Roberto Duran vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Ugotabe Kidding, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I don't expect anyone to actually pick JMM, nor will probably anyone even give him a chance, but if somebody recognizes this as a realistic fight that is pretty good too.

The main thing is that in primes they are the same size. Duran might be a little stronger, but as a puncher they were pretty equal compared to their weight class. The first image of people when they think of this MM is that big Duran walks over a midget, but that is false.

I'd say speed is pretty even too. Duran was quick, but not exceptionally fast for a super-featherweight and in his prime JMM was quick too.

Stylistically it is also interesting: Duran with great offense and JMM being exceptionally good in nullifying offense. JMM dealed pretty well against Pac's offense, which is somewhat comparable to Duran's. Duran was more difficult to hit, but Pac was faster than him so I do think Marquez would be landing his counters when Duran comes in.

A key point would be what happens when Duran gets in and starts his inside humping. he was very good at it, but then again, so was Marquez, who threw shots masterfully in small space and up close was clearly better than Pac in their fights. I think Marquez' body could take the punishment (as he was very well-conditioned) but Duran might take away some of his effectiveness by keeping him off balance by pushing, which he did very well.

All in all, it is a very close fight and a fascinating styles matchup. I think Duran might outwork him up close to take a decision like 7-5 or 8-4, but I could also see a narrow win for JMM. 12 or 15 rounds doesn't make a difference here

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Your Duran hating borders on pathetic.

Duran would beat Marquez within an inch of his life at 135.

3. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Good fight of course but Marquez won't be winning this.

4. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I don't care what they weighed, Duran provides a pace and defensive ability while forcing that pace that JMM simply can not handle. To me, it's not even that close a fight. Duran is not Alfonso Zamora, he was a great defensive fighter and Marquez has always had trouble when pushed back consistently.

5. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    It would be like the HBO series "Oz." Marquez, an honest actually skilled fighter, with a legal style would be treejumped and raped by the vile humping savage Roberto "Little Ruiz" Duran.

6. Free Ike

None
    Holding your opponents arms is a pretty effective defense. I agree.

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I was referring to the superb reflexes and head movement

8. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Duran would roast Marquez's ribs

9. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    He'd leave him colder than Blue Bell ice cream

10. Free Ike

None
    Never caught any of that. I just saw a raven haired peasant jump and rape opponents like they took his last taco. What do I know though. I have only seen every televised fight Roberto , the humper , ever had.

11. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Watch Duran/Leonard I and watch how much difficulty one of the greatest fighters of all time had trying to land clean punches on him

12. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    This is exactly the kind of silliness I don't understand.

JMM is, according to pretty much everybody, a great fighter and pretty high on ATG rankings in his own weight class. Apart from old-timers, if you are an ATG fighter, you are usually not outclassed in your own weight class, right?

He has battled evenly against a guy who is universally recognized as one of the best offensive fighters ever. His combination punching and timing are comparable to anyone in history.

How the hell, then, is he a pushover here against another great fighter that is his own size? Again, I am not saying he wins but to predict a one-sided beating has no basis.

This same thing happens often in MMs. It takes time for modern guys to be regarded as greats, and even when they do, people don't give them a chance against the best from a couple of decades ago. I do recognize that we don't have as many great fighters now as there used to be, but a great fighter now is a great fighter in any era. JMM fits that

13. Free Ike

None
    Bless you, Ugo. I respect your rational assault against the unwashed masses. Duran is the most beloved fighter in history without cause.

14. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Ike only hates Duran because he comes from a 3rd world country. Further discussion is pointless.

Duran TKO 14

15. Free Ike

None
    Alexis Arguello is from an equally shitty country and he is probably one of my favorite fighters ever. I hate Duran because people like you literally state you would give him "oral relief" because of your enjoyment of his career. Who am I to say what a good or bad style is? However, I find Ruiz's style disgusting and therefore Duran's. He was a holding and hitting machine with few re-watchable fights, if any save for the Hearns and jOPPY FIGHT.. I have to listen to morons like Bert saccharine talk about his skill, skipping the excessive, frequent and pathological violation of the rules of boxing exhibited by Duran throughout his career.

16. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    'Fight your way out'. There was more action in Duran fights than 95% of fighters ever & literally, literally more ref breaks than than punches in Ruiz fights. Comparing Ruiz to Duran is like comparing Eichman to Gandhi because they both had organisational skills.

17. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Ugo, your comparing Duran to Pac's offense is silly.

You're right in that they both have amazing offense and Pac has the edge in speed, but the key difference here is Duran's infighting.

Marquez, albeit having a fuck load of skill, is not an infighter. Duran has the ability to get in his face and bully him, and outscore him by wide margins on the inside round after round.

Marquez would put up a good fight, he's an amazing fighter himself, and I agree Marquez was a pretty big featherweight, more like a natural 130 pounder or small lightweight, but he was a career featherweight, Duran is clearly bigger.

You only need to look at how both fighters look at welterweight to know Duran was bigger.

The late 70's Duran was a rock solid fighting machine, and ridiculously strong for a lightweight.

I can't see Marquez being competitive with the late 70's Duran actually, he'd give the early 70's Duran a fight though.

18. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Buchanan & DeJesus would both beat JMM @ 135. Duran would would treat him real nice.

19. Free Ike

None
    What shit. Duran beat Buchanan on a nut shot. Some skill. He hit a man in the nards like a would be rape victim in July.Duran's lightweight reign was shit and he was battered by an aids infested murderer.Unlike the fraudulent reign of Calzaghe, Duran couldn'teven remain undefeated in the division he was supposed to be a king in. Duran is the poor man's Chavez with a little Ruiz. Screw that humping homo and all who love him. Ignorance.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  20. mexican wedding shirt

He beat the crap out of Buchanan, if not for the borderline low blow, Duran would have won easily anyway.

Duran would have also given Chavez a 1 sided beating. Chavez has nothing on Duran.

21. Free Ike

None
    Chavezfought in a legal heterosexual style. JCC also was fun to watch. Chavez was no DeJesus either.I don't see Chavez losing to DEjESUS like the humping homo did. I don't see Duran beating Chavez handily at all. Borderline lowblow, haha. That's funny. He nearly castrated Buchanan, dirty little peasant.

22. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    De Jesus/Chavez is a 50/50 fight at Lightweight

23. mexican wedding shirt

As I said before, you simply prefer Chavez's style. He has nothing on Duran, nothing at all, and he has the style that would enable Duran to give him a brutal, 1 sided beating.

24. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    duran was a better fighter, but not by a landslide. marquez would've fought at 130 or 135 had he been in the 80s. i think he gives duran hell in a losing effort.

25. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    i see that chavez's name is mentioned again. i guess i'm in the minority who thinks that chavez would've given duran all he could handle. there's not a SINGLE fighter who'd have an easy time w/ chavez at 130 or 135.

even dundee said himself before the meldrick taylor fight that chavez is the toughest fighter he's ever seen.

26. mexican wedding shirt

Duran Chavez would be a similar fight to Floyd Marquez.

Chavez doesn't have one advantage, or the style to trouble Duran. It would be a 1 sided fight.

27. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

JMM made featherweight a long time. He's two weight classes smaller than Duran.

28. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I have never understood that thinking.

Chavez is a handful for anyone ever and beats 95% of them

29. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Duran by dec

it'S probaly getting ugly for JMM late

Chavez beats duran tough, his straighter punched would land before Duan looping shots

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  30. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Duran fucks Chavez' girl in front of him and makes him cheerlead