1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

ARGO

GENRE - DRAMA

PREMISE - (From IMDB) "In 1979, the American embassy in Iran was invaded by Iranian revolutionaries and several Americans are taken hostage. However, six manage to escape to the official residence of the Canadian Ambassador and the CIA is eventually ordered to get them out of the country. With few options, exfiltration expert Tony Mendez devises a daring plan: to create a phony Canadian film project looking to shoot in Iran and smuggle the Americans out as its production crew. With the help of some trusted Hollywood contacts, Mendez creates the ruse and proceeds to Iran as its associate producer. However, time is running out with the Iranian security forces closing in on the truth while both his charges and the White House have grave doubts about the operation themselves."

CRITIQUE
    - Pretty good film, but not as good as the landslide positive scores you keep hearing about. The positives are all there, great directing, attention to detail and pacing. However, for a drama it was missing the main ingredients to make it interesting and that is there wasn't enough good dialogue or conversation. There was always stuff going on, but unfortunately most of it just wasn't very interesting. One thing I really did like though was after the operation was over, the film didn't just end like some lazy film makers would have done it. They showed the after effects of the operation and the people involved with it.

Score - 6.5/10 (Low replay value)

2. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Another thing I'd like to mention. I had all intentions of skipping this film but then my girlfriend who doesn't usually like dramas wanted to see it based on the positive reviews and high scores it was receiving. So after warning her at least 3 times that this wasn't going to be her kind of film we went and saw it and it was just like I thought it would be.

I could tell from the trailer where the film would be lacking and that I wouldn't like it that much, even though it falls in my favorite film genre (drama). And yeah, the girlfriend was bored with it. Funny how they never listen hunh?

3. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    You two seem very compatible.

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Same story here with Mrs Panchy: she listens to her friends hype something and no matter what I said she wants to watch it and usually ends up bored and with me saying 'I told you so'.

5. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    it's a good movie

suspenseful, though i had zero idea of what it would be about before watching

6. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :lol:

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Agreed.
    I watched it last night - I thought it was excellent! 8/10

In fact, watching this has made me downgrade 'Zero Dark Thirty' to a 6/10