Jim Carrey Movies

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Yesterday at my house we had a mini-film marathon of Jim Carrey movies. We watched back-to-back Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and The Truman Show. The first Ace Ventura film remains his best comedy so far. No other actor could had possibly pulled that role funnier than Jim Carrey. The sequel "When Nature calls" while not as funny, has its good moments like the sequence when Ace has the face-off with the witch doctor's wild midget warrior. Young audiences will miss most of the joke of the opening sequence which was a direct parody of Stallone's Cliffhanger opening sequence (talking to the racoon which is about to fall, "I got you buddie!...or maybe not!"). The Truman Show is still a marvelous film. Remains timeless and it is one of his best acting jobs. Carrey was able to be funny without retorting to the Ace Ventura slapstick routine and also showed emotion and good acting range. Ed Harris was awesome as the tv producer, creator of the Truman Show. We were planning to follow this film with Liar, Liar but the damn copy of the movie doesn't play anymore. Can these 'fail to play' discs who used to work fine before, can be restored somehow?

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I love The Truman Show. I think Dumb & Dumber and Me Myself & Irene are his best comedies.

Eternal Sunshine is a very underrated movie and is worth the watch along with The Cable Guy

3. Panchyprsss

I like 'Dumb & Dumber', not so much 'Me, Myself & Irene' nor 'Cable Guy'. I watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' only once and didn't found it that interesting, even though the premise had a lot of potential the direction was slow and painful. On the other hand I think that 'The Majestic' is an underrated gem that deserves more recognition. It was a throwback to the old fashioned Frank Capra films of the 30's & 40's. A beautiful film that suffered from bad marketing campaign.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorites I think it was supposed to be slow and painful. I agree on the Majestic, entertaining movie.

5. Panchyprsss

I watch movies to be entertained, not punished.

6. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I despise Jim Carrey, find his over-the-top schtick really grating. Strangely though, The Truman Show is one of my favourite films, just a great movie.

7. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I love Man on the moon, I think that was my fave. Truman show is great, too

8. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Eternal sunshine was also cool......any script by Charlie Kaufman is good

9. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Funny guy. I love most of his early films except Me, myself and irene and cable guy. Truman Show was fantastic. I love Bruce Almighty too.

10. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Dick & Jane is also a pretty good Jim Carey movie.

11. Panchyprsss

Anyone ever watched 'The Number 23'? I have a copy of that movie for a long time, but can't motivate myself to watch it. Is it any good? Mr. Popper's Penguins was a nice little family film.

12. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Let's just say if your dvd collection consisted of 23 movies and you would wanna rank them from best to worst, this one would be named appropriately .

13. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    It's garbage.

14. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    not a big fan... I can't take him seriously in dramatic films and I either laugh out loud or want to punch him in comedies

"Eternal Sunshine" was probably the only serious film of his I enjoyed... largely because Kate Winslet is such an outstanding actress (though he was good in it)

In each of his comedies, there are moments that I love, no question but I also need to take him in small doses

15. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

This is the only part of your post I completely agree with. I've seen ES quite a few times and find it a beautiful well made film with a good soundtrack backing it up. I'm totally shocked that so many people on here enjoyed The Truman Show. Maybe I need to rewatch it. I think Carey did a very good acting job in most of his drama's but I just didn't enjoy his drama films themselves.

As a comedian I think the guy is a borderline genius with the way he takes a joke a just executes the humor around it perfectly. The only comedies of his I didn't like was Me, Myself & Irene and Dick & Jane which is probably his worst comedy period. His worst drama is definitely 23.

He did another film in 09 called I love you Phillip Morris that struck a fine balance between comedy and drama. I think most people on this board missed that film and should check it out. Here's a copy of my old critique of it:

I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS

GENRE - COMEDY/DRAMA

PREMISE -
    Carey's character starts out as a happily married man. After a near death experience he becomes open about being gay and lives his life his way. After conning his way into a high level job and then robbing the company he ends up in jail where he meets the love of his life, Phillip Morris. After getting out of jail, Carey continues to con, lie, go to jail and escape all in the effort to make Morris happy and perfect their life together.

CRITIQUE - This was one Carey movie I thought slipped under the radar as I didn't recall a trailer or hearing about it until a friend mentioned watching it. After seeing it, I see why it was so hushed. The gay theme wasn't downplayed at all. There were a couple of images here I could have done without seeing. However that doesn't bring the film down, what I think brings it down was the attempt at merging the comedy and drama themes. This was based on a true story and some of the cons this guy did were very clever and unbelievable and I think that would have played out better in a serious drama and with a different leading man other than Carey. Carey wasn't bad and the comedy actually was funny at times, but I think in this film it detracted from the story because the comedy was Carey like not realistic comedy and that is why it brought the drama aspect down. That said Ewan McGregor was sensational as Phillip Morris, this guy can really act. Overall it was a pretty good movie that I do recommend but it could have been much better.

SCORE - 7/10

Rewatchability - 3.5/5

16. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

That's ridiculous, this movie was a like a sad song. A movie does not have to be all happy and fluffy to be entertaining.

17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

MOST Carrey Comedies are Good...His Facial Expressions, Voices & Overall PHYSICAL Brand of Comedy is a GIFT...1 of the Great COMEDIC Actors of All Time....Dumb & Dumber, Mask, Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty & Others are ALL Classics...

REED Isn't Sooooo Much of a Fan when Carrey Takes himself Toooooo SERIOUSLY Though...

REED:hammert:

18. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Me, Myself & Irene, Dumb and Dumber, Liar Liar, The Mask(only time Diaz was beautiful incredible make up people i guess cause she never came close to look that awesome), Ace Ventura both, The Cable Guy....etc....great great comedies..

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Remembers OLD SCHOOL "In Living Color" Carrey...THAT's Where he HONED his Chops in Becoming the A-List Celebrity that he Is Today..."In Living Color" BLATANTLY Targeted a Young, Urban Audience, yet this Unknown WHITE Cat by the Name of Jim Carrey (THE ONLY White Member of the Cast, if REED's Not Mistaken) Stole the Show, Week After Week....

Which is Saying Alot, Because Damon Wayans, an UNDERRATED Comedic Talent, was In his PRIME...

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Yeah, it's Been DOWNHILL Ever Since, for Diaz...She Actually had MEAT on her Bones, Back Then...

21. Panchyprsss

Funny Liar Liar scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e_jyNYMzcQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>