.

Do you have trouble eating that way on off-days because you're tired of the food or because your appetite drops that quickly? I ask because lack of appetite can be caused by a few things, lack of exercise to stimulate appetite, lack of proper rest which can lead to an overtrained state. If you just don't feel like eating those foods on your off-days, then make a few small changes throughout the day to keep it fresh.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  20. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

No, what's happening to me is - my mind is saying if I eat the same amoutn on a non-training day as I do on a training-day, I'll put on uneccessary weight and ultimately, fat.

My brain will tell me on training days: "You Must East Every 2-3 Hours"

21. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Maybe if you were eating a huge excess of calories even on your training days, but you have to remember even on a training day, you're probably only burning 400-500 calories compared to a non-training day. And even when you're not training, your body still needs nutrients to heal and recuperate. A lot of it is going to come down to monitoring your body and just seeing if your calories need adjusting. I wouldn't think as long as your calories are not in a huge excess, those off-days of eating the same are going to hurt you. I certainly wouldn't make drastic adjustments though on the off-days.

22. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I was eating more - a LOT more - on training days because I noticed it helped with my lifts. I wound up cutting back because I was putting on bodyfat.

All the supplements and shakes and crap are a waste of time imo. Whey protein might be helpful, I use ON whey on occasion. But mostly I just stick to whole milk and chocolate milk

23. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Same here - my body-fat has increased since I stopped cardio and concentrated on weights, 100%
    However, Im now on a 3-week blitz before my holiday:
    • Chicken
    • Beef
    • Fish
    • Eggs
    • Green vegetables
    And pretty much fuck-all else (I've also cut down to 1 protein-drink per day).
    I'll combine that with my weight-training regimen listed on another thread.

24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Depends on what you use.

25. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I think protein powders and pre-mixed protein drinks like Muscle Milk Light and Premier Nutrition Protein work quite well. I have one of each during the day along with my regular meals and they help with recuperation. I'm also now getting 8hrs of sleep a night, which I haven't done since I was in college. The heavy weight training has me feeling a bit sleepy, so I'm trying to get more rest.

26. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Ditto.
    I always had a problem around 2-4pm, yawning at work, then maiking the mistake of eating something sugary.

Don;t get that now with enough hours of sleep.

27. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    It's 10am here, and I'm yawning. Of course, I get up at 5, but I shouldn't be feeling this until after lunch. I guess it's also the beginning of autumn weather.

28. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

In my experience, nothing beats whole milk for strength and mass. Chocolate milk post work out. I do use ON whey sometimes like I said, in the mornings or post-workout. I like Muscle Milk, but it's basically a protein-fortified milkshake. I'll have it post workout on occasion as well.

29. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:

Not to many bodybuilders if any at all subscribe to whole milk and chocolate milk post-workout theory. We've moved on well past bodybuilding in the 50's and 60's.

30. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Hav to agree with you here.
    A friend of mine, was telling me last week that all he drank was full-fat milk when he used to train...

...25years ago.