Silver Linings Playbook

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Xplosive, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

VERY good movie! I'm surprised, I never thought Bradley Cooper could turn in an Oscar worthy performance, but he did here. At least a performance that should be given Oscar consideration. Deniro is also very good here. One of the Deniro's best performances in years IMO.

9/10

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    to me this is just hollywood forcing us to like something. In this case david o Russell and in other cases Ben Affleck as a director.

Im sick of it. Affleck is a good director, but they are trying to make him out to be the second coming. Same with O Russell.

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

What you wrote makes no sense. Why shouldn't Hollywood want us to like Affleck, he's been doing a great job as a director. Should it be held against him that he's been doing a consistently good job on the films he's directed? What do you think he's cherry picking or something? I don't know about you but Hollywood can't trick me into liking anything. They can get me to like things by putting out a good product, so if that is what they've done by having Affleck direct movies or even Russell starring in them and I actually enjoy the films, it really isn't a trick is it? You're acting like Russell isn't just an actor who was cast in a movie, or that Affleck isn't a guy who actually puts in the work to make good films, there isn't a bigger force behind all this.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Fuck you talking about? Who is this Russell actor you are talking about?

5. lb 4 lb

David O Russell. I assumed he was the lead actor from the film and couldn't be bothered to make sure. My mistake.
    My point still stands though.

6. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  7. Anthony

Motherfucker
    well now that you are clear, i can address your point.

Affleck is a good director. Good. Not great. But hollywood is trying to make it seem like he is the second coming and shit. Same thing with David O' Russell. The fighter was a good movie, not great. But Hollywood drooling over it like they did was ridiculous. Just like they are doing with Silver Lining Playbook.

Argo is a very good movie. But lets calm down. Same with Silver linning Playbook. It wouldnt suprise me one bit if O'russell won best director and Argo won best picture. even though spielberg and lincoln should win.

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    This is the best part. He doesnt even know who O'russell is, but he likes him. But yeah, Hollywood cant fool him.

9. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    i thought the movie was pretty good. the story about two mentally unstable characters was whatever, but great acting on all ends especially jennifer lawrence and deniro. cooper was surprisingly good. i thought he sucked in most of the movies he appeared in. not sure what to think of the director though. that micky ward movie was only good because of christian bale but i thought i heart huckabees was okay.

10. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Nothing new, Anthony. It is the tradition of Hollywood to shower their 'good actors' who turn directors with lots of acolades and awards even if their films aren't all that. To me "Ordinary People" was a film worthy of Lifetime Channel, but still won Best Picture and Robert Redford won the Oscar in his first job as director. Is "Ordinary People" a better film than "The Elephant Man" or "Raging Bull" released the same year? Hell, no! Same with the Oscar for Warren Beatty and "Reds", a failed attempt at making an epic historical film ala David Lean, receiving 12 Academy Awards nominations in a year were Steven Spielberg and Raiders of The Lost Ark received little to no love from the Academy.

11. lb 4 lb

First of all I never said I liked Russell. I said if I like his work then it isn't a Hollywood trick. Hollywood can sit and slobber all over whoever they won't but they can't trick me into liking anyone. You're the one who blindly defends every little trailer you post in this section before you've even seen the full film. Do I think Affleck is a very good director? Yes I do, and at the same time, even though I felt Argo was directed outstandingly I didn't find it to be a very entertaining film that I would want to sit through again. The Town on the other hand was a phenomenal film in my opinion and just gets better the more I watch it.

If you have a problem with Hollywood giving out awards to directors that you feel is undeserved and based on hype then say that. Don't go around saying Hollywood is trying to fool us. Also the studios have always been pulling out tricks to get their films Oscar's and what not. It's almost like a political election the way these guys go after each other to get their own films promoted. To be honest I never watch the Oscars and don't really care about that political side of things, I just watch the films.

12. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  13. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I could end this debate real quick by simply quoting this:
    But i will leave that little gem alone, since i never was making that point. Lets be clear. I never said Hollywood was trying to "trick" us. You did. I said force. Now im not sure if you know the difference between the words "force" & "trick" but if not, look it up. You are basically agreeing with me that the politics of it is sickening, which was my initial point from the beginning.

14. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Also, defend every trailer i post? Defend it from what? I could ask you to prove your claim, but you wont. But let's be clear. 75% of the trailers i post, i post because the trailer that made me want to see the movie. I dont post just any trailer out of the blue. I post what i like. But that is not defending the movie. It's discussing whether people will enjoy it or not.

15. lb 4 lb

The aforementioned quote you posted was badly written because I was in a hurry and had to go to a meeting so I hit send before I could clean it up. Look I didn't mean to blow this disagreement out of proportion the way I did. I thought your main point was that Hollywood was forcing us to like Affleck undeservedly but I think what you were really trying to say is that they're trying to set him up to win film awards over what you feel are more deserving candidates. What I tried to say in that aforementioned quote was that Hollywood isn't forcing us to like Affleck, and that it is each individual studio that puts out their particular film that plays the politics game and does a bunch of tricks and what not to get their films to win, but Hollywood itself can't force us to like anyone. All of the studio politics is mostly media related stuff anyway. So my apologies Anthony.

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Well i think Hollywood can force people to like stuff. You and many others, including myself may be the exception. But if Hollywood keeps saying this director is great, over and over again, many people will believe it.

17. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    this is the weirdest fucking argument I have ever seen

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    blame lib 4 lib. always trying step on my tail and shit. he is lucky i dont bust his ass

19. lb 4 lb

Bust my ass? Lol, I'm sure you mean in a verbal manner and not a physical one. But nah, you're right, it's on me. I got nothing against you Antaknee, we go way back, I've always considered you a friend, it's just sometimes my posts come off more abrasive than I intend. So my bad.

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Lib you dont have to apologies. I like our banter. And because we are cool, it makes it fun.

21. Andrew

Andrew "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Very enjoyable movie. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

22. Panchyprsss

Finally watched it. Very good movie. I love the fact that the film gives a realistic, compassionate, non-cartoonish portrayal of people with mental illness problems. These are the kind of people I work with everyday. Jennifer Lawrence deserves the Oscar as Best Actress. Her portrayal of the bipolar Tiffany was flawless. Very realistic. And incredibly sexy too without showing any skin. Robert deNiro was good as the dad. Bradley Cooper was awesome in his best acting performance ever. What I really think is a minus for the film is that it is a little bit long. Certain scenes were kind of repetitive, like the dance rehersals. I mean, in the Rocky movies you usually see two training sequences: the first one where is not doing that good, then the as-time-passes-by where he reaches peak form. Here the dance practices kind of drags. Certain characters, like Chris Tucker's (who was good btw), added nothing to the plot. If the director had cut out at least 15 minutes of the extra footage I will rank the film higher. As it stands, like Andrew, I give it a solid 8.5/10

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Chastain and Wallis were both better than Lawrence.

24. Panchyprsss

Have you seen all those performances?

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    yup

26. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Saw it tonight. Excellent film.

David O' Russell has been around a long time as a director, so I don't know what Anthony is talking about Hollywood all of a sudden pushing him on us. The guy was a pariah in Hollywood for years because he's a mental case and treated a lot of actors like shit.

I've always thought he was a solid director, and "Three Kings" is criminally under-rated.

Bradley Cooper was shockingly good, though I never thought he was as bad as many claimed. He was always pretty charismatic, just didn't always have great material to work with. Lawrence was solid and DeNiro was pretty great.

I don't know about a Best Film nomination, and the ending was kind of a sell-out, but it was solid. I don't think it was too long at all, as Panchy alluded to. Probably could have actually fleshed out the characters a little better.

8/10

27. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

Is that Three Kings with Clooney, Walberg and Ice? That was a great movie.

28. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Yup.