1. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Any of you guys got a 3D setup in your home and if so, do you enjoy it or do you feel its a waste of money and a dying fad? My TV has has had 3D capability since I bought it 3 years ago but I've yet to buy any glasses and use it. I haven't even seen a 3D movie in the theater since its been all the rage the last few years. Most consumers seemed to be pretty mixed on it but most lean towards no interest or it was "neat" at first before the novelty wore off. Just wanted to hear your opinions, and I don't mind hearing about your movie theater experiences in 3D also if you have some to share.

2. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

It's been dying for 20 years. I bloody hate 3D

3. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Its reinvigorated again. Experts keep saying its going to fail again but Hollywood and all of the electronics companies keep throwing more money at it each year. Its not slowing down yet.

4. TKO

It seems to make a comeback every few years. The experience at the cinema is pretty awful. The technology is just not there

5. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    I think I saw Jaws in 3D when it was at the theater using those red/blue anaglyph glasses.

6. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

It's fucking horrible, and I have a "flagship" Samsung plasma with apparently great 3D. I can't even imagine sitting through a whole film in 3D, it hurts your eyes, and just feels weird. It also looks shit, and takes me out of the film because of how "cut out" the levels of depth look, rather than draw me in.

LG's passive 3D is a bit better than active, doesn't hurt your eyes as much, but ultimately the 3D effect is just really gay.

7. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    Hah, gay huh?

8. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Only two movies I remember seeing in 3D at the theater are "Beowulf" and "Prometheus", and they both made great use of the technology.

Both used it as a layering tool for the cinematography and animation, rather then a gimmick for shit to pop out at you on occasion.

As movies go, "Beowulf" probably "needed" it..........as without that experience it was an average animated movie. "Prometheus", didn't really need it at all, but used it to good effect IMO.

I don't think I'd ever bother getting a 3D TV. Most things I would imagine, it would just be a distraction.

9. TKO

It works well with animation but after that Meh

10. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    if not used to pop shit out and in your face, it can be a beautiful thing.

11. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I've never had any interest in the technology. Only way i'd ever purchase a 3D TV is if i was shopping for a new one and there just happened to be a 3D model available that was the same price as the one i was planning on getting.

Haven't watched any 3D movies yet but everybody i've spoken to has had the same complaints. Overrated, sore eyes etc.

The electronics industry can pump as much money as they want into it, if the there's not enough quality source material it will fail again. My guess is that it will fail, but another incarnation of the technology will appear again within another 5-10 years.

12. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Avengers is the only movie I have watched 3D so far and to me there was very little difference apart from having to wear those stupid glasses

13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

It's a pointless fucking gimmick that everyone jumped all over due to the success of 'Avatar', which actually made great use of said gimmick: it was actually 'built-into' the production of that movie and actually used it as a cinematogrpahic tool.

Every fucking movie released since has some kind of '3D' tag to make you think it's something special to go and 'experience;'. This 3D 'craze' is now typical of modern-Hollywood laziness and cynicism – a "we'll stick any old shit in 3D" attitude that shows nothing but contempt towards movie-goers.

The cracks in this god-awful state of affairs are starting to get bigger though: sales were down last year despire a record-number of '3D' releases, like someone said above people complaining of headaches and sore-eyes and fights between studios and theaters about who pays for the glasses.

You can argue all you like but audiences are dropping and the movie-industry in creative free-fall, these studios are trying to create 'cinema-experience' to get the punters back...and the fact is, 3D is dying.
    Although I didn't like 'The Dark Knight Rises', I agree with Christopher Nolan not converting that into 3D: "films are 3D. The whole point of photography is that it's three-dimensional"

The obvious solution is to make fucking better movies.

14. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    The source material is coming out quickly now though, many major releases now are coming in 3D also, at least in blu-ray format if not at the theater. I'm not saying it will live or die, but Hollywood insists that we must like it because they aren't slowing down at the moment.

15. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    don't bother with 3D
    either it's the same thing as 2D..or they over-do it which is just cheesy, like make something fly out at you every now and then..this is to impress rednecks

16. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    agree with those in the thread who are generally dismissive of it. I feel the same, it is generally a pointless gimmick