A SHOW OF FORCE based on a true story

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

True story event in a nutshell:

In July 25, 1978 two young puertorican pro-independence students were murdered in an ambush by the puertorican police while supposedly attempting a terrorist act at the communication towers of El Cerro Maravilla mountain. Then pro-statehood governor Carlos Romero Barcelo suspiciously was informed within minutes and announced at a political rally the accomplishment of his administration to stop terrorists and called the cops 'heroes'. The public & the media didn't buy it. Newspaper reporter, Carmen Jovet started her own investigation and little she knew the can of worms she was about to open! There were many inconsistencies in the official story plus the testimony of the kidnaped taxi driver who even in the face of death threats stated it was an ambush and the two young guys were executed. Romero Barcelo reluctantly ordered a wishywashy investigation by the Justice Department and the FBI. THEIR CONCLUSION WAS THAT NO WRONG DOING HAPPENNED. But after the opposition party won control of the Senate in the following elections an investigation was reopened an independent special prosecutor was appointed. After a lengthy investigation it came to the light that (A) the two young guys were led by undercover agent,Alejandro Gonzalez Malave, to go to El Cerro Maravilla (B) the whole thing was planned by the police in conjuction with the FBI (C) the two young guys were murdered minutes AFTER they were already wounded and under custody of the police (D) it all came from 'above orders' (even governor Romero Barcelo was seated to testify if he gave the order to kill the two students). Ten police agents ended in jail. Others were mysteriously murdered including main star witness undercover agent Gonzalez Malave. The Cerro Maravilla massacre is probably the most scandalous and talked about political murders in the history of Puerto Rico. The first book written about this event was "Murder Under Two Flags" which was the base of this movie.

I rewatched this again mainly to convince myself I was right the first time I watched it in 1990. I didn't like it much then and I didn't like better now. My main beef with this film, which other people seem to like for some reason, is that is so full of inaccuracies: it portrays Puerto Rico in 1978 like a 1930's third world! No A/C in the island's main newspaper building? LOL Ricans wearing silly clothing from another era?, Andy Garcia as the prosecutor wearing stupid looking outfit from the fifties even with a fifties hat! The lawyer he was impersonating used to wear designer's suits. The film has good performances by Amy Irving in the Carmen Jovet inspired role 'Kate Melendez', Robert Duvall as her newspaper boss, Lou Diamond Phillips as the undercover cop, Andy Garcia,despite his stupid attire, shines in his brief role as well as Kevin Spacey as the FBI agent. The film is watchable if you don't mind the liberties brazilian director Bruno Barretto took. The ending was SOOO STUPID I couldn't believe my eyes Barretto went for this last minute totally ficticious gimmick. The Cerro Maravilla case was more complicated and more fascinating than this lame sensationalistic attempt delivered. 4.5/10

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012